Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: dr.peck76 1st build(Canada)

Re: dr.peck76 1st build(Canada)

LOL, you've mentioned a couple time that it's too heavy... yeah I get it. No hard feelings. The poly works great for protection as this boat will push on dry ground, the wet sand seems to stop me but gravel bars and my own driveway I seem to do fine on.

Anyway, here's very technical question that I'm obviously confused on, and keeping in mind that I have a prop shaft over top of my engine (parallel to the floor of the boat). As I'm understanding it after your last post, If i adjust the stern end of the prop shaft down, the effect would be when running, that the front of the boat would push more down as well. (Kind of like the whole boat assembly acting like a rocker) Do I have a grasp on this or am I completely bass ackwards???

I really appreciate your advice and certainly am not wanting to take up your whole day but the conversation has me fascinated. I would have thought that by pointing the forward line of thrust at the front floor of the boat it would have pushed the front down but i think now that i see that the there must be a point where the line of thrust wants to rotate around the center of mass of the boat. .......I have no idea if that makes sense to anyone but myself.

I will add two washers to the front rigging mounts, and one washer to the center rigging mount. This will effectively point the prop wash more in the direction of the water, unless you come back and tell me I've got it all backwards LOL!!!

Also as far as more power...there is always the possibility of asking this little bullet for more, add a few more pounds of boost, maybe another fuel injector..(insert evil laugh here) LOL
    Last edited by dr.peck76; 06-16-2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: to add jokingly

You Have it right. You did a good job on the boat, just a few things missed. I know I don't do things the same as others either but I do know what will make these things run the best they can with the power available.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hey Dr Peck did you get a chance to do any tuning ???

Hi Corky, I wish I had. Before I started changing things about I noticed some of the leading edge protection on my prop was de-laminating.Name:  20150616_064507.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  91.2 KBName:  20150616_064340.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  98.0 KB I sent some pictures to Sensenich and they explained it was very unusual, and set me up with a warranty claim. they were very good, no questions at all and covered the shipping costs both ways. You may remember I've mentioned that I always thought that this prop was a little big, after discussing my running conditions with Darren from Sensenich, he agreed and we decided to exchange on a slightly smaller design which will allow me to get it pitched into a more effective setting. Long story short, the new ones should be arriving on Tuesday next week... and I've missed two weeks of the hottest weather we've seen around here in recent history.....oh well not much I can do about it. I'll be sure to report as soon as I have some news.

I think he has his prop out being repaired.

EDIT: Guess we were posting at the same time.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Thumbs up Re: dr.peck76 1st build(Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by dr.peck76 View Post
    Hey, I thought I would post some of my pictures and descriptions instead of littering other threads with my stuff. This is my first airboat build, it's 13' long over all, 5'6"at the bottom of the transom and 80" at the top. Soft chines built to a 6" radius. The hull tapers to 60"wide at the bow.Attachment 1813
    .125" floor plating, the rear 4' of the side are .125 as well with the forward sections .080". Transom is also .125" and 24" tall with a 4" center dip for prop clearance.Attachment 1812
    I Choose a 2010 Yamaha Nytro snow-machine engine for power, it is a three cylinder, four stroke, 1049cc's and dry weight is around 150lbs. This engine is from Yamaha's Genesis platform and was origionally designed as a four cylinder motorcycle engine but has found it's way into all powersports. This model is fuel injected with an aftermarket turbo set-up and produces around 200hp at 9000 rpm. Engine red-line is somewhere north of 12000 rpm.Attachment 1814
    I used the factory exhaust but had to massage it heavily due to the new turbo location, full stainless on the header. I had the pieces of the prop shaft custom machined to use 2- 1/2" pillow block bearings with a spherical roller element for axial thrust loading. Theses bearings spec out at about 1200lbs each for axial loading. The belt drive is a 36mm wide, 8mm pitch Gates timing belt.

My rigging is made from 1" by 1" by .125 wall square tubing (aluminium) with 1/8" and 1/4" gusseting. Bow deck structure is 1" by 2" by .125" tubing with the obligatory 2" aluminium pipe at the leading edge.Attachment 1815 Attachment 1816Attachment 1817
    I've been at it for almost a year now. Holidays, kids sports and paying side jobs getting in the way of my free build time at home. This past weekend I have skinned the rudders and started on the steering linkages and my level of excitement on the project is at a new high. I've had it running twice with power to the prop, and on the dollies it pushes hard enough a man can't hold it back at about 800 prop RPM.

TO do list as of Mar 8
    - complete steering linkage
    -build accelerator linkage
    -complete bow deck
    -install UHMW to bottom of hull
    -install lighting
    -install bilge pump
    ....install the 1000 little things I haven't thought of yet....
    This is sweet.

Corky, I'm happy to update on my tuning!!

I was able to put almost a full tank of fuel through the boat this weekend with about 4-1/2 hours of run-time on the river and another hour or so on Lake Isle. It was fairly windy and I spent about 1/2 my time pushing a fairly good headwind.UGH!

Anyway, after some measurements I ended up adding 1/4" to the front of my rigging to adjust the thrust angle from skyward to toward the water. Of coarse Papee was right in saying this would get rid of the porpoising. His guess that the mysterious spray and the boat lean when under power were connected was also correct. After this prop angle adjustment, the lean that had me so nervous and the climbing spray are all but gone under most conditions. The boat only porpoises at high speed and runs very level left to right now. Thanks so much for the advice and the lesson, Papee. I think I will add a little more shim to the front of the rigging just to see the result, but overall I'm very happy with the way it's running as compared with before.

Still haven't made a GPS speed measurement a priority...

I also have some good words to say on Sensenich. In dealing with my prop warranty issues, we decided instead of repairing my existing blades to trade for the next smaller model. I am now running a 70" dia. 10" wide as opposed to the 72" dia. 11-1/2" wide blade. This was a good decision as now the prop is set well into the useful pitch angle instead of running so flat. With the old one, it was set just below the first pitch mark. The 70" performs much better at all RPM's. I seem to have more push at the bottom and on river rock, the boat has no problem climbing the sloped bank. All in all a great weekend of riding.
    Name:  481.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  102.1 KB

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yusd3GM43q8 Here's a 50 sec video of July 19. The water level rose about 2 feet over night( they may have opened the dam upstream) and the riding was awesome. I've got more videos if you follow my youtube account. Cheers

Thanks for the update I'm sure I'm not the only one following this thread and hoping you get the boat fine tuned the way you expected it to run......Sounds like the prop swap was a good move and has you shifted into your powerband...You've got more than enough HP and torque to get that boat moving it just needs some trial and error as most builds do..

It looks like you're having a blast running up that stream that's what it's all about !!!

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I'm glad you're happy with it that's all that is important. My boat is a pile compared to some of these new builds but I love it! I'd put more shim in it as you mentioned, you should be able to get rid of the porpoise.

OK! we were talking about steering linkages yesterday on Corky's build, and I mentioned I'd add some pics of mine. I have very steep ratio's but I've never thought the steering to be heavy in feel, and the pieces I've fabricated have been working without fault for the hours of operation so far. (about 25)Name:  20150818_071133.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  95.5 KBName:  20150818_071238.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  97.2 KBName:  20150818_071252.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  95.9 KB The first picture is my triangle plate pivot. From center of the fulcrum to the center of both linkage points is 4", this is the same distance from the fulcrum of my rudders to the linkage point point on my rudders. This keeps the math easy as far as figuring the length of stoke differences...isn't a difference here. The second pic is of the bottom of my control stick, I have a center pivot and the reaction link has adjustment. It is about 24" up to the top of the handle from the pivot and 5" to the hole I have it set to currently.

Very nice and excellent craftsmanship !!...I like the builds where the steering stick sits high, the linkages are relatively on the same plane, and have a more direct route...In your case it got you out and around the engine and prop nicely...

I've seen the gas peddals that have the triangle pivot they're a great set-up...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

RX1 Turbo set-up

Quote Originally Posted by dr.peck76 View Post

[...] I Choose a 2010 Yamaha Nytro snow-machine engine for power, it is a three cylinder, four stroke, 1049cc's and dry weight is around 150lbs. This engine is from Yamaha's Genesis platform and was origionally designed as a four cylinder motorcycle engine but has found it's way into all powersports. This model is fuel injected with an aftermarket turbo set-up and produces around 200hp at 9000 rpm. Engine red-line is somewhere north of 12000 rpm. I used the factory exhaust but had to massage it heavily due to the new turbo location, full stainless on the header.

Attachment 1814

Great build and thread dr.peck76.

Question. Do you have any other pictures of the Turbo setup/design layout? Which turbo is this - any idea? (Bender, Full Power - or an auto turbo modified?) I'm curious how your intercooler, blow-off valve, etc is set up and can't tell from your photos. I'm looking at adding Turbo Options to my airboat build (2004 RX1 4 cyl) but don't want to pay $4K for a stock system and so far have not found anything 'used'. If anything, pics will help me along the process as I work through my build - I've been considering building my own kit. Thanks!