Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to site .

New to site .

Hello everyone im new to the site and would like to interduce myself. My name is mike i live in Michigan and was hoping to start a build on a mini. Unfortunately i dont know the first thing about airboats. So i was hoping that i might find some help from others who has been there and done that. My main plan is to build a mini boat that will be used for ice and snow on the great lakes. Im not looking so much for a boat that will go from ice to water. Just simple transportation for 2 guy and a little gear. But be able to move across the ice and snow without geting stuck. I just dont know were to start size boat,engine prop. Thanks for any help you can give me

Re: New to site .

Hello Mike and welcome to the site... What's the average temperature you'll be running your boat ??? Is there any hills where you want to run "dry" or is it strictly running the flat ice on the lakes ??? Check out "aerokirks build" in the build forum he has a video running his mini on the ice and it's actually much faster on the ice than I expected....If I was building a mini for the conditions you've outlined I'd want to build it for the worst situation where you'd break through thin ice and need to get back on it...

Corky,
    Thanks for the welcome to the site. I live in Michigan so the temps can get pretty dang cold here. -35 with wind chill today. Im basically looking for just a boat that will get me out to my fishing spots. Im looking to stay away from conditions were i will need to get in and out of water from the ice.

Are you the gentleman I talked to on the phone while I was at the hospital? If so follow Corkys build, that is what I would recommend for you. He is building almost the same boat I build with just a few cosmetic differences. I think he is also putting a reduction drive on his which you won't need.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee,
    Nice to meet you and corky and thank you both for taking the time to help me. I have been doing alot of reading on the site here. I was woundering do you think i should start out with building a small lake buggy to get my feet wet. I know they say most dont keep them long and move on to better. But for the small amount it cost to build i would not have a problem with it. It would help me get a idea of the whole process. Plus it would be a good project to have my son help out with. I have read that they will go across snow and ice ice? Just not sure if the wood hull will hold up what is your thoughts?

The teledyne 084 engine is a good choice as you can see with most running it...With the colder temps you'd definitely need to use something like the original carb air pre-heater in place or something equivilent to it...You could most certainly build the lake buggy for the first try and see where you want to go from there...My advice would be to do as others have and read every thread you can, educate yourself, then make your educated decision on what would best suit your needs...Keep it simple and dependable...The wood hull would make a great father/son project and if you're running ice you could add something to the bottom like a thin layer of poly or metal sheeting to help the slide and keep the wood intact...

Corky,
    Were is a good source to purchase the teledyne 084 engine.

I snagged mine off Ebay...Every few weeks there's a few for sale right around 5-600 plus shipping brand new in the crate..Just type in "4a084" and see what's there...Saturn surplus has the spare parts for those engines and there's a link to the site at the top of every page here...I think Saturn wants over 1000 for the new 084s they have in stock...So use that as a gauge if you can find any through another route....

I see Saturn and another company that's local here both sell parts on Ebay but it's best to call if you'd ever need anything... The guys running direct drive are getting the hubs from arrow prop {and the wood prop also} that's the inexpensive way to the fun...You'll just have to decide if you don't mind winding/pulling the rope to start it or add a 12 volt starter using one of the techniques other builders have used...The original system used a 24 volt set-up but more importantly the bellhousing/flywheel needs to come off the engine for the arrow prop direct drive...

Hi mike the hard thing to come by is a hull here in michigan i am in the midland area i have my airdrive set up using a sled motor 62 hp with belt redrive but cant find anyone to build a hull for ice i have done endless research on the hull needed for safe ice travel i will be building my own hull when it warms up here i hope soon

Fresh Water,
    Are you by chance the same fresh Water that is on sportsman forum? Well i think im getting hooked on this air boat thing. After cruising 8 miles out on saginaw bay on a 4 wheeler. I have decided to try to build my self a mini airboat. I know this boat wont be the top of the line but i figure you got to start somewhere. My hull is almost built and i hope will get the job done. It seems that airboats a far few here in michigan.. This site has been awesome for info and has been a great bunch of guys. Im just starting out and cant wait to get my engine and prop. Im definitely hooked.

yes that is me the info and the guys are great on here they have helped me a lot i think if the snowmobile engines dont work out i am going to spend the money and buy one of the robin subaru eh99 40hp 65ft pounds of tq. 5 year warranty set it up with a redrive for about 3 grand way cheaper that putting a $10,000 sled on the bottom of the bay if i can be any help at all ask away if your close by i"ll even come over and give you a hand on your boat jim

Freshwater,
    Sounds like you have a little more experience on the ice with a airboat. What is your thoughts on a boat and hp that would push decent across the snow covered ice. Its hard to find info on boats just for ice. Up here in the north our ice season is just as long as our open water season. You think more guys would be looking at building air boats.

it all comes down to hp to weight ratio on ice it wont take much hp to get them moving there is less drag on ice then water you will need more hp when in the snow i think a min. of 20 hp with a redrive on a light boat would be fine 35 hp with redrive or more would be my choice with weight of gear and a budy going fishing i think more guys would build these small airboats when they start seeing them

It's all in the budget and what you want to do with the boat. Sometimes it's a better idea just to save up for what you want. I'm on a very tight budget so I built and updated as I could but lost money from upgrades as I went. In my opinion if you are sure about this hobby, I would spend the money an a good hull first. The hull is the main part of the deal. You can always upgrade the rest as you go.

Choosing the the right hull to start you can put a cheap motor and prop on it just to get you moving and on the water. You can upgrade to a bigger motor and prop as the budget allows. If you start out with the wrong hull, small motor you are going to be discouraged. I started off with a good older hull and have had four different motor setups on mine getting to where I am.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hi Mike,
    I'm up here in the U.P. by Marquette and I'm running an 084 with reduction drive. Fresh water is right about running on ice ... you don't need much HP if there isn't any snow on it, but if the temps get into the high 20's and there's any snow you'll need substantially more. I figure that my 084 puts out at least 40hp and the redrive helps to boost it a bit more and when I tried to run on wet snow it was lackluster at best. I also agree with Papee that it's better to examine your needs and not skimp on the important stuff. Once you're hooked, you're hooked
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

aerokirk how does your boat do in deeper snow like going over drifts? ya i am hooked

Fresh Water,

It goes pretty good in dry (cold) snow but you can't count on the conditions to be favorable every time you want to go out so I would be cautious about going out very far into the bay. As far as drifts, you're good if you have momentum when you hit them but a one foot high powder drift will stop you in your tracks if you try to inch over it.

Keep in mind that I have a 10'6" fiberglass hull which reacts differently than an aluminum hull ... that being said, it's fairly light at 205 lbs.
    Last edited by aerokirk; 02-24-2015 at 09:59 PM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

thanks i thought a 40 hp 4 stroke might be enough with a redrive maybe one the rx1 yamaha engines will be in my future than i just put my belt redrive on my 67 hp 2stroke i just built

Gentlemen thanks for all the info. I have another queston i need help with. Can i start building my cage with out having my prop? If i ordered a 42/16 prop does this mean that the prop will measure 21inches from center to tip on each side. Also how much clearence do you recommend. And how far from the rear transom should prop be.

The dimensions vary from builder to builder but I've found that many will plan for the prop to be 4" to 5" in front of (or as many put it "one beer can away") and either at or slightly below the top of the transom. As far as the cage goes, I've read that most leave at least three to four inches of clearance from cage to prop tip but you might want to allow more so you have the future option of going to a longer prop. JMO ..... You're correct on the prop measurement.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging