Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: southfork mini airboats

southfork mini airboats

greetings everyone, I'm Jason and I am starting the first of many mini airboats. I have been into boats my hole life and recently was bitten by the mini airboat bug and I am totally obsessed now. I just acquired a cuyuna 430rr ultra light engine and will be starting my hull soon which will be 6' x 10' full deck aka a deck over . I will be uploading pics soon. anyone running a cuyuna engine on your sled?

Re: southfork mini airboats

Welcome to the site. Looking forward to your build.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

thanks Papee, I am glad to find a site dedicated to mini airboats.

i ran one of them years ago in a rupp snowmobile they were fairly fast i raced articat and yamaha for years

Hello and welcome to the site...I've never seen one of those engines used for a mini before but hey that's the fun of it ... How many horsepower doe's one of those engines have ???

the snowmobile 430 had 40 hp but when they started using them for ultralights they detuned them to 30 hp by lowering the compression so it would not blow a head gasket in flight they are a good engine

it has 30 hp.

Hello and welcome to the site! I ran a Rockwell 2F-440-7 (predecessor to the Cuyuna) for many years. Originally 40hp, mine was detuned to 28hp so it wouldn't overspeed the prop. In order to get full horsepower out of that engine you should run a reduction drive (or maybe yours already has one attached). I didn't have too much trouble with mine but running direct drive was not a good idea as it had limited thrust but MUCH noise because of the prop tip speed.

Good luck on your build!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

looking for anyone who has any knowledge on a ulrr 430. my engine did not come with the switch but has a double wire plug for a switch plus another single wire plug. I don't want to fry something by just hot wiring.

were are the wires running to stater ignition system some pics might help do you have spark when you roll it over if not jump the 2 wires together and check for spark could be for kill switch

I did jump the double plug and I get intermitting fire good spark along with weak spark.

Does it get the same spark when not jumped

It did get spark without jumping it and it was a stronger but still intermitting and sometimes didn't spark for several pulls and then quit sparking.

thinking of getting a 032 or a 042 nos can get either for $500 or maybe less hopefully. my hull will be small and light so either of those should push it well.
    Last edited by springfishin; 03-14-2015 at 12:21 AM.

sounds like you might have a charging coil braking down this motor should have a magneto system if used on a ultralight they dont like points but if it has points i would look there a magneto usually works or it dont 500 would be a fair price on an 084 i would'nt mind buying one

the only place I have been able to find a 084 is from the Saturn co. and they want $1850 plus shipping and insurance. I don't even want to know what shipping & ins. probably would put final cost over $2'000. crazy! im looking for a 084 too..

I see two used 084s for sale on Ebay...Both attached to the generators...Those are coming in at 500 or best offer...If you're not in a hurry the new 084s cycle through Ebay every few weeks..

I did see those but one had 800hrs and probably the same on the other. really wanted a nos. I will probably wait for the deal. I am getting a 2a042 nos to experiment with for $400.
    Last edited by springfishin; 03-15-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by springfishin View Post
    I did see those but one had 800hrs and probably the same on the other. really wanted a nos. I will probably wait for the deal. I am getting a 2a042 nos to experiment with for $400.

i hate to see you spend that kind of money on a 042. I have this 032 sitting here that I had on my boat for a while. I got it also to experiment with while building my 084. I was planning on using it down the line on something but it will probably just sit there. The motor has been stripped and has about 20-30 hours on it. I'll let it go for $200 plus shipping.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

did you say you came down to ga a couple times a year? maybe you could bring it next trip? about the 042, they are rated at 10 hp military standard so more powerful than the 032 or is a torque factor?