Thread: Corky's Build

Re: Corky's Build

Well I did another scale model with both the floor radius and the side radius and it should match up nicely...One thing that's critical in this situation is both the floor narrowing radius and the sidewall rake {radius} obviously need to be the same lengthwise measurements for them to meet correctly in the front...So when I get to tha actual aluminum sheet mock-up I need to double check everything is coming together..

Papee I know you had breifly stated in another build that you prefer to start at the bow and work tward the transom to tack in the sheeting...Would this still be a good plan of attack seeing how I've already got the sheets to the full 14 ft length ??? What's the advantage to say starting at the transom and working front ??

I just found it much easier. If you start on the back you don't have as much leverage to pull on the front or short side of the arch. By starting at the front your "lever" is longer and easier to pull down. You're a mechanical wiz you may have another idea. I just started in the front and used a ratchet strap to pull down as I tacked.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

OK now I understand why you started in the front...I'm liking that idea also because you're guaranteed to start off correctly with the bow tip of the boat once you get past the radius you're home free....I might have ruined my chances of doing that because of welding the sidewall sheets together for the full 14 ft run...They're not the easiest to handle and I'm not sure just how high they'd be in the air at the beginning...My shop does have a 10 ft ceiling but even then I'm not sure if that's enough......I've got to admit this being my first build it's a bit nerve racking...I'm not sure of just how much angle the sides will have up there at the bow...

On a side note I went through a whole spool of wire in the gun just completing the pieces up to this point...And my argon bottle was empty also i just exchanged it today...I'm guessing I'll go through at least another two spools with everything that's still needed to be done...

Not really, with the size of your shop you could stand the bottom on edge say against a table then build the table height up to lay the side on. You'd have to stand on a bench to weld because you would be working at five feet but if you could set it up that way it'd be even easier with one person.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Corky,
    If you continue as originally planned, starting from the transom and working forward... As you reach the area where the bottom transitions into the rake roll, just use a set of pipe clamps. Position a strong cross piece over the top edge of the sides and a cross piece under the bottom sheeting, then tighten the pipe clamps to draw the bottom upward, stitch weld a few inches, both inside and outside... Move the cross pieces and clamps forward, repeating the process as you inch your way up to the nose cross pipe. That worked rather smoothly to pull my .190" 6061 T6. Just make sure your bottom cross piece is strong enough to not let the bottom sheeting belly down on the hull centerline.
    kent

Both great ideas guys...I'm seeing that there's no right or wrong way if the end result is satifactory...It's more an issue of doing it with what each builder has access to.....Being my first build I'm not sure just how much is needed to bend the sides down or the bow up and I might be worried about nothing I'm not sure....Tonight I pre-fitted the transom and have made some reference points for the sides...If I did this all the time I can see where some jigs would come in real handy but it's just not cost effective for a single build..

Anyhow I made another reference point where the floor sheeting will meet the 2 inch sch 40 pipe...I'm running out of excuses not to just get this done...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My problem was not having someone around at the time to help turn the boat so I did my build keeping the boat upright. If you have help available to move it whenever needed is a plus.

I'm in the same situation but that's going to change this weekend...I've got some help coming over and hopefully it's going to be together by the end of the weekend..I've got a gameplan now and with a little help it'll go much better than just me trying to deal with everything at one time... As usual I'll get pics along the way to show just what I did...

I have a big ratchet strap here if you want to borrow it. It is a big heavy one that will wrap the whole way around the boat and is strong enough to use a a winch if needed. That is what I used to pull down my sides. It has a heavy duty ratchet on it like you see on 18 wheeler loads.

Papee thanks for the offer I think I have some that are going to do the trick...I've got some pressure treated 4x4s and some straps that should work but if it does'nt I'll be in contact...I'm all set up for {what I hope is}an easy day...Starting with feeding everyone a good breakfast to start the day right...Can't work on an empty stomach...

OK guys here's the day I've been waiting for...I had my dad and a buddy of mine help today and we've had a very productive day and had alot of fun in the process...I took a very low tech approach to this...What I did was to make up some 2x2 spacers for the floor of the boat and set the side on...That's my dad there holding the side up and to be honest he was the most excited about me building this boat calling every week for a progress report so who says there has to be an age limit on some good father/son project time...

And to keep it simple we used more 2x2s for the top and some clamps to hold the sides to the required distances...Easy and quick we just needed to have a guy on each side as I went around and tacked the outer bottom seams in place....

Here's the transom in place...I decided to do the transom first to add some structure to the hull and it worked out nicely....

I ended up using two 4x4s to pull the bow floor up into place...One on top of the sides and the other under the bow bottom...The boards were long enough to simply ratchet strap between them on the outside of the hull and draw it down...Tacked and just slid the boards along as we went....The 1/8th inch sheeting pulled up more easily than I expected and the side angles pretty much fell into place....

OK here's the pics you've all been waiting for....How did I do ?????

Here's one from the back of the boat...My buddy Paul checking out our work....After this we worked on the structural channel getting it ready for install to finish the day out...Now I've got alot of welding to do...

Looks like your plan came together nicely ... great work! I'll bet it's quite gratifying to see it actually looking like a boat after all that prep work. Is your structural channel pre-formed or do you have to bend it yourself?
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

It is gratifying and a relief knowing the "hard" part is done on the hull...I was a little stressed being my first build but everything went so smooth...I've been over the measurements many times and it went together perfectly...It looks like my scale model exactly... The structural channel is the preformed U channel with the radiused inside corners...I'll post pic of what I've done with the channel it's a little different than other builds...

I think you'll be very happy with that boat. That is a nice bow arch for what you are using it for. Just keep an eye on where you start and stop your welds, that is where I had problems. I never thought I'd have a leak welding it on both sides but the water did find its way through.

Awesome thread Corky, your pictures are great and I am defiantly felling a little jealous on how clean and tidy your shop is. LOL Your hull looks fantastic and your engine is show and shine quality! Very professional. Your build is similar in size to mine and I will be following your build as it continues, thank-you for all the detail!

Just a little advice from a old time pipe welder . Never start and stop your welds inside and out in the same place. If you stagger them your chances of a leak are just about zero.
    Ron