67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Re: Corky's Build

Corky,
    So when is the "BIG SPLASH" scheduled ?
    I need to be a "witness" to the event !
    kent

Thanks guys !!! Now I need to get the trailer bow stop fabbed up so the hull has something to push against when I check the prop RPMs...I've got some premium fuel with some stabil 360 marine additive mixed in for the initial fire-up...I want to run it on the trailer,check all the operating systems, then retorque the prop hub and assorted areas around the boat... I'll be watching for any fitting leaks,etc...And probably let it run for a while...
    Kent, I'll be sure to give you a ring when it's ready...You can video a walk around and the maiden voyage for me and we'll post it for everyone to see...I'm getting excited to get out there but I want to make sure I have it as trouble free as it can get...
    Right now the drivetrain is level with the hull so we'll see how it goes...I'm sure I'll need some fine tuning It'll be interesting to see just what it will need to hit the sweet spot...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Well, today was the big day !!! The initial fire-up...yep and to say I was nervous was an understatement.......I double, triple {and quadruple} checked everything and still felt like I missed something...Finally I had to just jump up in the seat and give it a try...I pumped the fuel ball up and choked the engine and..........It fired right up !! ...Not even a full turn and it kicked off like it was run yesterday ..Not bad for being built and setting in a crate since 1990...I couldn't believe it no smoke,valve rattles, hose leaks, etc...Just a smooth running engine... I took Aerokirk's advice and kept the idler back off the belt and the redrive seems very smooth and quiet...Speaking of quiet the whole rig is actually quiet...There's less prop noise than my small 13hp direct drive mini !! That old wooden air cracker makes alot of noise for it's size compared to the whirlwind prop... I ran it for about 4 tenths of an hour on the meter in total today...But I did need a cold one to calm my nerves after I realized everything was good....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Hi Corky,
    Give it a few more heat cycles... (full cold starts to normal operating temperature) that will give you a good initial idea on any seepage and re-torque. Also, any heard "metallic rattle" will quickly disappear when you get off the trailer and into the water. Looking good ! Nothing like a turning prop to get the blood flowing !!
    kent

Kent, you're right....I ran it today some more and now I've got 1.2 hours on the meter...It's getting better as it breaks in...Easier to start, appears to be running a touch cooler as the time rolls on...Re-greased the Circle S redrive to make sure it had enough in the bearings.... I did have to re-sand the headers about 8 inches down the primaries and repaint as the zinc coating on the EMT tubing couldn't take the heat...But I figured as much...Now it should be good to go for a long time...I did find some seepage at the oil filter adapter hose connection and a quick turn of the hose end fixed that right up...Overall everything is great and I'm very happy...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

That's my biggest regret going to the turbo. I'll lose my stainless steel headers. Give me a shout when you splash, if I'm upright I'll be there.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Will do papee...There's not much water out there at the moment but it's supposed to rain tomorrow and the remnants of the storm Harvey are heading for us over the weekend so I'm sure we'll get some rise in the water...
    In the meantime I've got my innovative LM-1 wideband out of the box and I'm getting ready to see where a bone stock engine runs in regards to the air/fuel ratio...With my headers on the engine I'm expecting a somewhat lean reading through the RPM sweep so we'll see...

Papee, If you could...I need some pointers on your stock carb mods that's the next step after taking the readings...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

corky i'm waiting for your readings with another 4A084 to compare with mine. haven't found any yet.

Yes, it will be interesting to see where these engines run...We need some base readings from a stock engine...I'm hoping the headers won't throw off the range too bad but we'll all probably have a different exhaust to start with in our application anyhow...I should really make up a manometer and get the pipes in range too...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

After the rain today I had a chance to spend some time on the boat...Another interesting day...Here's what I discovered...
    Now, since I got cut short the last day I couldn't troubleshoot the problem completely...Trying to get it done that day I swapped between the 2 and 4 cylinders...but like a dummy that's still on the offending side and I only ran a minute or two before the rain hit...So today I pulled all the plugs,numbered them for the cylinder they came from then thoroughly cleaned them...
    Today, after the plug cleaning ceremony I moved the questionable plug to the number 1 cylinder{on the opposite bank}...Checked all the wires with an ohm meter and they all checked out..So I reconnected everything and fired it up getting preped for the compression test..........THERE WAS NO MISS !!!!...I have no idea what I did to remedy the problem..I ran the engine for quite a while then pulled the number 2 cylinder's plug and it was clean..As you can see from the previous pic there was definitely something going on there but now there's no trace of a problem {?}...I can't really take any credit for fixing something I still don't know what the problem actually was...But I'll take the outcome regardless!!!
    I'm more than happy with not needing to dig into the magneto at this time...That sure freed up some time there...
    So after running the engine through it's paces and getting it up to temp came the next step..Checking the air/fuel ratio through the RPM sweep...
    When I built my console I installed a power port and today it got some use powering the bosch oxygen sensor ...The LM-1 runs off a 9V battery but the O2 sensor needs a bigger power supply...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

So here's the A/F numbers on the "stock" engine...Bobby I know you've been waiting to see these..I ran both sides to see the biased numbers everyone assumed..And they were correct there's a slight difference from one side to the other...Here's the breakdown..

RPM Left Right

1000 11.7 11.2
    1500 13.2 13.2
    2000 14.6 13.6
    2500 14.2 12.6
    3000 13.2 13.1
    These numbers are after a brief run at the designated RPM with the stock carb not having an accelerator pump there's always a lean surge in the A/F mixture until the level off in RPMs...Not bad for an "out of the box" engine with no modifications...I'll throw in some pics of the right side manifold readings...Right display is the A/F ratio... The bottom,black bar will move left or right from center if lean or rich ..Sort of a quick glance feature to see where you're at without reading the numbers...Like I said, not bad for a starting point...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

So in conclusion ...The AFR numbers are acceptable but you can tell the original carb is made to run a constant RPM...It spikes lean with every throttle movement going up...And there's a rich spike coming down at each level off...More dramatic than you'd see with a standard carb with more than one circuit controlling the engine..So everyone did know what they're talking about and now there's solid proof to uphold what they already had known...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I can come down there any time after Tuesday. I'm feeling pretty good but the doc says I may have the cough for a few more weeks. I'd like to get out of the house, it's been a month or so since I've been out and about. I'll be glad when this whole house assessment thing is done.

Your plug problem may have just been a ring trying to find it's place.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee, I'm going to get you and Kent to come down we'll have a "get together" for the maiden voyage and make any adjustments if needed..You can make the video and Kent can snap the pics...There will be some good food involved too... Now all we need is more than 3.2 for a water level it's like an obstacle course out here now...But the fish are still biting that's good...
    I'm going to run the original carb this year and over the winter upgrade to a better carb...For anyone following this build I've posted the original carb's modifications in the 4a084 forum..So now it's a matter of picking a time that suits you two and the water cooperates...At least the quickslick bottom is black it'll match the rocks out there...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Corky,
    Whenever you choose to launch, just give a shout 24 hours ahead of time (so I can make sure the camera's batteries are charged) and I will be there.
    kent

Sent you a PM. We'll have full coverage, video, photos, on the ground, in the air and onboard. I have a carrying case full of camera gear.

So ... I found this thread a few days ago, and have read everything, living vicariously as I love to fabricate stuff. But we've been left high and dry!

Did the boat ever hit the water?