Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Corky's Build

Re: Corky's Build

I wanted to show this if anyone was wondering how I follow a design with simply measuring different points then transfering those points to a new piece ending up with an exact match... In the case of the rudders they are 20x39 inches..I scaled them using a ruler where each inch was 10 inches...All I need to do is make up a scale rule to reflect the increments in inches...Then use the pic I've made and enlarge the rudder to match the size needed for mapping...Here's the print for the rudders...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Corky; 05-11-2016 at 10:37 PM.

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I headed in a different direction for a few days while the rudder's white coat is curing{I need to make sure it's completely cured before adding any tape or film}..So I lowered the work tables down and started the final assembly !!! The engine stand now has all grade 8 hardware where it fastens to the hull as well as grade 8 hardware for the engine mounts...I've painted all the hardware to keep the rust away...Thankfully the rest is stainless steel and wont need much attention...I've installed the starter,engine oil cooler,battery box,bellcrank transom mounts, and the bow light on my custom access door...The engine is installed level with the hull... There's aproximately 1/2 inch of spacers are under the front mount so there's plenty of adjustment if needed......Man, does it feel good to throw some parts on the hull !!!
    Last edited by Corky; 05-15-2016 at 07:29 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Oh Yeah !!! Lookin' Good...

Corky,
    Here's one modification I would recommend you do to your redrive. This is based on the fact that my adjustment nut came loose last year and went through my prop. I drilled a 3/32" hole through the end of my adjustment bolt and safety wired it to the cross member, that way if it ever vibrates loose the nut and bolt can't go anywhere...just a suggestion
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

I've been painting various linkages and hardware the past few days..Most won't be seen until the components get bolted to the boat...But I do have an update on the deck...I've spent some time fabbing up some non skid stars then applied them to the deck and floor...These are'nt the cheap grit type...These are made from 3M Safety Walk vinyl...It's a textured vinyl made specifically for wet conditions such as showers and pools etc...I was'nt sure just how slippery the painted surfaces will be when wet...The addition of these non-skid stars make for some sure footed movements out on the water and the stars complete the hull's theme nicely...There's no stars in the center of the deck where the pedistal seat base will get installed...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

not much has gotten past you on this build, about most every thing you have posted, I am thinking, man I wish I had the insight, to come up with some of these ideas.

Thanks Bart...Mabe it's just a case of me taking too long to build this thing and having too much time to think between all the parts going on the build........

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Corky, I sure do like what I'm seeing !!! kent

My seat upholstery came this week.....I'm very pleased with the work from Lynn's stitch shop...The white material is textured like a comfort weave/carbon fiber pattern...I fitted the upholstery on the shells just to see how it looked...I also had matching armrest cushions made up for the front seat...Here's a quick peek at the upholstery colors I'll post more pics after they're fitted to the shells...Check out the tags !!! Linda said she had to put the tags on because they matched the theme of the build...A nice touch !!...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Quote Originally Posted by kent View Post
    Corky, I sure do like what I'm seeing !!! kent
    Thanks Kent... I sure would like to go for a ride in your boat this year so keep me in mind if you're heading out on an adventure...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    I sure would like to go for a ride in your boat this year...
    Corky, Your ticket has been issued... You can pick it up at the service counter.... ID not required !!! <<<LOL>>

I think that I have 25 gallons of 100LL here at the house.... That's enough to get started.... May need to make a trip to the airport for another 50....
    kent

Thanks Kent I'm looking forward to the trip...I have no problem kicking in some fuel money for our trip we'll talk about that when the time comes...

The painting was on hold again this weekend due to the weather but I did get some more parts on the boat...The fuel tank framing got painted as well as the straps...The tank then was installed in it's final resting place...All hardware is stainless steel with nylon locking nuts...I installed the cage it went together nicely...I'll throw up a pic of my weather seals where the cage tubing goes into the engine stand..They're white furniture leg stops !! I bought them at the local hardware store and used a piece of 1/2 inch EMT as a hole punch so it's a perfect fit around the cage EMT...Simple but effective on keeping the water out...It should also keep any rattles to a minimum...Did I mention I hate rattles ???

The cage bolted in without any issues and seems very sturdy now with everything torqued down...
    Next up was the mufflers...Final assembly involved adding the heat shields to them... Again, stainless hardware using locking splitwashers on the inside as well as using copper antisieze to keep them lubed up for easy disassembly later if needed...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Next step was getting the exhaust wrapped up....I want to check the carb tune using my air/fuel wideband O2 data logger so I added the O2 bungs to the header collector area on each side...This set-up has a copper sealing washer as well as the plug...I can remove the plug as much as needed and it will still seal back up with this type of washer..I've added copper antisieze to the threads to keep the soot and corrosion away...Headers then got a coat of high temp flat black to wrap up the exhaust system...And back on the boat for the final assembly...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

So some components go quick and some need detailed...List of components installed:

Fuel access door,fuel line including plastic inline filter and fuel injection clamps, deck with red windlas for edging,step treads,throttle cable and linkage, choke cable and linkage,air cleaner assembly...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Operators seat is now installed and the upholstery is fitted to the seat shell...The seat tracks were sandblasted then coated with Seymours stainless steel paint...This paint is made with real stainless steel ingredients making for a rustproof coating...I've used this paint on various projects and it takes being exposed to the elements very well...I've added some extra foam to bolster the sides and the seat is very comfortable not to mention it looks even better...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Control stick and it's linkage is now finished...Sprayed in a metallic silver and has a little sparkle to it...The cage and engine stand is sprayed with a fine metallic silver and it's different than the control stick and rudder linkage....As usual I went overboard and hand painted some stripes at each end of all the linkages...And as luck would have it I came across a grip that I though would add a nice touch to the build...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Next phase of the build is going to be the electrical system...Consisting of the gauge console,wiring harness and fuse panel,charging system,and a bunch more assorted wiring and accessories...I'm going to break this down as I go showing the details...I've still {after all this time} have parts coming weekly the nice thing is they can go right on the boat now without being stockpiled until needed...

First up is the bilge pump and float...I have to admit I had no idea how big or how small the pump needed to be...After searching through this site comparing pics I settled on a 1000 GPH Rule bilge pump and a Rule inclosed float...If this does'nt do it I guess I'll be going down with the ship...
    Last edited by Corky; 10-08-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Unless you don't get trash or weeds in the boat, I would put some screen around the suction of the pump to keep the impeller clear.
    They do sell larger screen openings etc.
    Just a thought,

That's a good idea...I get leaves and twigs around my other mini's float switch so that's why I bought the inclosed float switch for this one...I did'nt give the pump itself much thought about that..I'll look for some stainless screen..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I wanted to relay some info on each sending unit... I've found that there is'nt much info for the 084 and it's requirements on what's needed {or any engine for that matter... First up is the oil pressure sending unit...
    I'm using a Sierra 18-5899...It's a single station , american resistance, standard ground..
    To break that down some sending units have a dual station {more than one gauge to monitor the engine, say for a flybridge} and just for the record those sending units typically have half the resistance of a single station unit...
    In the case of this oil pressure sending unit it's for a faria 0-80psi{five bar} oil pressure gauge made for the USA{there are also different psi sending units to match whatever gauge you're using 100psi etc...}...That translates into the american resistance values {0psi=240ohms,80psi=33.5ohms} needed for the gauge...There's also a european gauge/sender {resistance values are different} for any overseas gauges..The gauge manufacturer will spec out the gauge requirements usually through the part number...
    Standard ground is the most common where the engine block is is neg{-} grounded directly to the battery neg{-} so the sending unit grounds through the engine..In a floating ground sending unit the engine block is not connected to the battery and merely spinning the sending unit into the engine block won't ground the unit...A floating ground sending unit will have two terminals, one for ground and one for the signal...A floating ground unit can be used for a standard ground application but not vice-versa...

And important note, this sending unit grounds through the case so no sealer is recommended on the threads for either the unit or the adapter for proper operation...The NPT threads do the sealing duties...

Now you have a quick guide to the oil pressure sending units... The Sierra 18-5899 needs an adapter to step up the NPT threads to the next size for the 084 oil pressure port..I bought the gauge from Amazon for $17.99 free shipping..The eqivalent faria sending units were at least twice that price for the record...
    Last edited by Corky; 06-25-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine