Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Corky's Build

Re: Corky's Build

Papee that's right you did move the console I remember now...You've definitely transformed your boat in stages and it's nice to see what works and what does'nt...I still look at all the threads and pics sometimes I get confused on what's currently being run on different builds...

I had my original 24V choke solenoid out and was going to run a few tests on if it had enough electromagnetic power at 12V to do the job but never got that far... Going from memory, the pull-off cable might seem short for an EMPI that's up top and centered on the engine depending on where it can be mounted...But that's the fun of it for me at least..Engineering, design and hopefully a little style to the mods..

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Corky ... Don't waste your time on the 24V coil ... It doesn't have enough pull. I tried to use it on the ATV snowblower that I made and it couldn't even move the choke without a return spring so I purchased another actuator on EBay. If you have a marine parts place near you it should be easy to acquire a 12V outboard solenoid.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

OK,thanks that saves me some time...I'll stick with the manual cable...There has to be a manual carb conversion kit that could be used on the EMPI when the time comes...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

And so ends another phase of the build..All the major components are done....From here out the project gets more fun...I like the paint prep part of the build... I get to design the paint layout...

We had a great weekend here with temps hitting the 60s on Saturday!! So I took the opportunity to reorganize the shop...First order of business was disassembly of the whole rig...I'm amazed at just how light all the rigging is and the ease of how it all comes apart...It should be very easy for maintenence in the years to come..Next step was flipping the hull over and setting it back on the build table that I'd disassembled and broke it down into two sections a while back...

I need to apply the bottom coating...I'm going with Quick Slick bottom coating...It's getting great reviews and appears to be outlasting the competition for the lifespan of the product..Here's a pic of the bottom before any prep work is done...Note how the bottom has a nice radius starting about a foot before the step...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Any areas that are getting the Quick Slick need to be sanded for the epoxy to adhere to the aluminum...It's reccomended to use 36 grit...Which sounds like overkill...But in fact after the bottom is completely sanded does'nt seem to be as bad as I imagined..
    I guess I'm used to automotive body work where 36 grit sand scratches need to be completely removed before the high build primer gets sprayed or the scratches will haunt you without multiple coats{even 80 grit is pushing it}...
    Anyhow,here's what the areas look like after some work with a long board and a dual action sander..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I taped off the hull so I would'nt get any epoxy on the sides or other areas that were'nt getting this coating...I taped from the bottom wall seam at the bow to 3 inches up back at the transom.. The whole area gets one last wipe down with acetone..

Now I'm ready to apply the coating...
    Last edited by Corky; 02-27-2016 at 11:22 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I could have gone two routes applying the Quick Slick...Sprayed or rolled...Spraying requires a "hopper gun" that has a bigger reservoir and tip orfices because the epoxy is so thick...I was'nt sure just how well the epoxy would have sprayed from my gun or how the gun clean-up would go...With this in mind I took the easy way out and rolled it on....

It actually went better than I expected...I used the shortest napped roller I could find and it went on quite well...I ended up with three really thick coats...The silicon epoxy flows out kind of strange with highs and lows like a golf ball as others have stated...This is the texture you want from what I've read.... Here's what the bottom looks like imediately after stripping off the masking paper... With the Quck Slick applied I can now move on to the standard DTM{direct to metal} epoxy coating that will cover the entire hull and act as the bond between the aluminum and color coat...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Wow, that looks so familiar .... Seems like only yesterday that I Quickslicked mine! I know what you mean about questioning the super large grit sanding. You should have seen the deep scratches on my fiberglass hull after sanding but after spraying the Quickslick it looked perfect.

That's going to be a beautiful hull with paint!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Thanks guys...I added more activator to the epoxy because the temps were hovering around 50*F outside and I knew it would get cooler from there...I had the shop heated to 70* before the process so once the exhaust fan was turned on the cooler air would drop the temp quick...The epoxy started to set up during the last coat so I kicked it into high gear to get it all applied...Within 24hrs it was rock hard...I'm leaving the boat flipped until the DTM epoxy is sprayed then back over it goes for the last time..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Well.....I don't want to get accused of continuing my secret build !!! ...So I'll give everyone a sneek peek at where the hull design is going...This is a pic of my actual hull with the paint scheme that won out over quite a few designs...It looks like I'll be adding some color to the water around here...If I'm going I might as well go in style... I'm still designing the rudder art and seat upholstery so I'll keep everyone in the loop when the final design is done on them.. So let's here the opinions !! !
    Last edited by Corky; 02-29-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Hi Corky,
    That is about as COOL as COOL can get !!!! (Glad I'm not the one having to do the mask & tape !!! <<<LOL>>)
    kent

Thanks Kent, yes you'll get to see my masking and painting skills on that design but in reality it's only around 18 inches wide by 14ft so it's really not going to be too tough...The varied shading on the colors is the toughest part much like air brushing only a larger scale..I've got a striping automotive HVLP gun that should throw the pattern needed to get it done...

My biggest concern is NOT using high quality automotive grade paint...I'm leaning twards an enamel paint instead of a basecoat/clearcoat...I want to be able to do any quick touch-ups needed without going through a big ordeal... You can't do that with a BC/CC paint system...And I don't know if anyone has priced automotive paint lately but it's skyrocketed the past few years to the point where "affordable" and keeping the costs down to the realm of a budget build is'nt easy to do...

So the short version of this is I want to use a paint that anyone can buy even on a strict budget and still have great results instead of shelling out 2000.00 on paint and materials..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Really nice Cork but I could never have anything like that. My boat gets beat up pretty bad fishing. A lot of times I will float downstream into the front of rocks to hold me while fishing a hole.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Yeah, I know what you're saying about the drifting...I want it to look nice but I'm certainly not going to worry about a few scratches/dents here and there I'm actually expecting it...And so the reason for having the ability for an easy touch-up...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Well.....I don't want to get accused of continuing my secret build !!! ...So I'll give everyone a sneek peek at where the hull design is going...This is a pic of my actual hull with the paint scheme that won out over quite a few designs...It looks like I'll be adding some color to the water around here...If I'm going I might as well go in style... I'm still designing the rudder art and seat upholstery so I'll keep everyone in the loop when the final design is done on them.. So let's here the opinions !! !

“SWEET”; you are going to turn some heads. Great Job!

Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

Nice pattern! But ... What do you have in mind for your rudder art? Future surprise?
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

The rudder art is still in the designing phase... The stars and stripe theme dictates the rudders should match so it will....I've asked Papee in advance if I could incorporate the "Mini Airboat Association " name in my design and he has given me the green light...
    I appreciate all that Papee and the site's wonderful members have injected into each build with insight,experience,support and constructive criticism... Without this site my build would'nt be what it is and I want to get the association advertising out there and on the water in this area...

Keeping up with this boat's paint theme I'm using I redesigned a logo that will fit this boat...My thinking on this is if each build would use the " Mini Airboat Association" script to fit their own build colors/designs that would still get the word out there and add a little flair to a gathering of members...Sort of like the different NASCAR members and their cars...If anyone thinks this is inappropriate don't hesitate to speak your opinion...If need be I'll take the rudder art in a different direction...
    Anyhow here's a rendering of the hull and rudder art as my latest,ever evolving design...And a close-up of the adapted logo for the theme...Again, let's hear the opinions !!!
    Last edited by Corky; 03-04-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I like it!!!! Can't wait to see it come to life on your actual boat!

It looks like the airbrush and I will become one until this is done no matter which route I choose.......

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Looks good! We really don't have a mini airboat logo so maybe we could use a more simple version of that. It wouldn't transfer to sticker well like that but awesome for your rudders. IF you need any airbrush stuff let me know, I have a good gun and compressor here.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA