Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Corky's Build

Re: Corky's Build

Hi Corky,
    I like the design of the console housing. Thin and trim, fits you layout well.

For long term on the ABS, you may want to check into the Krylon Fusion for Plastic rattle can spray. That ABS, while UV inhibited, will gray and brittle with age. The fusion has many color choices to match or contrast the final design.
    kent

Hi Kent !! Thanks for the words of encouragement.. You know, that console is super light and strong.. I'll have to weigh it but I bet it's only a pound or two bare... Yes I do want to change the color to match the theme of the boat when the time comes...I've used the Krylon Fusion before also and it definitely holds up well...That was a badly needed paint that filled a hole in the general projects category...Here's two diagrams of the console...Dimensions and a console that's available with the gauges installed to show the size a little better...I have some nice, matched gauges for this build they should look great....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

That photo with the gauges does well in illustrating the overall size. Your gauge count will have room to spare, unless you change your mind and max out the way I did.... <<LOL>>
    kent
    Last edited by kent; 10-14-2015 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo...

I have a general question for anyone that wants to voice their opinion on this....Should I use a locking choke cable ??? Is there any advantage to having the ability to lock the cable regardless of the carb being used for a build ???

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Can't think of why you would need one. Stock carb has a return spring to keep it in the "off" position and Solex would most likely be an electric choke (however they can be had with a manual choke so not sure on those)

I found that I only needed choke for a few seconds with the stock carb so no need to run partial choke for very long. My 084 does not like much choke regardless of the weather... JMO
    Last edited by aerokirk; 10-24-2015 at 10:00 PM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Thanks Ted...I have'nt run an 084 yet and did'nt know about the required application or useage for the choke...And did'nt think about the electric choke on the solex conversion...Now would be the time to add provisions for a choke cable {in the instrument panel} if I was installing one although I did'nt really want to drill a hole in the panel for the choke cable ... With this in mind if I do add a non-locking cable it should not be a permenent install and will be something that can be completely removed when not needed...

I guess the real reason I brought this up was the fact that my choke cables{ spiral wound metal casings} of days gone by have all gotten hard to push/pull after being out in the weather for any length of time requiring some light oiling and eventually replacement... The better grade locking units with the solid casing I thought would hold up better in the long run...

The short factory style choke cable appeals to me but I did'nt want to keep spinning around in my seat to apply the choke directly behind me if{like my small engine} it needed to be on for that first second or two of cranking...That would leave a longer cable being installed somewhere to make it easier for the operator...

Here's something else I thought about...Has anyone tried using the original choke solenoid as the actuator ??? Yes I know it's 24 volts but I wonder if it would still work with 12v being applied...It does'nt seem like it would take much to spin the choke blades in the carb....Something like that might eliminate the need for the manual cable...Just throwing some ideas around...
    Last edited by Corky; 10-24-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

The stock carb doesn't need much choke either. I think you'd be ahead by just using the manual stock choke. When I was using the stock choke I would (pull starting) leave the ignition off and pull over once with full choke. Then I would turn the choke half way, turn on the ignition and it started most every time. I would idle away from the ramp while warming the motor and push the choke off before taking off. Hope this gives you an idea how much choke is needed with the stock carb.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

OK and thanks guys for giving me a good idea of what's to come...I'm all for using the stock manual choke that's less fab time and I guess it won't be that much of a pain spinning in my seat if it only needs to be used quickly.....

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I've been working on a few things at one time...And packages are arriving daily....... I've got the diamond plated aluminum decking cut and fitted...I had to radius the front corners and cut the fuel door in...It looks like everything is going to workout as I'd hoped...I'm still up in the air about continuing the decking under the seat for storage or mabe just add some 1/8th in wire as the floor so the air can get through that area while still containing the cargo...This is what a 2ft X 4ft sheet gets me..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Time to install the gauges in the instrument panel... The gauges are Faria's Chronos style...Very stylish, bright and easy to read....They're laid out in order of importance on the panel...Top is tach...The two gauges below that are cylinder head temp and oil temp...Next is oil pressure,then volts and finally an hour meter... Horn button is centered in the console for easy reach{in case a fish gets in the way i guess}...Going down the left side is ignition switch{Sierra MP39730 magneto switch with rubber weather cap}and assorted toggles...{cockpit lights,nav lights,bilge and two accys}...The toggle label rings are aluminum and have an adhesive backer...The script is bright and tough to photograph {actually the whole darn panel was for some reason} but I think I got some good ones to post...
    Last edited by Corky; 11-11-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I'm jumping around a bit but I wanted to post the progress made with the gas pedal...I've got a quick disconnect on each end of the throttle cable so maintenence should be easy...The billet pedal itself is fastened to the diamond plate deck and will come off with the deck when its removed...The return spring has wrapped, rounded eyes so they can spin as the pedal is worked..The spring's pedal attachment has a nylon spacer and a locating groove so the spring eye spins without binding as the petal is moved...The other end has a rounded,grooved brass thumb screw so that spring eye has the ability to spin also...
    Now, with the gas pedal in working order, the engine's throttle linkage return spring does in fact pull the whole assembly back to idle on it's own but I wanted to have that second spring on the pedal as a back-up for safety and ease of operation....It operates smoothly with no binding and has a nice range of motion...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

You are making some mighty fine progress here Corky. Lots of great ideas and good info for sure.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Hi Guys, I just wanted to let everyone know...I've taken a little time off from the build the past few weeks...My father passed away unexpectedly...He was very excited about this boat and I'm saddened that he won't get the chance to take it out...Now I need to get in the right frame of mind and keep this build going...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

So terribly sorry to hear of your fathers passing! My condolences to you and your family. I'm sure he was very proud of your workmanship on the boat and was looking forward to seeing it run. Carry on with the build in his memory.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

So sorry for the loss of your dad. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours. And yes definatly finish this great build in remembrance of his passing.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Wow Corky sorry to hear this! You know where I am if you need anything. You need to finish that boat, people around here need to see that piece of art!
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Sorry for your loss.
    Ron

Thanks guys the kind words are very much appreciated...I'm going to continue the build starting this week...I want to have the boat {and trailer} completed by spring so I can get out there and spend some time on the water...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I'm so sorry for your loss Corky. My thoughts and prayers are to you and your family. I find keeping my hands busy always calms my mind, when you're going through hell, keep going.

Thank you all again...Yes I feel better when I'm working on something also...I'm getting back in the groove now and am ready to make some headway...

First order of things is the storage compartment under the seat...After talking with Aerokirk a few weeks ago on my progress I've decided to keep the weight down as much as possible in this area and NOT continue the diamond plating under the operator's seat...It's so easy to get carried away with over-building instead of just what's really needed to get the job done... With this in mind I've added some steel wire to encase the compartment on the sides and rear...The front gets a bar installed to keep the cargo from sliding front...And that's it !! Nothing fancy, no real air obstruction and no significant weight added...

Because I've permanently installed my fuel tank I'm required to have an onboard fire extinguisher...To be honest I'd have added one regardless of the tank just to be safe...I wanted it to be within reach for a quick grab if needed...Let's hope I never need it...Anyway the fire extinguisher adds another 3lbs to the build...Here's the pics...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine