Thread: Had another last day

Had another last day

We've had some nice weather lately so I loaded up and headed for the river again today. I hadn't noticed until I stopped for the first time but the wind was blowing pretty hard upstream which was the direction I was heading. This was more of a ride than a fishing trip and logged in a fair amount of miles.

I I put in at our club ramp at Millersburg an seen that a good number of the guys had the same idea. Some of the club members boats were missing and the ramp was parked almost full in the club members area. I would guess I ran about 15 miles upstream before I stopped to do a little fishing. I did catch one pretty nice walleye(27") and 15-20 small mouthed bass.

I hadn't been paying attention to the time and the first time I looked I had only been out for about 45 minutes, I must have been hauling butt up there. I wasn't really running hard at about 2500 rpm but with the little tail wind I was probably going about 25-27mph. I also saw two eagles take off from the trees overlooking the river, they must have been fishing too.

The wind was blowing pretty steady at this point and even though the river was flowing at a prett good rate kept me from float fishing. The wind would either just keep me in one spot or blow me upstream. I decided to go between some islands to get out of the wind and do a little fishing before heading back.

When i started back the wind was at my face and made for a long ride home. My boat does fine in the wind but I do have to run it harder than normal. I did some fast runs and some low speed trolling speeds just taking in the changing shorelines looking at the cabins along the way. I saw a fair amount of remodels going on at a lot of the cabins, it's nice to see people resurrecting some of these old cabins.

No photos, just a long winded post about my day. I think I'll hold off on winterizing a while more just in case I can sneak out again. We really can't run much here after it gets too cold. The ice along with the river current just makes it too dangerous to be out there.

Dang i just looked back, I really did rattle on without saying much.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Re: Had another last day

What prop are you running now papee?
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

I got some epoxy and repaired the stick prop. I made all the repairs and just took off a little of the excess glue then put it on to check for vibration. It was balanced so well as it is so I'm just running it. It doesn't look finished but it is so well balanced I didn't want to mess with it. The prop will last until I make the reduction drive and go to another prop.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Cool glad you got it working for ya. Im getting round stick to make pulleys for the drive im making too.

Quick question if the river freezes over up there could you run the river of ice or too dangerous??? Ive always wondered what that would be like.

If the river freezes solid it would be fun to try it but I haven't seen the river frozen thick for many years. It was nothing to see a chunk of ice that broke up as big or bigger than a full size truck. It's just way too dangerous to be out there with the flow rate of the river. If you went trough the current would pull you under the Ice and you would be an instant peoplecicle.

Yeah it would be fun but definitely not if its with those kind of risks

Because of the current the river does'nt freeze over like a pond that you can ice skate on...It starts with chunks forming/breaking off and floating downstream until they get damed up then they pile up and fuse together...Very jagged and uneven for the most part...When it does freeze over {and were lucky} in the spring it breaks up downstream first then slowly breaks off as the current takes the ice away much like a glacier...And when we're not lucky it jams up and makes the river rise and create a big mess... Here's a pic off my back deck when the river was frozen and it snowed...{From the big tree out to the island and beyond is all river}Now something like this you might be able to run...But on that note...Someone was cross-country skiing out there and they called the fire dept and they made him come in off the river...Name:  backyard2.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  67.6 KB

Now that gives me a reference for my spy mission, I was down by there but couldn't figure out where you are.

That is a beautiful picture corky. Yeah the rough jagged ice would definitely tear a hull up bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    Now that gives me a reference for my spy mission, I was down by there but couldn't figure out where you are.
    Hey Papee, get on google maps satellite view...Look at duncannon and go a little south down the river on our side...The inground pool and the house jump out at you while zooming in...There's also a Checkmate speedboat in the yard...That's my house...

I figured that is about where you are going with the mountain in the background. Looks like you are about straight across from McGuires Ford.

edit: after looking at the map I was way off, looks like the tea house south of The bus place is more like it.

I've been having problems with the push rod tubes leaking oil on the head that I replaced. I put new orings on it but still always leaked and getting worse. I'm going to take it apart and put some new orings in and try again. I'm going to boil the the orings before I put them on the use some permetex on them. The tubes are held in place by a spring over the rocker bolt. Any way, I'm going to replace it and take it out again before I put it away to see if I have the leak stopped. After every trip I have to wipe of the rudder on the one side. Any little leak looks enormous because of the prop blowing it all over.

Do all the usual steps...First determine where it's actually leaking around the tubes{I'm sure you've already done that}...When you pull them out see if they did'nt seat properly and lastely look at the head mating surface for any defects....That being said a little permatex goes a long way not only to lube/seat the rings but sealing as well...