Thread: Duck Hunting from an Airboat

Duck Hunting from an Airboat

Today was the first day to use my newly built airboat for duck hunting. I packed in two dozen decoys arranged in two main line strings along both side aisles and took along my "Lucky Duck" motorized remote controlled decoy to my favorite wildlife flooding.

Arriving at the flooding in total darkness I launched the boat and proceeded to thread my way through the vegetation, logs and stumps, frequently climbing over the floating logs and getting back where no one else is able to go. I think back on how I wanted a duck boat with a mud motor a few years ago and how glad I am that I waited to build an airboat instead.

Airboats are a rarity here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and wherever I park, there is a hunter or two looking over the boat in amazement. Sitting high up in the drivers seat with a grass mat draped around affords me a panoramic view of the marsh which I have never had before back when I had to huddled down in my aluminum jon boat. By the time I called it quits for the day I had had numerous occasions to blast away at passing ducks and geese, but alas, it's been several years since I practiced on skeet so all but one mallard escaped me this morning. Never the less, a boat full of spent shells is my idea of what a perfect day should be.

I can hardly wait for my next hunting excursion with my terrific, versatile fan boat!
    Slide on!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Re: Duck Hunting from an Airboat

It is nice sitting there knowing all the work you put into getting there. Even though there are a hundred or so airboats around here I'm often stopped at the ramp by people wondering what I am running. I'm always asked why my boat is not as loud as other boats. One guy mentioned that his jet boat was louder than my boat. I'm always stopped at our club ramp by someone wondering what's going on because they don't recognise the engine. Even get questions at the gas pumps.

Have fun fun and I hope your aim improves. Lol
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

My new addition to the airboat to keep my shotgun from being trampled on. The duck hunting is going well but it's now cold enough up here that I need to wear an insulated suit, hat and googles in order to keep from freezing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Have fun, it now in the sixties here and the best time of the year for bass fishing. We have a bunch of rain coming through but I hope to get out for some river time between raindrops. I've just been so busy I haven't had time to get out. If it gets too cold the metal in my knees gets cold and doesn't feel so well.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA