Thread: Todays events( starter and carb mods)

Todays events( starter and carb mods)

No photos today. I worked on an intake today getting it ready to ship then made a "jig" for the carb so I can use it to clearance the intake deck to clear the linkage on the Empi carb.

I had to run to Tractor Supply because I was at the end of my spool or aluminum wire so I picked up all the materials to get the mounts made for the new starter setup on the green boat. This boat has been named "The Frog" by my uncle because of the color and his wife being of Canadian decent.

I got the cage pulled off the boat, the pulley removed, and the intake off tho modify. I'll be doing the intake first since I have the welder set up for aluminum right now. I'll post a few progress photos as soon as I get to the starter project, tomorrow will be intake day.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Re: Todays events( starter and carb mods)

Ok I'm using the Chevy flywheel and the Subaru starter on this one. The starter is a nine tooth but the starter gear does not mesh with the Chevy flywheel. I started to use a dremmel to reshape the teeth on the starter gear, it was working out but taking way to long so I just went up and ordered a Chevy gear to put on the Subaru starter. It looks like it may fit but if it don't I'm just going to put a couple welds on it to hold it on.

I did get the intake finished for this boat and got the flywheel mounted on the pulley. I lucked out on this one, I laid it on there by eye and it was close right off the bat. I centered it up then clamped it while I drilled the holes. The starter gear will be in this afternoon so I'll take a break on this until tomorrow.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Well I went back out because I had some other work to get done. When I built this boat I used a four bolt engine mount configuration because the motor didn't come with the front V bracket. Now it is/was in the way of mounting the starter so I had to cut the pulley end of the mounts off. The good thing is that I was able to put a ratchet strap on it to hold it in place using the hoop that the cage bolts to.

Im just going to go ahead and mount the starter first then make my mount to clear the starter brackets.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Today I went and picked up the starter drive I ordered. I had to get the whole starter drive or bendix for about $17. I took the drive apart as far as I could then trimmed a bit off the length. The gear fit on perfectly but didn't have teeth to keep it from spinning on the starter shaft. I remedied this but welding the gear on through the end. Everything with that mod went well and really didn't take long. I am happy with it.

I did some measuring for the new engine mounts and it was pretty simple so I just went ahead and made the mount. I can use the mount for part of the starter mounting if needed. Tomorrow I'll start on getting the starter mounted.

things to do:
    mount starter
    wire starter install new ignition key sswitch
    finish engine mounts and front adjuster for engine tilt.
    Install new intake and carb
    Test ride.

I'm aiming to complete this project on Sunday depending how long I get tied up getting new tires on my Jeep.

Nice..Looks like the subaru starter is a variation of a nippondenso style starter...Nice torque and very dependable...And now for the question part of the post.....So the shafts are close enough to just pull the gears and tack the chevy piece in place ?? Any special tools needed {press or gear puller}?? I see you have a rectifier there in your parts collection...Is that being added also ??? Looks like a simple 3 prong version ??

No press needed, they both just use the clips. I just used a 4 1/2 cutting disk on my angle grinder to cut down the gear. Guess I should have taken more photos but you are close enough that you can bring it up here if you have questions. I had to drill out the brass sleeve on the new one to make it fit the starter shaft then just welded in the end.

The rectifier was already on, I had to take it off to relocate it. This does bring the price close to the Mercruiser starter I have on mine but it is saving 15 or so pounds over that setup.

It rained most of the day so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. I did get the front engine mount finished and got the starter mounted in place. I still need to get one brace on the back of it somewhere to keep it from moving. This starter is more finicky as far as position because it has no nose support on it. For this reason I don't think this is going to be a good starter choice for these motors. So far I'm liking the Mercruiser starter even though it is a bit heavier. The cost comes out about the same after the drive gear swap.

Almost got it done. My legs give out way before I'm ready to quit. All I have left to do is hook up the throttle cable and tie some wires up that I had to move to weld and its ready to go. I don't think areokirks throttle mount will work with the flywheel up front the cable has to come in different. I'll look into that tomorrow.

Had the boat out today and everything went well. It was a little windy but still did a good job. This boat is a little under proped, it has the same size and pitch as mine but is a narrower chord.

The run sounded flawless! Have you decided what prop you are going to change to?
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

I'm not going to mess with the props on either boat right now. We'll use what we have for now because our boating will end in about another month or so. I'll be building the chain driven redrives over the winter and we'll get new props then.

I'm having a hard time coming up with the prop we will need so we may just go with an adjustable prop. I would rather stick with a two blade wood prop if possible though. I think they are a bit more quiet than the three blade composites I've used in the past. I would go with another Ultra Prop but the blades are just too narrow to be efficient at cruise speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by krwsr View Post
    The run sounded flawless! Have you decided what prop you are going to change to?

I'm not sure what direction you are going with your build. If you are going direct drive I would go with the prop I have on the red boat. It is an Arrow Prop 52x24 but has the wide chord. I think its 4-4 1/2" I'll have to measure it. If you decide on this prop let me know and I'll call Don and make sure you get the right prop when ordering. The red boat and the green boat are both running 52x24 props but the green boat has a narrower prop/chord.