Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Plumbing an oil cooler onto the 4A084

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Re: Plumbing an oil cooler onto the 4A084

Quote Originally Posted by chuckitt
    Duane, you know the correct place to put the temp sender, i told you.
    Chuck
    Yeah, that's sorta' kinda' what I meant.

I guess what I really meant to say was that where you measure the oil temp will effect the results. If we don't measure at the same place, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare temps.

I suspect that the temp in the bottom of the oil pan may be a little cooler than the temp coming out of the oil line from the engine. But I do not know that for a fact. That's why it'd be interesting to hear what Buster reads with his infrared thermometer at different places.

Thanks,

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

MAA Vendor

Hey Guys, I think Duane and buster should do some testing to benefit us all. Maybe mount 4 or 5 temp senders in differant places on the engine and gauges to match and that would give us a lot of info. Duane could do his testing on the engine stand and buster could do his in the water.

PS, buster, i think your temp is OK.
    Thanks, Chuck

My brain hurts. Keep in mind that I have been running my motor for almost two years hard and my motor is still running fine without an oil cooler. I was just out the other day with two people on an ran all day with no problems. I have developed another oil leak(small) on one of my valve cover gaskets but other than that, everything has worked flawlessly. I have tach, fuel gauge. oil pressure, and charging volts. I'm a keep it simple kinda guy.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee,

My head and my checkbook also hurt. Believe it or not, I also like the K.I.S.S policy, but other guys on here keep bringing up other possible senarios that MIGHT cause me problems. Then before ya know it I'm installing stuff like - CHT gauges on 4 cyls, 2 oil press gauges just to be sure, volt meter, oil cooler, oil temp gauge, (testing in different locations), a scattershield for the alternator. Oh yeah, an air scoop to keep the starter and front cylinder from overheating. (turns out that is the coolest place on the engine even without the scoop!)

Duane,

Remind me not to pay too much attention to your A/C buddies advice from now on

I think I soon may quit listening to all this percautionary advice, it has the tendency to empty my wallet, and and cause me undue concern

Chuck, In the meantime, will you please pass the hat to get me some funds to buy an assortment of oil temp gauges? ? ?

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Buster,

Papee hasn't needed an oil cooler, so until I find a need for it, I'm not going to install mine.

I think what I'll do is put my oil cooler in that box of 4Ao84 parts on the shelf in the shop, at least for now.

My oil temp sending unit is going in one of the oil drain plugs, like Chuck has suggested. Maybe I could start another thread about WHICH oil drain plug it should be installed in.

But your efforts were not wasted. Collectively, we've all learned from your experiments.

And I thank you for that. The truth be known, it's given you something to use up some of your spare time...

Now that you've mentioned it, what kind of CHT readings were you getting while doing the oil temp test?

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

MAA Vendor

I've went to the help desk to find out how to pass the hat on the internet. Sofar, no help.
    Chuck

Yeah,

Passing the hat on the internet seems to work for some, but not for most of us.

When I figure it out, I'll keep it to myself.

Maybe that's what's wrong with this idea...

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane I will be putting an oil cooler back on just for the increased oil capacity alone. I just hate to buy a new one when I now one of my buddies has one laying around somewhere. Also keep in mind that your aircraft buddies are using their motors in a different application, They are not on and off the throttle like we are, they pretty much run the same rpm all the time and imo run the motors harder. If our motors break we don't have as far to fall as they do.

If you're not going to use your cooler you could always send it to me. On another note, maybe some things I do won't work for you guys using a reduction becasue you will be running your motors a bit harder. Ah I give, uncle.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Duane,

I am really glad my experiments and my spare time are going to good use for someone. In the future, test results will be preceeded by this
    announcment-

THE FOLLOWING IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCMENT:

The CHT readings were just a tad lower with the oil cooler installed.

BTW, I don't know how much longer we can keep up this public service unless we get substantial donations. (all members keep passing that hat )

Dave

Buster,

The purpose of this reply is two-fold. One, I'm interested in how the oil cooler is working out for you. Two, I'm still trying to get my mind wrapped around how to navigate the new forum.

I replied to Steve's build thread a couple of hours ago, but it seems to have gone to thread heaven.

Let's see if this one does the same.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,

The oil cooler seems to be doing just what it should, although I haven't had much time to use the boat lately.

I can't say I have been having a lot of trouble with the new site. Sometimes if I can't find something I just go back to the begining and try again. I know Papee hasn't got all the pictures in yet, but everything else seems to be ok.

Dave
    Last edited by buster; 07-22-2010 at 09:37 PM.

During my build I was fascinated by this thread as to where to install my oil cooler and particularly by a comment that Duane made back on the first page. To quote him; "mmm.... I remember "something" about "in" and "out" being mislabeled on the 4A084. It seems like what I remember is that they are labeled from the perspective of the oil filter, not the engine".

After reading through all four pages of this thread, I discovered that no answer was ever given to this statement. Today I removed both hoses to see for myself how the oil flowed in and out of the engine and behold, Duane was right! The crankcase port labeled "In" is actually where the oil flows out of the crankcase to the oil filter and the crankcase port labeled "Out" is where the oil re-enters the engine from the oil filter. The reason that this is important to me is that I plumbed my oil cooler in the oil line between the "Out" port and the oil filter and it has not been performing well. I am now re-plumbing it between the oil filter and the "In" port so that the hot oil goes through the cooler first, then the filter.

Just a "heads Up" for other builders
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

You know, I've spent hours scratching my head over the lines myself...During the initial detailing of my 084 I realized the hoses did'nt seem to be correctly installed{by the block casting info} on the filter housing after I reinstalled them...At first I thought I may have goofed but luckily I looked back through my pics and it turned out I installed them exactly as they were taken off...I tried to look at everyone's build{including yours} to see where the cooler got plumbed in...

So thank you for taking the time to double check the oil flow and confirming what I've been torturing myself with for months...I figured after my initial fire up I could confirm my suspicions....

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

While we're on this subject of plumbing in the oil cooler to the 084 does anyone remember what size the factory oil line fitting are ?? What is everyone using for the engine/filter housing fittings ?? What about the rubber lines themselves ??? Is it better just to have the hydraulic hose shop fab up the lines or is'nt the 084's oil pressure an issue with using say a certain size rubber fuel injection line ??? Sorry for all the questions but this thread has so much good info I figured it would be best for the answers to end up here for future reference...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I believe that the original hoses were 5/16" but not sure.
    I decided to use 3/8" hose and purchase AN-6 fittings which are used on aircraft and are readily available on Amazon as are the corresponding male fittings which attach to the engine and have a 1/4 NPT end.
    The -6 hose end fittings screw onto the hose (both inside and outside of hose) and should never leak or come off.
    I also had to purchase two -6 adapters to go into my radiator since it had -10 ends.
    I can look back at my build notes and get you ordering info if you like but it may take me awhile to find time to do the research.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Thanks Ted, that overview will do just fine no need to dig through your papers...My cooler does have the AN-6 male fittings on it so I'm good there...Those were the one's I was really concerned about if I needed to order different fittings...I was wondering if mabe the original oil line fittings{and engine fittings} were a AN thread...I'll price out making up the hoses myself compared to having a shop make them up....I've got a local hydraulic hose shop that makes up our heavy equipment hoses and I may just take some measurements and have the original hoses and engine fittings along for reference to see where the prices fall...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine