Thread: 4a084

4a084

How do you get 40hp out of one of these?

Hey Bandit64,

Welcome to the Mini site.

The 084 engine is rated by the military at 20 hp, but that is done by running them in thin air at 12,000 feet above sea level, and several other less than ideal conditions. When you bring them down close to sea level, and put a decent exhaust on them, suddenly they produce around 40 hp!

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Wow that was easy! I thought it would be bigger pistons or some kind of reduction unit.
    That question answered. Which motor is better; an 048 or one of the rotax engines? I see a lot of 583's out there on boats and for sale.
    As little as I know it's looking like I need max push to run an aluminum hull with two people and there are so many different motors out there???

Can someone tell me the best option of what's out there if cost isn't an issue? And then a sensible one.

I don't want to commit to a build if these mini's won't do what I need.

Thanks in advance, Dan

An 084 with a reduction is a good setup, but Papee has been running one direct drive for many, many hours. I think he will tell you it is a very dependable engine. His boat is a rather large (for a mini) aluminum boat, and it preforms very well for him.

If 40 hp is big enough for you, the 084 is a good choice. If not, I wouldn't plan to do much "hop up" work on it though. I have read about that, and it seems the 084 does not take kindly to it.

I think you should talk to Papee, and Chuck, at Airboat pros for good advice on your questions. They will not steer you wrong!

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!