Thread: 084 not running right

084 not running right

I recently took my 084 off my boat to put the stock flywheel back on to set the timing. I've never really had it running 100% but now that I took the time to tear it down I figure its time. It seems like the one side with the #1 cylinder is fireing fine but the other side is blowing raw fuel out the exhaust. I thought maybe the plugs or wires were maybe bad but I changed them both with new and still the same results. could I have a magneto problem or something else. the motor runs still but it does backfire once in a while. after a couple mins. of running the one side exhaust is hot but the other side I can hold with my hands.

Re: 084 not running right

Pull that plug and see if there is any compression. May be a stuck valve.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

MAA Vendor

hi the 084s have a heat problem with the stock exaust and heat up the valve seats check the bad cyc for dropped seat or burnt valve , thanks saturn

Well I messed around with the motor today and discovered the rubber hose between the intake and the intake tube had some small cracks and holes. Hopeing this is all the problem was but took the carb apart to take a look at the float and ripped the gasket so gonna have to try and chase one of those down. Checked all 4 cylinders and had good compression. All were within a couple pounds of each other. Guess I'll have to try the in takes for now and see if that cures it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm really stumped now.
    I fixed all the rubber hoses for the intake and put a new carb on and still no change. The 1 and 3 cylinders seem to get hot after running it for a couple mins. The 2 and 4 cylinders are almost cool. So should I be able to hold the exhaust after it runs or should it be to hot to touch? Really can't figure out what would cause this to happen

That seems weird, is this what you are using for cyl numbers?
    Are you using the stock exhaust?
    The exhuast gets pretty hot, it wouldn't tkae long till you couldn't touch them.
    What do you have on for mufflers?
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Ya that's what I'm using for cylinder #s. It has the stock pipes on it but I have no muffler hooked to it. So what I'm thinking is the side that is getting hot is probably fine so I have a problem with the 2 and 4 cylinder not firing right. I can literally hold on to the exhaust after running it for a couple mins but the motor seems to run pretty well.

I would switch those two spark wires to start maybe they are on wrong. There is a thread here on replacing the magneto. Check that thread out to make sure you have the wires right. I'm on my phone or I'd link it for you. What magneto are you running? There are two available and the wires don't get hooked up the same on both.

Sent by note on a brick

I'll have to take a look and see about the mag. It's the original one if that tells you anything. I will double check the wires are hooked up right. Maybe I got them crossed. Who knows. The only other thing I could think Is maybe a timing issue.

Well you hit the nail on the head papee! Just those two wires that were switched and fires right up. Boy do I feel stupid!!! Not sure how that happened but I guess that stuff happens. Hope to get it all back together this weekend and be ready for the winter thaw. Thanks a ton for the help!!

No problem, just a process of elimination. The 084 came with two different mags from the builder, the slick mag and Fairbanks.