Thread: temps at idle?

temps at idle?

how would an 84 handle running for long periods at idle or just above? would it overheat?

Re: temps at idle?

No problems idling with the prop on. My oil temp only starts at 120 and when idling it is on the bottom peg. When my engine was running warm at times just a short time idling would cool it right down
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

so i could idle for hours hunting fish in shallow water with no problems?

That shouldn't be a problem ... I've idled mine for a couple of hours at a time and it ran cool. As long as your idle mixture isn't too rich in which case you may foul a plug. I'm in the habit of goosing mine every five minutes or so just to let it burn hot for a minute.
    Last edited by aerokirk; 09-04-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

good. more research i do the better the 84 looks.

The 084 is a very good choice but you have to keep in mind that they along with pretty much any mini airboat has its limits as far as speed and load hauling capability. As long as you accept this you will be happy. You just can't get the performance out of one of these small power plants that a bigger motor offers.

I messed around for years idling around not on plane because a light setup like this got me into places I couldn't get to with a jet boat or larger airboat. When I finally figured this out I was very happy being able to get to my fishing spots faster. This hasn't stopped me from tinkering though.

I'm not sure what I'll have to tinker with once I have the new carb on. I'm sure I'll figure something out.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Well ... there's alway turbo-charging
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Quote Originally Posted by aerokirk View Post
    Well ... there's alway turbo-charging
    The biggest problem with modding the 084 is the rod bearings, even though the main bearing are oiled through the pressure system the rod bears are just oil bathed. If this could be modified this engine would have not much of a limit for modifications.