Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New VW Solex intake

Re: New VW Solex intake

will anyone be offering the intake pre built for $$$$$ interested in this carb swap but have no tig welder

Quote Originally Posted by airjohn81 View Post
    will anyone be offering the intake pre built for $$$$$ interested in this carb swap but have no tig welder
    You really don't need a tig to do this, I did mine with a mig and spool gun. These intakes don't weld pretty no matter what method used because of the impurities in the castings.

With that said, I will make these for anyone who doesn't have the means to do it but will need the intake shipped to do it because these intakes are not real plentiful. I'm not sure about the price, I'd have to think about it, it does take some time to modify the intake and build the deck material so it fits the new carb. I'll have to check with Saturn and see how many he has I may be able to offer a different alternative.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

please let me know at your earliest convenience.... looks to be a little bit above my pay grade(lol) and looks like you got her figured out... if you get the intake from saturn ill send mine as a core and i think i may have another one laying around in my mess of spare parts for these little power houses an would send ya that one as well if i can find her.. thanks again for all your welth of knowledge on here ... !!!!

My new carb came in today and I got it on. I hooked it up the way Doz has his this time and I'm getting full swing. I didn't run it long but it turned up to 3400 rpm on the trailer. I didn't do anything to the carb at all, no adjustments. It ran fine and the idle was good right out of the box. The carb gains rpm trough the whole throttle swing as far as I see. I'll know more tomorrow after I have some river time in. I ordered my filter a couple days later so it will be a few days before I get it.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Sounds great Papee! I received my two spiders yesterday and my carb should be here on Monday ... anxious to get started. Sounds like you'll be able to go to a higher pitched prop soon.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

From the testing I was doing it came out to one degree for every 200 rpm. This was with the ultra prop. I'd like to get it back down to 2800 rpm. I forget where I'm at on my ultra prop, I have the blades cut shorter and have more pitch in mine because I like the hole shot that setup gives you. I use that prop when I'm going to be hauling another person or when I'm hauling loads over to camp. With that prop planing is instant but my top speed is only about 25.

Ill have to take all the weight out of my boat and find some skinny water to see if I can break my top speed record. 37 was my fastest but it did hit on 38 for a tick. I won't be able to run without a battery now because of the electrics on the carb

Papee what prop are you getting the 3400 from. Is it your arrow prop or the ultra. If you want to try a different wood prop I have this 54x26 arrow prop. It has the rotax 75 mm bolt pattern in it. Either way you may have just talked me into buying a new larger carburetor....dang lol
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Thanks for the offer but if you put the bigger carb on and get all the things taken care of on yours you could run it. That prop sounds about perfect for the way mine is running right now. I'm running the stick prop. I'll be watching though because this is most likely the last year for my stick prop, its getting pretty beat. I didn't get leading edge protection on it and the rain and bugs did a number on it.

My carb has not come in as of yet, but I went ahead and pulled the intake. The "flash" from the casting is really bad. It is not hard to see why there are issues with fuel distribution. As a side note: Before welding, pre-heat the joint thoroughly, and brush well with SST wire; it will make a big difference in the bond.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

I looked at my intake and the way it was done up im not sure if I will be able to switch to the larger carb. See I used an adapter for the guy to weld the "up" pipe and id have to cut that adapter off in order for it be able to mount a larger carb on it. Can someone please measure the engine side of the larger carb with a set of calipers. Kinda curious as to the size. Also what are the main jet size of the stock carb?

Do you want the bolt spacing? I'm pretty sure they are the same but I'll check the measurement later on when I go out to the garage. The butterfly in the carb is set into the carb a bit so even if your hole is smaller the carb will work. It won't be as efficient but it will work until you get something together.

I just got back from the river, it was a windy day and not good for comparison tests. It is weird how the motor turns more rpm on the trailer than it does on the water. You'd think it would be the other way around. With the boat being held back by being on the trailer you'd think that it would hold the rpm down more than the boat running free. The engine turned 3400 rpm on the trailer and 3200 rpm on the water.

As I said it was really windy but the boat worked flawlessly. I did notice that the boat easily went into the pretty strong wind where it had a hard time with any of the other carb setups I've tried. I am getting full swing from the carb and it is taking throttle all the way, no dead spot at the end. I didn't do any experiment with the carb adjustments or the accelerator pump adjustment. I'll save that for a more calm day. I shot a video and it's uploading now, I'll post the link to it in the video section when it's complete.

Edit: I guess I should add the video here to make it easier.

The diameter of the hole where the butterfly is. Thats great to hear the performance numbers you're getting. Cant wait to see the video. Are you going to try the ultra prop as well?

Quote Originally Posted by krwsr View Post
    My carb has not come in as of yet, but I went ahead and pulled the intake. The "flash" from the casting is really bad. It is not hard to see why there are issues with fuel distribution. As a side note: Before welding, pre-heat the joint thoroughly, and brush well with SST wire; it will make a big difference in the bond.
    I always use a dedicated SS brush when welding aluminum. I don't preheat unless it is a big piece with some thickness to it. This aluminum gets hot quick and holds the heat any way. Even on Doozits weld with the Tig you can see where it welded to the aluminum tube better than the intake. You can see a "shoulder" in the weld on the intake side and the aluminum tube side has nice penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozit20 View Post
    The diameter of the hole where the butterfly is. Thats great to hear the performance numbers you're getting. Cant wait to see the video. Are you going to try the ultra prop as well?
    I'm going to have to order new blades for the Ultra Prop. I have them cut too short and I'm running 18degree blocks.

krwsr
    Is telling you right ,stainless dedicated brush ,preheat ,brush the he|| out of it . That isnt to preheat for the welds it is to float impurities to the top so you can brush them away.
    Tig is the way to go on these manifolds if you have one,you can make a perfect weld if you want to take the time .
    Wirefeed is ok but the part is to small and you would nearly have to have it on a turntable to really get a good looking weld,tig is much slower with more control
    50 years experience in my fab shop and a lot of pipe welding and fabing in plants,steel,aluminium'stainless copper ,had to be good looking and stand pressure.
    Ron

Oh I did put the torch to it but I didn't "preheat" the piece.

Doozit ... I got my 34 pict-3 this morning and the carburetor bore (engine side) measured 1.338" with my calipers. The spider bore was 1.450 so it's a hair bigger.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

What hp and ci is that carb for?
    That maybe something I get into on my engine ,it seems the carb on the set rpm motors is a problem no matter what engine you use.
    Ron

Yes the stock carbs just aren't meant for the changing rpms with no accelerator pump. The old carb came off my Score Buggy but I'm not sure if it was original to the motor. The motor in my buggy was a 1600 dual port. It's fuuny this whole thing came about by accident becasue of that carb is just what I happened to have here. I guess that's how many things are discovered though.

Papee what oil temp setup are you using? Do you have a thread for it somewhere? Thanks for the measurement aerokirk.

Just thinking out loud here but for the reduction drive guys with the starters I dont think this setup will fit right....I was wondering if a 90 degree adapter mounted to the front would have the same results with this carb????