Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New VW Solex intake

Re: New VW Solex intake

Another thing to add to this deal. I am running headers and a tuned exhaust. By tuned exhaust I mean something like an expansion chamber. I got a set of Harley mufflers and took out the guts. Then I welded in washers and tuned the holes to what the engine wanted. I will most likely go over all this when I start experimenting with the new carb.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

The intake manifold that I made looks identical to yours papee. I had a guy tig weld an end cap and I bought a pipe the size of the body along with a carb that had the 30 to 34 carb adapter. I milled a hole in the stock intake in the middle and had the guy weld the pipe and the adapter together. I dont have temp gauges on my engine. Instead what I did was look at the spark pugs for heat at full throttle.

Papee, where you running without a filter when you got your results. Oh another thing I did was switch to auto plugs and I think that may be another factor as I think I actually lost like 100 rpm with that switch. But I could be wrong.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

I am not running a filter right now. I'll probably go with a larger KN filter after I have this all figured out.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Ok I bought the filter that is normally used for the vw carbs. I also took and blocked off the back half of the filter in an attempt to create kind of a ram air affect so that the air has to go straight into the carb when running as apposed to possibly having some suck out of the filter because of the prop being close to the intake. Just a hunch and may not have any affect. Im going to try a few different things if I can ever get around to testing much like you are going to try with exhaust with and without and maybe filter with and without...maybe a type of scoop with a screen??

I don't know how much the prop affects the carb but I do want to make sure I don't loose any rpm when putting on the filter. The only thing you can do is try these things and how it acts. It could be possible that by blocking off part of the filter you loose some air flow. You never know till you try something. Each time I go out fishing I try a couple things. When I stop to fish I make a change and see what it does.

Well, between us we should be able to figure this carburetor thing out.
    I ordered a spare spider from Saturn and for some reason, my iPad decided that I needed two so it ordered another two hours later ( not sure how that happened) but anyway, I've got two coming so if anyone else needs a spare, I'll have one. I also ordered a 34 pict-3 carb so I'll also be modifying mine. I also purchased the foam top hat filter so I'll have the complete package. I've noticed that my CHT is running between 475 and 500 deg F when cruising at 3000 rpm and I'm hoping to get that down as the max should be no more than 475. That's on number one cylinder so if you're correct Papee that means that my back cylinders are running hotter. My oil temps are running nice and cool though at between 160 - 200 deg F. Doozit ... do you have any pictures of your setup?
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

That is the oil temp range I had before putting on the Solex carb. I'm not sure what rpms you are running but I run between 2500-3100.

Edit: looks like you are at 3000, that's not far off of my 2500 I run unless there is no wind then I can run about 2100.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Interesting...I'm trying to figure out the reasoning for the stock baffle configuration....For anyone that cares I checked ebay and amazon...Amazon has the EMPI 34 pict 3 for $110.00 free shipping...

Thats where I got the two for our boats.

heres how I have mine set up. My phone is acting up and im haveing a hard time uploading pictures to photobucket for some reason. Hope it comes out.

steve

Same way I have mine except mine is turned 180 so the throttle linkage pulls.

I think they are the same way papee. The front is to the right and the throttle is on the other side which pulls forward. Ill see if I can get a pic of the other side with he linkage I am using.

Mine is 180 from yours unless I am looking at it backwards. I'll post photos in a few.

i don't know which of these will be flipped because of my iPhone so I'll post two.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

here ya go. The throttle cable hooks to the little bolt on the throttle arm and it is held in place from sliding with a piece of aluminum that crimps down on the outer part of the cable..

Hey papee reach back there and grab the throttle lever and pull it to full open slowly and see if the rpms stop gaining at some point just be careful of the prop thats all. If you want to get a definate rpm ill let you borrow my hand tach papee. Ive found that both tachs that I have are about 150-200 rpm off.

Hmm yeah it is the opposite. Guess maybe the 34 and the 30/31 are different?

I'm not using that hole on the arm, I drilled another hole about half way up that arm so mine pulls different.

Im going to switch back to the stock plugs and wires and see if theres any significant change as well.

As far as the tach goes, even if it's off a little the comparisons between my rpm changes should not be far off.

Aaahhh ok yeah I see that. Maybe a little closer to the swivel part and u will get a faster throttle swing as well more swing. Or maybe adjust down at the foot pedal?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozit20 View Post
    Aaahhh ok yeah I see that. Maybe a little closer to the swivel part and u will get a faster throttle swing as well more swing. Or maybe adjust down at the foot pedal?
    I did that so I would have a slower swing, I'll have to experiment more when the new carb comes in.