Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New VW Solex intake

Re: New VW Solex intake

Here is two videos of a carb rebuild that helps explain the carb and what the parts do. First one is disassembly and second putting it back together.

Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Anyone considering a purchase of the intake from me I will need your intake in exchange. The intakes are in short supply, I think Mark said he only has 15 or so left. I'm going to go grab a few more but its best that I get a core so I have plenty here.

The price for the intake is $100 with core exchange plus shipping. Without the core exchange it is $125 plus shipping.
    Last edited by Papee; 04-18-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hopefully mine comes in tomorrow.. Can't wait to see how it performs... Thanks again papee... Will definitely be posting the results!!!!

Papee ... I checked my solex main jet today and found a 127.5 installed. I ordered a 130 from Amazon and it should be in by Friday. I'll post the results when I get it installed.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Hey papee just letting you know that I git my carb in today thanks again.

You can also get a drill set and slowly go up in size until you find that sweet spot. It will save you a couple bucks in the long run.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

No problem Dooz,

I'm really not sure what rejetting this carb will do without doing any work to the emulsifier tube. You can send all the fuel you want at it but the fuel still has to get past the emulsifier.

I watched that first video and saw he mentioned that emulsifier tube your talking about. Do you know how those work together?? I have to make a different intake for that carb but I just like to get a heads up on things. Ill more then likely run it like you sent it to start with. But knowledge is always good lol

Yeah Papee ... I know what you mean. I thought I'd get another main jet first and try that and if it doesn't work, then mess with the others. I didn't want to modify the originally installed jet so I would have one to come back to if the upsizing isn't effective.

Here is an excellent article on how all the jets interact : http://www.vw-resource.com/jets.html

This is by far, the best article I've read on the Solex carburetors and it thoroughly explains all of the jets functions as well as the emulsifier tube and how to size them ... well worth the read!
    Last edited by aerokirk; 09-16-2014 at 06:26 AM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

With the new intake; what is being done with the vent tube from the stock carb air intake rubber? Does it need to be capped or be allowed to vent. I can't see anything from the photos what is being done.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

I just left mine open, do not block it. Depending on your location you may have icing problems with the carb. This is a condition that moisture forms on the carb then freezes causing the motor to backfire or misfire intermittently. If you have this problem a hose can be attached to your new air cleaner from this point and in most cases takes care of the icing problem.

Smile Re: New VW Solex intake

The VW air cleaner that I installed has a nipple on the bottom plate that is the same size as the crankcase vent nipple on the engine. I connected them with a flexible hose and it seems to be working great. Here are a couple of pics of my connections
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by aerokirk; 10-02-2014 at 11:41 AM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Hey Ted where did you buy you air cleaner, do you have an item number?
    Nick

Nick ... I Pm'd you
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Ok guys I finally got around to getting a new 34 pict 3 and on my yellow boat. After some tuning on the trailer I took it out for a spin. What im finding is that I really didnt gain much if any rpm over the 30/31. I also see that if I step on the gas it seems to hesitate/almost die and then build rpms. What do yall think is the issue here? Accelerater pump? I did a run and that happened after the engne was well warmed up and it also wanted to die/cutout right when I left the ramp. If I slowly press the gas it seems to not want to cutout but it will still seem like it takes a while to build the rpms...any suggestions?

Is this a new carb or the old one you got from me?

The one you sent me I could het to work right and like you said the idle couldnt be lowered. I went ahead and bought a new one. Im thinking its the accelerator pump. I turned all the way to one side but after watching the video u posted I think I have it the wrong way. Ill check in the morning

Oh and I think I still have to try and adjust the timing.

It sounds like it is stumbling when switching from the idle circuit. Adjusting it at idle should take care of it.

I have the idle set up pretty low at about 650 rpm so I can def see that would be an issue. What about the slow increase of the rpms. Like I push the throttle and im wide open at the pedal then it will slowly build rpms while holding the pedal there..

I'm sure that having that idle circut set so low is causing the problem. Tune it so you get a nice smooth idle and I'm sure it will be fine.

The other thing you describe may just be a characteristic of your prop length and pitch. It's just taking a while for the prop to spin up.