Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 1060 from scratch

It's far from completed. The pump ball is temporary. I still have to move my gas tank around to find where it rides well. Then I will mount everything.

What are y'all's suggestions on gas tank and battery locations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a still picture of us running dry down the bank and into the water.

Cool pics. That boat looks so lighweight. Very good job.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Re: 1060 from scratch

Great looking boat Froghunter! I would recommend mounting your gas tank and battery in a lightweight frame (aluminum angle, etc.) but don't fasten it to the hull until you see how the boat planes with different weights onboard. This way you can move it around to find the best location before making it permanent.

Looks like great fun!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Why is my 084 so hard to crank. It takes for ever to get it lit up. I killed a fully charged battery cranking the boat twice today. Runs great after I do get it going.

It looks like you've build a fun boat !! A little more info is needed....Is it hard to start when it's cold ?? Is it cranking fast but just not firing or is it cranking slow when hot ??? Was the starter new ???

Cold,warm all the same. Starter is new and strong. A little gas did come out of the carb. I think the float is sticking after fooling with it tonight.

Sounds like you might have diagnosed your own problem...Do you have an inline filter on the fuel line ??? The SBC starter should crank the 084 fast and easy...I looked through your build to see where you've located the starter...If you discover the starter is getting heat soaked after a long run on a hot day there is a heat shield available that bolts on the starter...It's thin and would fit right in there...It's aluminum with a ceramic "tile"{supposedly the same material as the space shuttle}...About 1/8 thick total... I've used that style shield on an old Camaro I built years ago when the headers were tight around the starter it fixed the issue....But if it's the carb then you're good with that...

So, do you feel the battery you've got is up to the task with that starter ??? Seems you should get more than two tries before it dies...Keep that rope pull in your emergency kit !!!

The biggest problem with the stock carb is the float sticking.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

are there any mods that can be done to improve the stock carb float?

I tried a few things but the tolerances in there aren't good, the float hangs up on the side of the bowl. I just replaced the carb every time it started happening since Saturn is so close to me. Just get in the habit of keeping something handy to tap the carb when it happens. The ramp I use is very steep a places and it seemed to hang there every time. I just got in the habit of tapping the carb before starting it each time.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I have a question about your build...You stated you have a procedure for tacking the boat together starting at the transom and working front...How do you pull your sheeting up for the bow radius ??? Do you have any help at that point of assembly ??? I've discussed this with Papee in my build thread and he likes to start with the bow and work back using the sidewal as leverage...I'm weighing all the options on how I can get mine done with little to no help...If need be I can recruit some friends but I still need a plan of attack...THANKS!!

I don't have a shop so I built a "table" out of my trailer. I started tacking at the tran some. Got it all squared up the strapped the whole boat on the table. I then placed a 4x4 post across the boat and ratchet strapped the 4x4 on each end. Tack every inch then slide the 4x4 further up and repeat.

Here is an artistic rendition of actual events.

And I built it 100% solo.

Flipping it over and ratcheting it down is a great idea...I've seen more than one build using a utility trailer it makes for a good solid platform to work...I was going to go that route also but the two I have access to would'nt do it...One was too small and one was too big....So I built the table in the shop...Thanks for sharing how you built it...For some reason most the builds all seem to skip some needed info on exactly what the builder did to actually get from point A to point B...

Not that it was hard to do.......but look what Doozit talked me into.

The or the carb ??? Just kidding...Looks like you're off on another adventure !!!

Who meee??? Lol. Your going to be much happier with that carb over the stock one.

Is that in your new tool/work room?