Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 1060 from scratch

rudder Frames and linkage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is how I reversed the travel of the carburetor and made adjustable linkage.

How does your rudders pivot? Is that 3/4 conduit over 1/2"?
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Re: 1060 from scratch

if you look real close to the top top pic you can see 1/4" grade 8 bolts welded to the back of 1/2" conduit. the top of the pipe has a 1/4" rod coupling welded to it. it pivots on bolts with nylon washers in between. my fist idea we talked about was to wrap thin aluminum skin over this to form an air foil style rudder. for now it will be plain ole plate. i will upgrade them later.

im having trouble finding a temp gauge for the cylinder heads. what is everyone using? would an oil temp gauge show when the engine is getting hot?

I don't use cht gauges, I just run an oil temp gauge. You can tell by the oil temp if you're running hot.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

What's normal oil temp?

Here is the throttle linkage all done. No job is complete until something is held together with bailing wire. until I get my filter housing built wire will hold an old sock in place. This is just for testing.

Choke is installed. It almost won the fight tonight.

Console is built and installed. Still lots of stuff to do there.

Steer stick is done and rudders installed.

Throttle is done. It's rigged up enough to run tomorrow!!!!!

Story time!!!

Got it in the water. Not a leak and it floated well. Looks like the weight is distributed correctly. It was a bear to crank. Once it finally fired it was back firing and had no throttle response at all. Thankfully Doozit came to the rescue again. After several text we found two plug wires crossed. Fixed that and hit the starter button, fired right up!!! That's when the next two problems showed up. Instantly I was shooting across the small pond. Crab linkage worked fine in the yard but now it was stuck 1/2 open. After a short ride I put it on the bank where problem number 2 came into play. My decision to go with out a kill switch installed turned out to be a very, very bad idea. My plan of touching two wires together to ground it out was somewhat difficult at half throttle with the boat crawling up the bank. It will also shock you! So after more redneck engineering I got it to go from about 1/8 throttle to 1/2 throttle. Now it was go time!! It did really well. We rode all over that pond. It handles great with me but didn't like all 3 of my kids sitting close to the bow. My buddy rode as well and it did better with him further back. It does run DRY!!!!! I drove it up the bank and down the dam a ways till I hit sand and stopped. This was all at 1/2 throttle too. I pushed it into the grass on a downhill slope, loaded all my kids in it and ran dry to the water.

Still lots of work to do but it's a success and I'm very happy with it.

Im glad you got her going my man. Very good job and I knew that would run dry. Those wood props have a whole bunch of push. Glad you got your kids to take a spin. And yeah definitely get a kill switch and your throttle figured out so you can put it through the paces. Always glad to help buddy. Enjoy and be safe.
    Steve
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

kill switch ordered

Are you running that 54x26 prop? I'm interested it what rpms you are turning with that prop.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

i dont have a tach yet but will post results when i get one.

got her legal today!! got it titled, vin number installed and tags bought. now just to complete a few things and it will be time to put a fish in it!

Good for you, I know you'll have many years of satisfaction out of all the work you've done, You'll have some gremlins to sort out as we all do but you're well on the way. One suggestion I have from scanning your photos, I'd move that pump ball up close to your fuel filter so you can get at it much easier.

Let's see completed photos. I would love a mini that runs dry!