Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 1060 from scratch

Re: 1060 from scratch

Quote Originally Posted by froghunter View Post
    I sure hope to use it on a lot of critters. I'm frustrated at how slow its going though. I moved from 40 hours to 60 hour work week and hospice has given my dad 2 weeks. This boat has been a blessing to me. It has given me a goal and it keeps my hands and mind busy. Maybe next Saturday I can complete the seams and water test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bless your Dad and family; I know how tough that is.
    Were you able to get the arch added with out to much hassle?
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

I haven't touched the boat in 3 weeks. I'm still on 60 hour weeks and dad has passed on. My "free" time has been spent dealing with his estate. But on the bright side I did pick up a cheap trailer that will be cut up and rebuilt. I will also be down to 40 hour weeks by the end of October. So I can plan on a busy November of welding. As far as the arch goes, I offset the corners in hopes of it working well enough. .

Real sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you get to start building again so you can keep your mind busy.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Sorry about your loss and we are thinking of you and your family .
    Ron

Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. The wife and I have lost 3 of our 4 parents and it's always so painful but alas, a part of life. Build on!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

i have a bad case of the "want too's" but until the end of this month there simply isnt any time. i leave at surise and get home well after dark. sleep is the only thing i do at home now. i can still plan and dream though. i need help with my prop selection. i am set on a 084 direct drive. beam of boat is 66" and base is 60". after calling 3 prop makers, only one has ever heard of the 84. they suggested a 48" 3 blade composit. will that work? a smaller prop will allow the engine to sit lower(boat is kinda narrow) but a bigger prop will move more air. I NEED HELP!!

59×10 3 blade ultraprop. I currently run two of those on both the boats I built. My yellow boat has a 65" bottom and 69" gunnel at the back. I can only get the prop to spin up to 2700 rpm but itll push my boat 29 mph with me in it and about 22 with two people. My dads boat is wider 7' at the gunnel in the back and he runs 24 with him in it. His boat is heavier then mine. Bare hull weight for our two boats is 220 for mine and about 250 for his. He runs a bigger battery then me and he weighs about 30 lbs heavier. Just me in his boat will run 26. Just my 2 cents.
    steve

is ultra prop a brand name? i googled it and didnt find a web site for it.

You can get a hub from arrowprop. Think its a little over 100. Or you can go wood 2 blade from arrow prop. I know papee uses them and hes happy with them. I have one as well. I found that it seems like they have more push but the top end speed i feel goes to the 3 blade ultra prop. Atleast thats what I found. I shimmed my motor recently so Im going to put the wood back on and see if there is a major difference in top end. I had both on my dads boat and there was a 4 mph difference with his favoring the longer ultraprop.

What length is your 2 blade wood prop?

I can spin a 54x26 up to around 2650. I believe papee spins 52x24 up to around 3000 but that was with the stock carb. Im sure he will be a long shortly to get you some more info on his numbers.

FINALLY!!!!! Progress to report. No boring pics today because al I did was stitch weld the exterior seams. I'm about 80% complete with the hull fab at this point. Lord willing I can water test next weekend.

I also got a trailer off of Craig's list. It was cheap and for a good reason. I was sure to ask how the tires were and was told "good". The both went flat within seconds of each other 5 miles from my house. Good thing I live way back in the woods, I down shifted and kept moving. It's Gona do great after a little work.

Glad to see your back at it....im still waiting to see how much yourhull weighs with the .090

The welding just takes time, I tried to split my seam welding time up by doing other things jumping back and forth. It still seemed to take forever to get it all welded both inside and out. You're on the home stretch, have fun!
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Arrow prop says I need a 48". If I go bigger will I be able to troll at a slow speed? Of course I want good top end speed but I will be doing more trolling than running.

Have you talked to Don since I gave you the prop number? I'm not understanding why they are recommending a smaller prop. If you want I can call him and make sure you get the right prop. The prop I have on is almost perfect for the 084 with the 34 pict carb mod. With its wider chord it holds the rpms right at 3100. The more narrow prop like on the green boat can be over revved, I'm not sure by how much but I did see 3300 rpms at one point when I noticed it. These props are designed to run at 3100 max.

With any of the props I've used, the arrow wide blade, narrow, and the ultra prop the trolling is fine at idle even in the river current. I like to keep my idle up a bit at around 1000-1100 rpm to keep vibrations to a minimum.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I just want to add that I got some .25 wire for my welder to do some body panel patching on the 65 GTO restoration we are doing. I had the brainstorm to try welding some conduit with it because I figured it would weld better being thinner wire. I have no idea why I didn't give it a thought before but the thinner wire worked much better for welding the conduit. Nicer welds and didn't burn through nearly as much as the .30

I just used it in my spool gun so I didn't have to change out the big spool inside the welder.

Thats strange about the size prop. What pitch did he recommend on the 48"? Is it the wide blade prop that hes recommending? Im with papee and saying the 52" would be best maybe even a little longer if you go with the 34 carb.