Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 1060 from scratch

Re: 1060 from scratch

Very cool idea with the rudder mounts. How far back from the transom will the holes be?
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Total length of the bracket is 6" so the hole should be around 51/2"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That should work with enough room for the front of your rudders to clear the prop.

I hope so! My phone died last night stopping my search for a 084. I walked outside to put my tools up and ended up welding for another 2 hours. Only thing left is the eye bolt and I'm done mig welding aluminum for a while

just ordered an 084!!!! and i wired money to doozit last night for a prop. things are starting to look up lord willing i will be done with the almin welding thrusday night. LOTS of sanding and painting in my future now. gator glide is the last major purchase i have to make then it will be off to the rigging.

Your prop will be shipped very soon. Getting it boxed and packaged up hopefully tomorrow.

got another question.

since i plan to troll alot i would like to run the boat while standing. would it be a bad idea to have the throttle set up on the steer stick? maybe something like a motorcycle break?

No need to do that just stand up. I do it all the time while running to see over the tall sawgrass to make sure im not about to hit something. Ill see if I can dig up a pic of my buddy driving while standing in his hunting boat. All you need to do is make a hoop in front of you as a handle to hold while standing to make yourself more stable. Otherwise it can get a little rocky. I dont have a front hoop but when going through thick sawgrass patches I find myself holding the steering stick pretty good lol

that might work then. im also kicking around the idea of having a second steer stick on the bow with a throttle on it. i could govern it down to trolling speeds and drive from the bow. more weight and work though. i need to bust tail and get this hull painted befor temps start to drop.

Only bad part about building a hull from scratch is the cutting,cleaning,welding,grinding, roughing up, priming and painting. Other than that its a blast

One inside gunnel is primed.

Gator glide now on the way too.

Be sure you have nice weather for the gator glide. It really cures fast but they say you need a good stretch of decent weather for it to cure correctly.

I know my build really slowed down when I was at the final welding stages it seemed like forever. Be sure to use a good self etching primer and rough it up good to give the paint a shot at sticking. This is a point that if you rush it will cause a lot of work later so take your time.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I kinda like the idea of a second driving position up forward. I would do that one with cable for the throttle and teleflex for the steering to hook from the front to the normal steering position. Maybe rig up a quick release so it can be folded down and out of the way when not in use.

She be primed. Inside and out. I didn't prime the area that will be under the flooring but have since decided to go ahead and prime the whole thing.

Looks good. I like the color of just the primer lol. Is that the color your going with?

Absolutely outstanding! Looks factory made. Great job! One can tell you have put a lot of work into it.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

Thanks guys. The final coat is close to the primer color. I'm rough on boats and don't want scratches to easily show. I will have to scrape it down to bare metal to change colors. It's going to be green/black/raw aluminum diamond plate. Cage will be black and undecided on motor colors.

Got my eye bolt fab'ed up. I will get the welder out later this week and finish it. That should be the last of the aluminum. Still lots of paint to take care of for now.

Guess a pic would help.