Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 1060 from scratch

Hybrid View

1060 from scratch

And so a life long dream starts to take shape. My plans are for a 10' long 5' wide boat at the base. 66" beam across the back narrowing to a 60" bow. 14" sides and a 1/2 deck over. Full cage, 2 seats and power house is to be determined. Possibilities also include reduction, poly bottom, flotation, and who knowers what else.

As with all things you start with a plan.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: 1060 from scratch

And then a pile of material.

And 2 hours later it slowly takes shape.

I'm glad to see you using the channel, its much easier to walk on than the Ts. Someone told me the Ts are stronger but I just can't see that with the two sides on each channel. Are you using structural channel with the rounded(thickened) inside corners or the regular channel? Structural is stronger but on a small boat the regular channel would be fine and save some weight.

Have fun can't wait for more photos.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

i used the regular square sided channel. i checked and what i got is 1/8" thick. the rounded corner channel is 1/8" as well. only difference is the corners. if it donst rain i will be tacking metal together tonight.

Frog
    Your looking good ,watching you go at it.
    Ron

I LOVE tacking a boat together. Makes such a huge difference.

Just a bit of assembly advice for the future or anyone else looking at this later. It is easier to start welding at the bow and work your way back. This way you can pull down on the side and the bottom will bend easily to shape. I used a ratchet strap to pull down each time I moved so I could weld with both hands.

One other thing I notice but it may just be the photo. It does not look like there is any arch in the bottom at the transom. You should have 3/4- 1 inch of arch back there.

Keep up the good work, building it is as much fun as your first ride.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I agree that starting from the bow is easier. However starting from the stern is easier to keep the boat square. I have built a few small boats and have a jig and a method devised for bending in the bow.

Now about that arch.....I suddenly feel like an idiot. This whole time I thought the arch referred to the TOP of the transom and was designed to allow the prop to set lower.

How bad a screw up did I just do?????

It's not going to be able to slide, the edges will dig in. The little arch also helps strengthen it, it will bend more easily. Most important is the edges being in the water on a turn, it won't turn very well and could catch and flip you. I'm not sure about your engine or what speeds you will see but would not be good at faster speeds. Sometimes it is necessary to spin the boat out to stop quickly. I've only had to do it once but it saved a wreck.

Thanks papee. It's just tacked. I can still save it.

Ok, after much thought (aka beer) I have a brilliant redneck solution to my arch dilemma. I will post details later. For now....onward.

Due to rain I only got an hour in tonight. I was able to get the bow tacked in. That's a 2" peice of pipe for my front "bumper". Happy with it so far!

Wow you made some fast progress there. Great job looks good so far. Keep the pictures coming.
    steve
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

What thickness and grade aluminum did you go with for your build. Im working on getting stuff together aka funds for another build and am going to go from scratch.

I honestly don't know the alloy. I told the guys I needed boat aluminum and they ordered it for me. As for thickness it's .090(gasp!) I know 100 or 125 would be better but I had several reasons for going 090. I'm bracing it well and adding poly to the bottom and sides. Also my supplier was back ordered on anything thicker in a 10'x5' sheet. I mainly play in shallow water with muddy bottoms chasing fish at slow speeds. I should be fine.

Sounds good to me...my next boat is going to be out of .080 . Figured my buddy has a 14'x7' made out of .090 and hes got a 0-540 300+hp so .080 for a 40 hp ought to be plenty. I even thought about .063 for a boat but I just dont think the strength will be there and the added supports and structure needed would out weigh the slightly thicker aluminum. Let me know theweight of you bare hull if at all possible.

Closer.

Very nice work.

very nice.... way to grab the bull by the horns! Where in Texas are you?