Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 1060 from scratch

Nice work
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Thant you sir. There will be no reports tomorrow cause I'm going fishing!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little done. I got all the bed liner installed, scored 10$ Harley exhaust on c.l. And got one fish in the boat.

Looks like I have to upgrade tapatalk to upload pics. Grrrrr. Will do that later.

I also got my prop today. Doozit is an awesome guy and excellent to do business with. Thanks for the prop bud!

Re: 1060 from scratch

No prob my man cant wait to see you up and running. Excellent deal on those mufflers. Like I texted you, you may want to weld on a 2" adapter for using standard 2" flex pipe. Easier to find at any hardware store though I would recommend spending a little extra money and go all stainless otherwise youll be doing like I did and replacing it a year or so down the road. Soon your engine will be there hopefully and then the reql fun begins.

Yep. Already found stainless flex pipe. Just waiting to see what kind of redneck engineering is needed to build headers.

Y'all using stainless headers as well?

Yup all stainless except the few inches of stock exhaust. What I did was make 2 to 1 pipes on either side that slide over the stock exhaust pipes. Just gota find the right size pipes to fit. And u just cut the exhaust off leaving a few inches so you have something to clamp to. Or you can find pipes the same size and make the flanges that go onto the heads, but I havent looked into that one. I just went down the the stainless dealer with a piece of the exhaust pipe and looked around until I found a pipe that fit snug enough over it and bought I think 5 or 6 feet of it.
    Last edited by Doozit20; 10-28-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Can you mig stainless?

Never used it before.

I used an arc welder with small rods but I think you can. I think aerokirk miged his whole rigging and it was stainless

MIG welding stainless is easy; use 308 wire; {309} to combine stainless and carbon. The usual choice for the filler when welding stainless to mild is 309L./309 is over alloyed stainless steel (19/10) so when diluted by the mild steel gives a deposit approximately like 308L / 304L. Works fine with argon gas. The best gas for MIG welding stainless is 97.5% Argon +2.5% CO2. Keep it clean!!!
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

Thank you sir. Now I know where to start.

Will 309 work on straight stainless as well?

Still haven't updated tapatalk, so no pics. Front eye is welded on. Inside is painted and bed liner is installed. Right now it's flipped upside down and waiting on the ups man to bring my gator glide. Hopefully my 84 will be here tomorrow. I hope to pic up my cage and engine stand material tomorrow. I'm kinda excited to weld on something beside aluminum.

Measure three times cut once but measure again before finishing the cut lmao enjoy

Do not recommend it; it is not an all purpose alloy.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

Hi Guys,Yes you can mig weld stainless which is what I did on my entire structure. If you're welding stainless to stainless use 308 wire and if you're welding stainless to mild steel then use 309 wire. You need to use special gas though which is a blend of three. The recommended gas is Argon/Helium/CO2 but it is VERY expensive so I used an alternative of Argon/Nitrogen/CO2. It was much cheaper and I was really pleased with it's performance. Praxair handles it by the name of Stargon.
    Last edited by aerokirk; 11-02-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Thanks for all the stainless info. Still haven't updated tapatalk, so still no pics. I however have been busy. Bottom of boat is primed with gator glide base. I built a jig and started on my two main hoops. My 084 also came in. It's new, still in the crate. There is plenty of work to keep me going.

Quote Originally Posted by froghunter View Post
    got another question.

since i plan to troll alot i would like to run the boat while standing. would it be a bad idea to have the throttle set up on the steer stick? maybe something like a motorcycle break?
    I was just looking around for something and saw this. I use a lighter return spring for my carb. This allows me to set the foot throttle at a rpm I want and it will stay there. It will slowly start losing rpms but for the most part stays where I put it. The only bad thing about this is that if I want to slow the boat in a hurry I have to put my toe under the pedal and lift the pedal up. I like it though because I can set it to cruise and don't need to have my foot on the throttle all the time.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Time to get caught up from where I left off.

Only boated one fish but had fun.

Built a jig to bend pipe on