Thread: 084 fuel

084 fuel

Has anyone had any issues with the 10% ethanol, and should there be any additive to the fuel?
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

Re: 084 fuel

Hi Kenneth.. Well let's face it we should be eating the corn not putting it in our tanks..Not only did it drive up crop prices and food across the board but if you figure out the planting,maintenence, harvesting etc... Well, you get the idea {it was a bad for the end comsumer and it was amazing seeing the big companies get set up with agricultural land to rake in the profits from the beginning} Anyhow enough of that aspect of it...

I'm sure you've read all the horror stories about ethanol and the troubles or you would'nt be asking...Truth be told the alcohol is a great cleaner but has many side effects...The first one was when it was introduced to our old engines and immediately cleaned years of gum,varnish, and crud right into your filter{if you were lucky enough to have one}..

Then after you've got by the initial trouble of using it comes the next problem due to the fact that some gaskets and internal seals could'nt take the alcohol.... Many classic autos had carb problems and the manufacturers stepped up with kits designed with new gasket material that's compatible with ethanol....
    Now after years of ethanol in service it's been found that the alcohol does in fact react with aluminum over time...Yes, it reacts and creates a white residue between the fuel and the alloy...And once you've allowed the engine to sit and the fuel dries out the residue turns to powder... Some manufacturers are now coating the aluminum parts that come in contact with the fuel {like the internal passages of a fuel pump} to create a barrier...

But what does it all mean to us and the 084 ??? The best and easiest course is prevention...Is in the form of a fuel additive to counteract most{if not all} of the issues...

One of the biggest issues with ethanol is it's ability to "absorb" water and make it into something that will {for the most part} pass through a filter and burn...Remember the old fuel line antifreeze and deicers ?? Yep, alcohol...Anyhow in that ability is the downfall...It's called phase separation...The ethanol absorbs water but if the fuel is'nt used in a timely manner or is exposed to extreme humidity the ethanol becomes saturated and separates from the gasoline...Now you've got gasoline which still could be used..But the ethanol/water is now unusable and is laying in the system...Best case senario{if you did'nt use an additive} you need to drain the tank to get rid of it...Worst case would be it's also in the lines and carb then dried out leaving a big mess requiring tear-down...

Remember the days where the "right" thing to do was to fill the tank to prevent condensation in the tank for the winter slumber ??? That went out the window with the introduction of ethanol...Now we're told to completely drain the system if stored for more than a month... Classic car guys got blindsided with ethanol...Besides the horrible fuel economy the original fuel stabilizers {like STABIL} did'nt work !!! In their defense they have addressed the ethanol with the "marine" formula but it's twice the price of the original...

Which leads us to the next generation of stabilizers...The key here is to use one that does'nt break the bank...The the latest and best stuff {IMO}is this.. http://www.starbrite.com/en/startron I've used this stuff for a few years now and it does all it says...I had an experiment going in a small engine and the fuel stayed fresh for over 2 years !!! Fired right up like I used it yesterday...Prevents phase separation and has the cleaner additives also..I've found a few places sell it and more are picking up on it...Tractor supply is one that comes to mind as well as a bunch of lawnmower dealers in the area...

A buddy of mine is a manager at Lowes home improvement and stated they now use it in all of the demo models now...They ran into problems by adding only a small portion of fuel to the items on display in the parking lot and the fuel was going bad within a few weeks !!! Nothing like having a new lawnmower than needs a carb rebuilt before it sells...They now sell star-tron also...

Sorry for the book but you know I like to explain why and not just a short answer...

Thanks Corky for the info! I have a Tractor Supply close by and will give it a test. I have not been happy with the Stabil; good to know there is something out there that is better.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Direct Drive

From what I've been reading the 084 compression is low compared to other comercial engines and will tolerate just about any grade of pump gas in stock form... I've read some have tried milling the jugs and/or heads to increase compression {and gain HP} then running premium or even avgas but the actual gained HP is vague in the articles...Seems the big limiting factor is the engine's ability to cool itself with those mods... Most are limiting the HP search using carbs or EFI and an upgraded exhaust on a relatively stock engine..But that still does'nt affect the original octane requirements of the engine...

I don't know about the engines themselves but with both my boat and now my uncles we've had to take off the fuel lines and replace them with better material. I used regular black gas line and it was putting black gunk and small pieces through the carb clogging it.

Cooling is a big factor and one of the reasons I choose to stay with the direct drive. Getting the fuel mixture has a lot to do with this. This is why I am still experimenting with the Tillotson setup trying to get a little more rpm and help keep it running cooler.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hi Papee,

I've run into the same problem with the standard grade rubber automotive fuel line... I found a better grade what most auto parts stores call "fuel injection" hose that has what looks to be a plastic liner in it...It also retains it's shape {round} better when making radiused turns and does'nt collapse over time...Another option would be to get the longer length of hose when you buy the marine primer bulb/hose kit like the one attwood sells...The fuel line is a grey plastic type that does'nt break down like the automotive fuel line...After a few years my primer bulb usually gets hard and unusable but the hose does'nt break down...

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    I don't know about the engines themselves but with both my boat and now my uncles we've had to take off the fuel lines and replace them with better material. I used regular black gas line and it was putting black gunk and small pieces through the carb clogging it.

Cooling is a big factor and one of the reasons I choose to stay with the direct drive. Getting the fuel mixture has a lot to do with this. This is why I am still experimenting with the Tillotson setup trying to get a little more rpm and help keep it running cooler.
    I have been reading the same thing with regards to increasing HP; your better off working with carburation and exhaust. Shaving heads and other mechanical alterations prove to be a bad return on your investment. It would make more sense to start out with a bigger engine. I think I am also going to stay with the direct drive and try to use supper clean fuel. I just hate dealing with the ethanol with these engines. Hopefully using the additives will resolve any issues. I have also read ethanol degrades the standard rubber fuel line; definitely need to use the marine grade hose. What are your thoughts on using a fuel/water inline separator? I have noticed most all new boats are equipped with them.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Direct Drive

I originally thought of putting a water separator on mine but there again, you're adding weight and if you have a good tank and are careful not to introduce water into it then you don't really need one. JMO
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

These motors run so good a little water won't stop them. When I first got my boat on the water I loosened the mag just enough that I could move it while running it on the water. I did this on the trailer first to get it close. The load on the water is not the same as it is strapped to the trailer. After getting the mag set where it ran the best and started easily I thigh ten it down.

The next thing I worked on was the exhaust. I read that these motors do like some back pressure so I went from there. Remembering my dirt bike days and buying the stinger exhaust pipes with the different size washers I set out to do the same with the 084. The Harley mufflers had too much back pressure with the baffles in so I took them out. I welded in two washers that fit in the end of the muffler then set out for the river with my step drill but along. I ran it again drilling out the size of the hole until I got it where I wanted it.

Now with the new carb setup I'll be going through this again but it should be pretty close other than a mag adjustment. I do have the two carbs mated together now I just have to get another fuel line and a block to mate the two lines and an inlet.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA