Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New starter setup for the direct drive folks

Re: New starter setup for the direct drive folks

looks like the same prop adapter as the one i used to mount the chevy flex plate on. i had to have a 1 inch spacer on first then the flex plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My prop adapter doesn't line up with the holes on my flex plate

what i did, on this option, was to mill out the center of the flywheel so it would be exactly centered on the arrow prop hub. and then i re-drilled the holes in the flex plate to line up with the holes on the arrow prop hub. (i can't find a picture of when doing that) and i also did that with the 1" spacer that i used. i have a friend with an larger mill and lathe, to do this on. if your hole is a little off center, it can really raise havick with the starter pacing. it took longer to center the flywheel on the mill. that it did to bore out the hole to slide over the stub on the hub. and i picked up a 5 inch round off of ebay for the spacer. this too we centered it to the hub and drilled matching holes using the hub for a template.

there are a few different ways to get to the end result. but i can't stress enough to use a method, that you will end up with a centered and balanced attachment.
    i have since changed the style of starter, to the style that bgmcl60 is using, with this style you don't need to worry about the prop hitting the nose cone, and you may not even need to use a pacer to hold the flywheel away from the prop. i just haven't had time to do anything with my 084 except to drill and tap holes to mount the starter to the existing bracket that i made a couple of winters ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Bart; 08-08-2017 at 03:20 AM.