Thread: Aluminum Coatiings

Aluminum Coatiings

What is the best aluminum primers and top coats?
    Kenneth
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

Re: Aluminum Coatiings

Zinc Chromate is the best primer for aluminum ... it's what we use on aircraft.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Where would a person buy it? I have never seen it; that I can remember where I shop. I will check it out on the net. What about the top coat?
    Kenneth
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Direct Drive

How much of your boat do you plan on painting ??? In this area I know guys that leave the aluminum natural, some actually polish the exposed aluminum, and still others have a combo of polished aluminum and painted striping on their boats...And then there's the paint everything approach....

You won't be painting a complete hull with the 15 dollar zinc chromate spraybombs it would'nt be cost effective...From an automotive view each paint manufacturer has their own zinc primer...Here's PPG's version as an example http://buyat.ppg.com/rep_pafpainttoo.../tdb/6-204.PDF Keep in mind this is only a primer coat and will need a topcoat of some kind...One of the advantages of using a company like PPG{there's many others like Sherwin-Williams,Dupont,Sikkens etc...} would be the compatibility of each layer using their "system" for coverage...The topcoats are just as broad a spectrum...Single stage paint{enamel,urethane}, base/clear two stage...

The big downfall in 2014 would be the skyrocketing paint prices across the board no matter who's brand you use...

There's other avenues out there....A bunch of marine and aircraft coatings.. Cost and your ability are the biggest factors...

Thanks Corky for the info. Yeah the spay can is definitely not an option. I have a compressor and a good paint gun. I know what you mean on cost; I bought some automotive pant not to long ago. It was out of sight! I will check the net for marine coatings and see what is out there. I just want to get a good coating that will not peel off and weather easily.
    Kenneth
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Direct Drive