Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SWAMP FOX/krwsr

Re: SWAMP FOX/krwsr

i have a really dumb question. a starter is an electric motor, could you rewire it (reverse +&-) and make it run in the oposite direction?

It might be possible to do that but then you will have to change the jackshaft clutch because it only rotates one way and then springs back once the engine it running faster then it is turning. At least thats my take on it
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Yep! I am not going down that street; this has been a costly mistake enough as it is.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

You can make a setup like I did on mine but you will need the larger flexplate. A little bit of fab work to get it done but it works great. And depending on if you have the same starter I do or if you have the one without the cone around the gear. If you gotthe one without the cone you may be able to get away from making the spacer that I had to.

This is what my brother-in-law is using the starter and ring gear are from a snowmobile.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The starter setup I did was based mainly from that post eskimoboy. I used a rotax ring gear and a harley starter. Works great

Hey Doozit; I have my 153 tooth off for exchange now for the 168. Turned out the exchange was not the hassle I was expecting, and I was able to exchange the starter for the Mercruser as well. Just a big loss of time. But as you can see, I have plenty to keep me busy. So far my rudder project is going well, and they look good. At one time I thought I read Papee was gong to have some decals made for the Mini Ass? I would like to put one on each of my rudders. Was I dreaming?

eskimoboy: I like that set up also, but I am trying to keep everything close in. If what I am doing does not work out, that may be my option. Some how I managed to get confuses on the Chevy flex plate and starter setup; I think I am on the correct track now.
    You "Pioneer Pros" please keep a close eyes on us "Rookies"!! I hate doing re-work.
    Last edited by krwsr; 09-20-2014 at 09:47 AM.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Direct Drive

Sorry I didnt pay more attention to what you were doing to save you some time. I am more busy than a retired guy should be, I also own a small web hosting company and do database and back end work.

Ill have to check what I have but I do have some stickers. I have the "mini airboat.com" ones in a few colors and some of the oval ones with the guy in the farmer pants like on my rudders. I don't want to sell the oval ones because they don't last in the weather. I need to find a better source to print those colored ones. Any way I'll send the oval ones free if anyone wants them and the price on the other ones is in the store.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hey Papee; I realize you are a very busy man, and your time is in great demand. You are a wealth of information and have helped me tremendously. Very grateful for your time and knowledge. I do try not to ask too many dumb questions, but if you don't know, you don't know. That is what the forum is about correct; to share information and help each other? Lots of great knowledgeable guys on the site, and that is why I am proud to be a part of it. Just a "Rookie"!
    I will check out the store for the decals; Thanks!
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Direct Drive

Ask away, it also helps others when they run across the threads later on. Right now I have my uncles front fenders here for his 65 GTO restoration getting them ready for paint. I have a little time before the fall bass fishing here gets on a roll. I like the fall best of the fishing season, lots of nice fish and the fight in the colder water is the best.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee:
    Try buildasign.com; I have used them several times. They have good quality and reasonably priced. Check them out.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Direct Drive

Many thanks to Doozit and the Salty Techson; now I have a functional starter with lots of cranking power. Once I mounted the flex plate, I started on the 4x4 aluminum angle mounting plate with the Mercruiser starter. I used structural angle instead of architectural because I thought it would be stronger. As you can see, I had to do some serious notching and rotary filling in order to clear the starter housing. It took a lot of work to get the starter matted to the flex plate, but it works well. After cranking and staring the engine a few times, I noticed the angle plate had some flexing. I will be adding gussets to stiffing things up. The Mercruiser starter spins the engine like a top.
    Last edited by krwsr; 10-30-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Direct Drive

Looks like a nice,neat job there... Did you happen to get the weight of the mercruiser starter ??? Looks like a pretty stout piece...I bet it spins that engine with ease...

Glad to see your back building again. The starter issue definately had me stumped for a while. Glad you got it figured out..looks great.

What is that starter for? Mine is a Mercruiser/Chevy and it has the front nose piece that hold the front of the gear. Mine is larger and heavy but I like the nose support. The one I put on the green boat, Subaru, is like the one you have with no nose support. I'm concerned a bit that the shaft will get worn and not mesh with the flywheel right. We'll see how it lasts, my uncle really use his boat as much as I do.

It is a MERCRUISER MARINE OMC CCW STARTER CRUSADER 30457 {after market}: I forget what the weight is, but I will look it up. It isn't a lightweight for sure. The 9 tooth gear is easy to remove; snap ring holds it on and does have some play in it. Matting the two gears was a little tedious; there is a fine hair between to much and to little. I had to use a dial indicator to make the adjustments .010 at a time. After I finally got it mounted, it looks clean and I have plenty of room around it. The starter has some serious cranking power.

{Special Note:} I used shims between the flex plate and rope pulley to keep surface area flat. Use an end mill [or equal] to spot face the pulley holes to the same depth. "Highly recommended"

[Starter Weight is 10#]
    Last edited by krwsr; 11-27-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Direct Drive

I got my starter re-installed with the gussets added, and I added one more mounting hole. {Much more ridged}
    I also got my gauges mounted to the test stand so I can work on the new intake and carb.

Additionally; added safety stripes to the flex plate.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Direct Drive

Did not want to run engine without the gauges installed to see what it was doing.

"ROCK AND ROLL"
    Last edited by krwsr; 10-25-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Direct Drive

Nice job on the starter mount, it looks really good! I can remember my overwhelming desire to hear my engine run while it was still on the shipping pallet even though it was freezing cold outside.... you just HAVE to do it! Enjoy!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Very neat work on the bracket. Also like the paint skeem on the flywheel.