Thread: Bottom coating

Bottom coating

Anyone have any experience with Quick Slick or any other coating to slick up the bottom on an aluminium hull , oh and longevity of the coating you used.
    Ron

Re: Bottom coating

Can't help with an assessment but I have heard very good things about QuickSlick from some very knowledgable people and I am planning on using it on my hull (fiberglass) after I finish my build.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

I personally like Steel Flex Slickum 2000 or something like that. I just put some on my dads boat and I have it on my hull. Lets just say that that stuff is slick enough that I don't feel safe unhooking my bow ties off my boat until its in the water for fear of it sliding off the trailer lol. Its supposed to have some Teflon in it. My buddies have big motor boats and they swear by it as well and they run dry with there boats when the need arises with no problems. I can get you the actual name if need be. The Quick slick and frog spit I think are another great brand though I have never used them but I think they have similar properties. Application is fairly simple as well. I grind the bottom of my boats to give it a real good grip. Then its simply a 50/50 mix epoxy with about 30-45 min work time depending on temperature. Then a second coat a few hours later and then 24hr cure time. Ill Post a few pics soon on my build thread of how I come out. I put it on today so tomoro Ill take a pic pics and post with the name of the stuff I used

Steve
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

I'm using Gator Glide G2 on the new boat and will be putting it on my hull shortly. I hit a rock ledge and didn't make a mark on it. Same as dooz here, you have to be careful unloading. I can move the boat easily on the grass by hand. search gator glide and watch the videos, he even does a hammer test on a treated piece of aluminum.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

OK guys...I'll bump Ron's thread up to the top...Let's hear the verdict...Are these coatings worth it on a mini ??? I'm a little confused...Is the coating for a little more speed ?? Running over obstacles ?? I don't intend on running dry and I'm sure I can get the boat off the trailer just fine... I don't have a problem with buying a bottom coating if it's really needed but I'll aready be painting the rest of the hull with an epoxy primer ....I'd like to hear from anyone that's run these coatings good or bad...Thanks !!!

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I love the slick bottom that I have on my boats. My buddy's swear by it and they run big bot boats chasing deer through the woods. I don't run rocks. Mainly through Sawgrass and swamps but it slides right on over anything I put my boats through. I feel that it definitely helps slide through the water better. And I can say that every boat down here, and there are A LOT of boats running the glades down here have bottom protection on them. Most car motor boats and glass hulls typical use poly bottoms and then there are quite a few aluminum hulls using poly. But most aluminum hull "grass" boats use slick bottom of some sorts, steel flex, super slick, gator glide, etc. Just my 2 cents. Steve
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

I'm a "Gator glide" guy too.
    I have it on my big jet boat. It is an '03 and never had to re coat it.
    We have it on our Mud boat too wonderful stuff, both aluminum.

Thanks guys... I did'nt think about the grass patches and vegetation when I was thinking about the bottom coating thanks for the insight...I asked Aerokirk directly in his build since he addressed the bottom coating procedure and he's also responded about how well the hull slides over vegetation...That factor alone would be worth the cost and effort ..

I always seem to get myself hung up a few times a year in my old mini {with no bottom coating} in a grass patch or heavy "seaweed" in the water that leads to me getting out and pulling on the anchor rope like a mule...I've read conflicting reports on various bottom coatings with the overall useable timeframe all over the place before a recoat is needed...I'd imagine running dry would take it's toll fast depending on the terrain...But I figured most mini's don't really have the ability to run dry like their big brothers do...And so the reason for the follow-up questions...

It looks like I'll be adding the bottom coating to my build... It's much easier doing it now than to run the boat for a season then need to go back and clean/prep the hull afterwards..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Great topic. I don't plan on using poly on my new hull, but will be using some sort of coating on the bottom. I have to paint it anyway...........

i just joined the group a couple of weeks ago, but where I work, we have been putting Gator Glide on snowblowers and aluminum snow scoops, for the last 3 years, and it makes a big difference, in how much easier it is to remove snow. some years we get over 300 inches of snow, and it is fun to play in,
    trying to upload a picture of what these little snow scoops look like, we will see if it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Bart welcome to the site !!...Pic looks great...Never thought about using the silicon bottom coatings for that application but it sure makes sense...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

there can be alot of applications for these bottom coatings, i visiting with Dave at Gator Glide, about putting this on UHMW. he had this to say
    (Hey Bart, Yeah it will stick to them until you get it pretty hot. When poly heats up it gets oily. But you got to drag it on hard dry ground for awhile to heat it up. I have a lot of kayak guys who use it.)

i am looking at putting this on some of my snowmachine skis and inside of the tunnel, anything that can cut down on the friction, snow & ice buildup on any of our toys, helps out a lot.