Thread: So just what are you doing with your mini ???

So just what are you doing with your mini ???

I can't help but notice the lack of activity on the mini airboat site lately so I checked out this forum topic which looks to me like it was started in 2008 with the latest post in 2011.

I have read each and every forum and thread on this website many times so I know that there are several builds that have gone to completion and it seems like many of the builders stop posting after their boats are operational. I am just beginning a new build and I'm very curious as to what has happened to all the finished projects and especially if there are any thoughts that the builders would like to share as to what worked well and what they would have done differently now that they have put hours on their rigs.

So come on all you guru's ... give us some input !!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Re: So just what are you doing with your mini ???

Ill go ahead and start out here. After I got my rigging on my original build built which started out as a one seater I have since descided and have added a second seat. I use my rig mainly for frogging in the everglades and in doing so I use a very bright high wattage light. After a few hours out in the glades with relatively low rpms I found that my battery would get so low that my tach wouldn't even work due to the low volts. So I have added an alternator to my engine to help compensate for this. I havent had the chance to test this yet for a night run though it seems to work on the trailer quite nicely with very little drag on the motor. On my dads boat we will more then likely be rewinding the stator as you have for the mere simplicity of things. And you are right there really isnt too much activity though the people that do chime in are very knowledgeable.
    Regards Steve
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Well, it's getting to be that time of year here again, not weather-wise of course since they are still driving pickup trucks on our lake (20" of ice), but close enough to Spring when I start to think about taking the airboat out. Today it rained and there was an inch of water on the ice which made me anxious to go for a trial run but I'll wait another month before launching.
    This year I've decided to get into bowfishing as I've been watching YouTube videos and got myself a bowfishing kit for one of my old compound bows. Yeah, I know, I'll be going after garbage fish but we have a raptor center nearby and plenty of gardeners that may want the carp. My only concern is that if I'm on the bow chucking arrows that would mean that my wife would be at the controls and I've never really given her any instruction on low speed maneuvering! Oh well, she's a fast learner (I hope).
    I was fortunate to be at Tractor Supply when they put their LED light bars on clearance so I purchased a 27" bar which I'm planning to mount on the port side of the bow. I already planned for wiring and a instrument panel switch so all I need to do is connect the light. The light bar draws 132 watts which is more than the motor stator puts out (even with the 12volt re-wire that I had done on it) so I'll probable need to either mount another alternator or take my generator along with me for nighttime use.
    Anyway, that's the plan for this Spring.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Well, it's getting to be that time of year here again, not weather-wise of course since they are still driving pickup trucks on our lake (20" of ice),

How come you don't have your boat on the Ice?
    I'm stuck
    My Fabricator is dragging his feet.
    I have the bug motor ready for the drive.
    Temp, tack, oil gauges are on.
    still no hull.
    Soon I hope.

PS the sight sucks for my key board

Well, it's getting to be that time of year here again, not weather-wise of course since they are still driving pickup trucks on our lake (20" of ice),

I've got a fiberglass hull with Quickslick so I'm not convinced that's enough to be sliding on rough ice. When it's smooth I don't have a problem getting out there and playing around but I'm not too anxious to have to repair my bottom.

Waiting, whether for parts or labor is the most frustrating part of any building project...hang in there!

Drop Papee a note and I'm sure he can help with the website quirks you're encountering.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotes-R-Us View Post

How come you don't have your boat on the Ice?
    I'm stuck
    My Fabricator is dragging his feet.
    I have the bug motor ready for the drive.
    Temp, tack, oil gauges are on.
    still no hull.
    Soon I hope.

PS the sight sucks for my key board
    Youre probably using internet explorer if you are having problems. It's not the site it's I.E. You need to set it to compatability mode.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Aerokirk, speaking bowfishing, you are now talking my language! That's what I live to do ��

It's finally summer here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and time to do a little bowfishing for carp with the airboat. Had a great Memorial Day weekend on Little Bay de Noc in Lake Michigan camping and bowfishing. Now if I only knew what to do with the carp ... Gave this one to the bear.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Looks like fun... Doe's it take alot of practice to hit a fish ???Hopefully the bear get to eats far enough from your home that he's not out there waiting with a knife and fork for the next meal...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Another really fun day on the water bow fishing for carp! Lots of shooting and three fish to feed to our bear. I'm still amazed how we can just bushwhack through vegetation and over logs to get to the prey. I have my wife drive and I shoot from a standing position after removing the front seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging