Thread: im air boat stupid

im air boat stupid

Hello everyone i have been hiding in the shadows for awhile. I have read most all the posts in every section and feel that im ready to ask some questions.

Over this summer im going to build a mini this is decided. But im not sure my plan is going to work or what should be changed.
    I plan on using it for bowfishing trapping and fishing plus whatever other use i might feel like. Im hoping it will run dry "ish". Im from iowa so airboats are far and few. I do own a welding shop so fabrication is not a problem. I would build a big airboat but they cost way to much and burn way to much fuel.

The plan
    1/8th aluminum plate
    60 inch wide bottom
    12ft long
    20 inch sides
    40hp 4cycle engine like a kohler or something that parts are easy to get around here.

The questions "this could take awhile"

Is 1/8th plate going to be to heavy?
    Should i polly the bottom of it?
    Should my hull be wider or shorter?
    will it run dry is there anyway to make it run dry? "Bigger motor like a 1.4L?"
    what size of prop will i need?
    Do i need a reduction?
    am i dumb for even thinking this? LoL

any advice help ideas ect will be greatly appreciated. The only thing set in stone is i am building one.

MAA Vendor

Re: im air boat stupid

well dshay you have a good start owning a weld shop ,seams like air boats are a lot of trial and error, 3 years ago I dident know the first think about a air boat and have been learning ever since.now running a 16 ft 15 in side 6 ft wide boat with a stroked 2.0 vw water cooled .and having a 17 ft panther being built with ls power so be carful its addicting.and will be building a mini by next year . some of your questions I can answer are its hard to run dry with small horse power ,its hard with big hp !! definetly a reduction unit will help,its winter here and im re doing my boat for the 6 time ,deck over the back ,weber side drafts more led lighting boat wrap etc. more horse power. great hobby and a lot of fun hope this helps saturn

Ok I just got a hull for my dad that is 10'6" x 7' made of 1/8" aluminum with the back decked over. The weight is roughly 240 lb. My boat is 10'6" x 66" on the bottom in the back with about 12-16" sides and .100 and weighs about 220 lb. Both are riveted boats. If you want to keep the weight down I'd personally stay around 11' with no less then 60" bottom for stability and buoyancy. If your using this boat for fishing id go longer, papee built a real nice fishing rig. Im sure he will chime in soon as far as running dry, weight is the key or more thrust through a reduction drive which will allow a larger prop. I personally live by the keep it simple and go direct drive. Also I just removed the poly off my dads boat and it helped save 60-65 lbs. Unless you plan on running a lot of rocks or sandy areas id say no need for the Polly.

Oh and by the way welcome to the forum
    steve
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by dshay View Post
    Hello everyone i have been hiding in the shadows for awhile. I have read most all the posts in every section and feel that im ready to ask some questions.

Over this summer im going to build a mini this is decided. But im not sure my plan is going to work or what should be changed.
    I plan on using it for bowfishing trapping and fishing plus whatever other use i might feel like. Im hoping it will run dry "ish". Im from iowa so airboats are far and few. I do own a welding shop so fabrication is not a problem. I would build a big airboat but they cost way to much and burn way to much fuel.

The plan
    1/8th aluminum plate
    60 inch wide bottom
    12ft long
    20 inch sides
    40hp 4cycle engine like a kohler or something that parts are easy to get around here.

The questions "this could take awhile"

Is 1/8th plate going to be to heavy?
    1/8 is good that is what I used, mostly the same as yours but mine is 14'
    Should i polly the bottom of it?
    Do not use poly on a low HP engine, it still adds weight especially when you are trying to run dry, use some type of bottom coating.
    Should my hull be wider or shorter?
    Your size sounds good if it fits your needs.Wider is better for running dry but will slow the boat down in the water.
    will it run dry is there anyway to make it run dry? "Bigger motor like a 1.4L?"
    A larger hp lawnmower type engine will run a bit of dry with a reduction drive added but you also pay a good penny for the bigger motors
    what size of prop will i need?
    Prop depends on engine and reduction unit, be sure to plan ahead and angle your gunnels to make sure you have room for the prop and clearance.
    Do i need a reduction?
    You will need a reduction to run dry.
    am i dumb for even thinking this? LoL
    Not at all have fun and welcome to the site!

any advice help ideas ect will be greatly appreciated. The only thing set in stone is i am building one.
    Answers in red, some may have different opinions of course.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA