Thread: Planning a build..... HELP!?

Planning a build..... HELP!?

Planning on building a aluminum deck over hull, and I've pretty much fell in love with the "Scorpy" hull design. I know it would be much easier to go out and purchase a hull but I'd much rather have the experience of building one myself. I was thinking of going with a 10' x 7' + design.

Now for the motor I was looking into the pe90's and 4a084's. Not too familiar as to what the 4a084's run, or how the specs compare up to the pe90 so I was hoping to get some opinions on both of them.

Depending on which motor I go with, which prop would Ideally go with what I'm trying to set up?

The general idea of this build is to have a mini that is quick and could run ground without a hassle.

Re: Planning a build..... HELP!?

Did a lot of research on the 4a084 tonight and it is for sure the choice that I want to go with. Now to find one!

Welcome to the sight. I just found one for my dad on craigslist that was on a 10kw military generator. Do a search that way and you might get lucky. The generator part wasn't working so I was able to get it really cheap and I scrapped the generator part so it was rrreeeeeaaaaalllll cheap lol. Also check ebay as there are deals to be found. Good luck with the build. I also am going to be building a deckover soon as ibcan get funding for my dad.

Again welcome to the site
    Steve
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Doozit20 View Post
    Welcome to the sight. I just found one for my dad on craigslist that was on a 10kw military generator. Do a search that way and you might get lucky. The generator part wasn't working so I was able to get it really cheap and I scrapped the generator part so it was rrreeeeeaaaaalllll cheap lol. Also check ebay as there are deals to be found. Good luck with the build. I also am going to be building a deckover soon as ibcan get funding for my dad.

Again welcome to the site
    Steve
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I was looking around ebay and everything I can find is right around $1000 with out shipping, and I've seen them go for a lot less than that. Just going to keep my eyes peeled. What did yours run you if you dont mind me asking?

You just have to be patient. Try different searches ....military standard engine, a084, military 10k generator "mep-018" I think, on both craigslist and ebay. My dads engine on a "non-power produceing" generator we got for $250 and after stripping the generator down from all the copper and aluminumn housing and scraping it we got $210 back in scrap so he paid all in all $40 for his motor and I still have the 24v starter, bell housing, air filter, electric choke, govenor and flywheel that ill be seling for him tonget even more for him to put toward the aluminum for the hull. So like I said you just have to be in the right place at the right time and there are deals out there so just keep on hunting and searching.

Steve

Hey Janitorsteve08,

I just purchased one on EBay for $600 from username "Savagecat". I received it and it looks to be in (surplus) new condition. I just looked and it appears that he still has 7 units available.

Would any of you happen to know the power difference between the 032 and the 084?

You just have to be patient. Try different searches ....military standard engine, a084, military 10k generator "mep-018" I think, on both craigslist and ebay. My dads engine on a "non-power produceing" generator we got for $250 and after stripping the generator down from all the copper and aluminumn housing and scraping it we got $210 back in scrap so he paid all in all $40 for his motor and I still have the 24v starter, bell housing, air filter, electric choke, govenor and flywheel that ill be seling for him tonget even more for him to put toward the aluminum for the hull. So like I said you just have to be in the right place at the right time and there are deals out there so just keep on hunting and searching.
    Thank you, I'll keep on the search tonight. My goal is to get one for under $500, so the second I find one decently priced that thing is going to be mine!

Quote Originally Posted by aerokirk View Post
    Hey Janitorsteve08,

I just purchased one on EBay for $600 from username "Savagecat". I received it and it looks to be in (surplus) new condition. I just looked and it appears that he still has 7 units available.
    I'll check it out and see if I can find anything from him! Thanks!

As far as power goes I would only be guessing on the 032 at around 20hp maybe but the 084 I'd feel confident in saying that they can get in the 40-45hp range. I just saw a guy on here posted a build of a deckover using the 032 and it seemed like he was pretty happy with what he got out of it. I think I would build me a super mini if I ever happened upon one of those motors for the right price. Oh what part of floruda are you from?

Regards
    Steve

As far as power goes I would only be guessing on the 032 at around 20hp maybe but the 084 I'd feel confident in saying that they can get in the 40-45hp range. I just saw a guy on here posted a build of a deckover using the 032 and it seemed like he was pretty happy with what he got out of it. I think I would build me a super mini if I ever happened upon one of those motors for the right price. Oh what part of floruda are you from?

Regards
    Steve
    Central Florida, Brevard to be specific.

Ok I'm down in broward. Ill keep an eye out for ya down here for an engine.
    Steve

Ok I'm down in broward. Ill keep an eye out for ya down here for an engine.
    Steve
    Thanks a lot Steve! Only about 1 1/2 away.

With the motor narrowed down, I need to completely decide on what I want to do for a hull. The minipro is a pretty awesome design, but I want an aluminum hull and something a little bit wider. Like I stated earlier I want to be able to run dry because that's the only way to get to some of my favorite holes, so would 10x7 be a little much for something like that, or smaller. Ideas?

Remember weight is the key there. My boat has a 66" bottom in the back and a little bit narrower in the front and with steelflex on the bottom I can push dry if I get to moving and my hull is almost empty of fuel and no battery. Having said that momentum is your friend, if I come up to a spot of a patch of sawgrass and there aren't any trees I just stay on the throttle and I just scoot right on through. im in the process as you now in designing another hull and like you it'll be a deckover. it will be a riveted hull and my dimensions will be about 6-8" wider then what I have now and the sides will be lower a little bit. your 10x7 idea I think is a good size for stability just keep in mind that you may lose a little on your top end but should in theory get on plane a little quicker.

steve

Idea for the hull. Fella at the warehouses next door has a 10' jon boat, I was thinking about just cutting the sides off of the boat and welding a sheet of aluminum in between to eliminate the ribs on the bottom as well as widen it up. Ideas?

Ive thought about doing that with a 14 foot boat that I have. The only problem is mine has real bad oxidation so I cant and since I cant weld aluminum I would have just riveted a piece on the bottom. So all in all I would give it a try. I think eastern metals has 5' ad 6' wide aluminum sheets in different lengths that should work out for you. If the boat is cheap enough I'd give it a go, heck a guy on here (I think flathead) did a similar thing with a fiberglass hull so why not.

I would not do the widening deal on the Jon boat. welding the thin material of the Jon boat to a thicker aluminum would be a hard task. If anything I would just replace the whole bottom. Cut the whole bottom off and make it the width you want. Basically just use the sides of it.

The 032 is about 25 hp and the 084 is about 45 hp. Thw 032 is not the motor if you want to run some dry.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Do you know if you are going direct drive or with a redrive.....might be able to help with that engine. Hey Pappee, how have ya been...are ya up in the valley still?
    Harvest in circles

Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    Do you know if you are going direct drive or with a redrive.....might be able to help with that engine. Hey Pappee, how have ya been...are ya up in the valley still?
    Still here in the cold John, we haven't made the move south yet. Same old boat nothing's changed.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA