Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Doozits Second

Doozits Second

Ok all after building my first boat and running it around for a while my dad has decided that he wants me to make him one. So after a little searching we managed to acquire a 084 engine still hooked on the generator for too good of a deal to pass up. So we will going to pick it up tomorrow morning. Im going to attempt to build a boat entirely from scratch and by riveting it. Something I may need though is a hub or I may make one. I am going direct drive like my current setup. I am also going to build a deckover hull per dads request and some minor coaxing from me. So it is going to be a slow build but I will post my progress as I go. I will also post pics of my other build if I can find them on my other phone.

Hope yall enjoy
    Steve
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Re: Doozits Second

Hi Doozit20
    Like you, I'm also just starting on a second build, this time using a 4a084 engine. I have my engine and I'm going to look into a redrive in January when I'm in Florida on vacation. Looking forward to hearing about your boat build ... that's quite an undertaking! We're in the deep freeze here for another 5 months so I've got plenty of time to think about it.

Kirk,
    Let me tell you that you will lobe that engine. They perform very well and can be suprising at the performance they can do. I'm in no rush to build this boat as well but not for the deep freeze reason lol. The hardest part for be will be finding someone to bend the aluminum up but I know a few guys that build airboats so I'm good there just time consuming lol. Ill be posting pics of my other boat as soon as I can figure how to get them on here lol. Ill also post pics as I go along with this project. I look forward to seeing your build as well.
    Steve

Here are some pics of my first build. Here is a pic the day I picked my motor up and my hull.

Last edited by Doozit20; 12-22-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Mock up of how high my motor needs to be and the stand I build out of 1" box

Pics of the jig I made to make the main hoops out of 3/4 conduit and then them mounted on my boat with the motor in place

More rigging pics

Attaching the wire to the cage. What a chore this is. Almost as bad as painting all the wire lol. Also some pics of the hull work with steel flex. Made it super smooth.

Dads putting some sunburst yellow paint on the hull then some hamered grey for the inside and some splatter throughout to really give it that cool factor.

Now for some rudder art. Big paint and many hours went into getting this the way I liked it. I'm very happy the way they came out.

The first float test, then some harley exhaust, and my gas tank.

And finally the reason why I'm building my dad one. That picture was right after I cranked it up and yes he is holding a frog gig and pretending to stick at frogs. And yes after this shot was taken I took it for a spin around the yard. No water at all just fresh cut grass.

What size boat are you planning? I had a full deck on mine at one time but it was just a little too much weight for my direct drive so try to keep the weight down as much as possible.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

My current boat is 10'6"x65 on bottom and 69 on top in the back. I'm thinking lowering the sides a little bit, useing thinner aluminum, and maybe a foot wider. So in theory it should only weigh maybe 40-50 lbd heavier. Just a guess. A buddy drove my boat and he weighs around 350 and it moved him pretty good up on plain with no problems. I'm deffinately going to try my best to figure weight before I mobe forward on this though.

Thanks for the responce papee
    Steve

Doozit, Man.. thanks for taking the time to post your pics! Your youtube video of your 084 powered rig is what prompted me to purchase a 084 and start on my 2nd as well! What kind of RPM you getting out of your current 084 with the 3bld ultra prop? I'm wrestling with the idea of using a reduction unit, but just really love the simplicity and ease of ownership on the direct drive...

Salty thanks for the interest and good words. I'm getting right at 3000-3100 with my rig and its a three blade 59x 10 degree pitch. I have harley exhaust running two to one on both sides of my engine and stock carb. I too wrestled with the reduction delima but like you didn't want the extra headache of the redrive. And I'm pretty happy with the results I've gotten and it quite suprised when I hit the trottle on dry ground and was able to keep it moving lol

Ok all here is the motor we went and picked. Dad don't need to be rope starting it so we are going to figure a way to get a sterter and ring gear to work on this using 12v setup. Ive done some research and a 350 chevy ring gear with 168 teeth is roughly an inch smaller in diameter then the stock flywheel and is about 7lbs lighter then stock. The 24v starter weighs in at about 13 lbs. A mini racing starter for the 350 chevy weighs 7.5 lbs and is in the budget so that may be a viable option. I'm thinking we will use the steel hub from the existing flywheel to make a hub and to mount the chevy flexplate to. Yes I know watch the weight. But I'd rather have dad with the ease of pushing a button rather then pulling a rope. Its guna be a process....a long one to build this but that's all the fun in these minis so I'm not worried and pops ain't in a hurry either so it'll draw the fun out even more

Doozit.. very cool. What starter setup you running on your 084? or is it manual/rope start? I started tinkering with my 084 today... also strugglin with what to do with the DC system, including starter. For now I cut back the shroud/flywheel housing to try and lighten it up streamline the look a little, but still hold the factory 24v starter.. I hate the 13lbs of weight and the 24vs of the factory stuff, but man.. I also hate to take off and trash stuff that is brand new.. right now hoping to figure out a way to fab a hub that will bolt up to the factory flywheel... sort of like the ones available through Saturn Surplus for the 4A032.

Salty.. on my boat I'm using the basic rope start and I have a regulator rectifier from a kohler engine to keep the battery charged. On my dads boat we are going to try to figure out how to mount a 350 chevy flexplate and starter so that its 12 volts. The stock flywheel weighs around 14 lbs and is about 15 1/2" in diameter and like you found out the starter weighs 13 lbs. I think I read that a 350 flexplate with the 168 teeth is around 14" and weighs 7 1/2 lbs and a mini racing starter weighs 7 1/2 lbs. The stock flywheel alsonhas fins which blow air forward so it will act against the prop. Also as the hub goes I will be taking the aluminum off the stock flywheel and using the steel insert that is molded in it. Just have to do very little machining to get the flexplate mounted to it and a bolt pattern drilled in it. This of course is all in experimenting so I have not tried it yet so this as far as I know will be the first statter of this nature that I'm aware of.

Steve

Ok here is a short update of my second build. Only thing to update it that I have the engine stripped down and we are starting to plan out a starter setup to make it easier for pops to crank it. I also happened to find some Harley exhaust pipes. I also scrapped the generator part and managed to get quite a bit back tom put towards the aluminum hull. Ill also compose a materials list and cost at the end of the build just to give the do it yourselfers out there an idea of costs.

Updates to come
    steve