Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: aerokirk's build

Re: aerokirk's build

The carb does have adjustments, the top screw on the side, the big one is your idle screw. The adjustment screw on the linkage arm is not the idle screw, it is choke adjustment. The smaller screw on the side below the idle screw is the fuel adjustment. There is also and adjustment for the accelerator pump, you just loosen the screw on the arm and move it one way or another depending on your needs. I really don't think this carb needs any rejetting but you can drill out the jet a little to help. I'll have to find the size bit, there is a video out there of a guy rebuilding a carb that mentions this, I'll have to find it and report back.

Sounds like you're ok with the muffler.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I went sliding up a relatively fast moving river today with a passenger and discovered that when the engine is pushed hard it begins to loose power at WOT. This happens fairly quickly so I'm quite sure it's not carburetor ice and I noticed that my cht running too high so I believe I'll need to go to a larger high speed jet. The engine seems to be running lean at these rpms and after reading quite a few technical articles on the Solex I've learned that it is common for them to run lean at high speed. Tomorrow I'll check locally and see if anyone has jets in stock. I'll remove the stock one and see what size it is in the morning.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Are you loosing power meaning you have power then lose it or its just not gaining? It hard to troubleshoot at times when not being there to see it. As a pilot a assume you've looked past it being a push problem from the prop passing its efficiency and are pointing at the carb. I'm just finding it hard to believe that with this bigger carb it is still running out of gas. What rpm were you noticing this problem?

the reason I mention this is that on the score buggy with the same carb and running higher rpms I had no problems with gas.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Ted I noticed the same problem with my vbelt reduction with stock carb and passed it off as belt slippage. With my new cog belt reduction I thought this problem was solved but it still persisted but only when I had the second person onboard. For some reason it was losing power and would not stay on plane. That's why I'm thinking about increasing my hull length.

A fuel pressure gauge might tell a different story...The VW fuel pump looks to be much bigger than the 084{all three designs during the solex era}.. The 084 pump might not be keeping up with the demand for some reason...

The 084 has a pretty stout fuel pump on it. Remember these things are designed to run at a constant 3600 rpm.

I think im haveing a similar issue with the 30/31 I have right now. Where it gains rpms but then as you get to about full throttle I loose rpms. Almost like if the butterfly tips back past full throttle and starts to close back up. Im going to do a simple experiment tomorrow hopefully. What im going to do is simply have my engine at the point where im getting the stumble then im going to partially block the intake with my hand and see if it picks up again. Im doing this to create more vacuum in the carb in hopes to see if its starving for fuel. I foumd this out with an outboard engine one time where it would fall on its face just over 1/4 throttle. I put my hand slowly over the intake finding that sweet spot until it gained rpm amd worked the way it is supposed to. Then a simple drill to make the main jet larger and problem solved.

To my knowledge there are several jets in these carbs. Theres a pilot jet, idle jet, main and I think an air correction jet. I think that the air correction jet kickes in when the rpms get higher up so im not sure we need ti worry about that one as its function is to lean out the engine at the higher rpms. The idle and main are the two more important to our needs. Oh the jet numbers are in mm. A 55 idle jet is actually .55 mm I think. A 125 main will be 1.25 mm drill. Some simple calculations and you can drill out the jets a little at a time. I believe its something like 2 percent fuel mixture increase from say 125 to 130.

Check this website out

http://www.vw-resource.com/jets.html
    Last edited by Doozit20; 09-14-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

The biggest change I've seen in this carb is when I put too small of an air cleaner on it. It really affected my top end.

All good ideas and worth checking out. The prop is not the issue as it's turning well within it's efficiency curve but the engine does sound like it's running lean and the high cht seems to confirm it since it's higher than it was with the stock carb. I'll start by running it without the air cleaner and then try a larger main jet. The power is there at first but then begins to wain so it's conceivable that it could also be a float level setting. We'll try one thing at a time and see.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Anybody hear from Ted on his carb tune?

Still waiting for the new jet to arrive Nick ... coming from CA by pony express I think. Haven't run the engine in several days as I'm wiring up my nav lights and installing a Kolpin gun boot. Getting ready for duck season!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

I installed the 130 jet and the top end seems to be improved as it no longer looses rpms gradually like it did with the 127.5 jet. I went through the published procedure to adjust idle mixture and it idles pretty good but there seems to be a hesitancy at the 1500 rpm point and I believe it may be running a bit rich at the low end so I may try to re-adjust it before changing the idle jet. I have definitely picked up at least a few horsepower now as I can get it on plane in deep water with two adults.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Ted are you at sea level?

Quote Originally Posted by eskimoboy View Post
    ted are you at sea level?
    1200'msl
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Could the hesitation maybe be from the accelerator pump adjustement?
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Ted this is part of what I read from this site;http://www.vw-resource.com/jets.html

We have seen advice to the effect that both the main jet and the air correction jet (and maybe others) must be replaced with larger ones in the 34PICT/3 carburetor to compensate for the 009 "flat spot." This is not correct. The air correction jet must be SMALLER to enrichen the mixture. Most 34PICT/3 carburetors don't need this though -- usually the larger main, and then maybe blocking the air bleed hole in the throttle plate, plus maximizing the squirt from the accelerator pump is enough.

lots of info on the solex carb.

Thanks ... same resource I'm using. Lots of things to try before changing jets. I would recommend running it in different temperatures and weather conditions before making any changes.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Adjusting your carb at idle should take care of that hesitation. I had some and adjusted, it works fine now.

My solution to my air filter hold down screw vibrating out last week .... safety wire everything!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

It's been quite awhile since I've posted and that's due to the very long winter here in Upper Michigan ... the boat has been in my storage building but now it's time to start getting it ready for the upcoming Spring. I plan to disassemble everything so I can turn the hull over and add QuickSlick to it. The other reason for turning the hull over is to repair the damage that I incurred while screwing off on ice and running into the neighbor's dock . I also need to change out the output shaft seal on the 084 since the original is leaking oil and send my propeller back to Whirlwind to repair the ding that occurred when hit by a 3/4" nut that vibrated off my reducer. The final job is to paint my aluminum rudders and try my hand at airbrushing a design on them along with the name we've finally decided on for the boat. My wife and I have kicked around several names but after my crash on ice, the only logical name for the boat is "Reckless" which is more for the driver than the boat .
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging