Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: aerokirk's build

Re: aerokirk's build

[QUOTE=aerokirk;3127ow much wil it cost for the completthing more boring than watching paint dry It's supposed to get down to 33 degrees tonight so I'll be a little slow getting it on tomorrow. Papee, did you add an extension to the bottom of your throttle lever on your carb to give it more travel? It doesn't seem to me that there's enough compared to the longer travel of the gas pedal.[/QUOTE]

Hey Papee how much of an HP increase do you think you gained with the new Solex set-up, and how much will it cost to purchase this complete unit from you.

PMd you Nick.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Areokirk Eskimoboy is running the same setup you have. I think he may even have a similar hull.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hi Nick... good to see you back on here again! I haven't communicated with you since I called you right after you received your Circle-S reducer. Have you finished your boat yet, and if so, how do you like the re-drive? My boat has been a real pleasure to drive. The only problem I've had so far is my tensioning bolt vibrating out and hitting the prop. They forgot to put a locknut on the bolt when they delivered it to me and I didn't realize it was supposed to be there. How about posting an update on your build?
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

I'm sure he will, he just ordered an intake and I gave him the links for the carb and filter I used.

You have done an awesome job with your build real professional, there are buddies of mine that would love that boat. The mukini didn't work out for me but im hoping the VW carb will, guess your just about ready to test yours. Ill be watching for the video and would love to se some closeup pics of how you installed it. Spoke with Papee tonight and hes gonna set me up with his new carb build I,m getting anxious already. Havent had any problems with the redrive but my hull bottom is in need of repairs rode really hard on the ice this spring.

Hello Nick I'm Corky...I hope Aerokirk does'nt mind but I have to ask...What did'nt work out with the mikuni carb ??? I've read all the old threads and was impressed with the video showing the 4-in-1 header and that carb...I've often wondered how this set-up was working out for you...

I talked to Nick about the carb, he just said that he couldn't get it tuned in. It didn't work as well as the stock carb as far as rpm so he put the stock carb back on. My guess is that it wasn't big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Hello Nick I'm Corky...I hope Aerokirk does'nt mind but I have to ask...What did'nt work out with the mikuni carb ??? I've read all the old threads and was impressed with the video showing the 4-in-1 header and that carb...I've often wondered how this set-up was working out for you...

Hi Corky nice to meet you. The problem that I had was tuning the carb, swaping out so many jets trying to make the thing run as efficient as possible got to be to much for me. I know some other guys had good luck with it but I think y
    ou have to be mechanically inclined.

Currently in the process of connecting the Solex carb to the 084 and I took a few pictures to show clearances from the Circle-S starter. The install is going really well and i should have it complete by the end of the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Looks like plenty of clearance. Im interested and seeing the difference between the stock carb and the new solex with the reduction drive. Hope you have more pitch you can add
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

You may want to change those spring clamps out for some good hose clamps. I put a bracket on one of the intakes to the original post but it really doesn't help much for vibration because it's just a piece of 1/4" aluminum. The hose clamps may help keep the intake more secure than the clamps. You'll just have to make that decision once it's running I guess.

I had to replace some of those rubber couplers because they were cracked from the weather.

Thanks for the follow-up on the mikuni papee and Nick...With that info on hand it looks like the solex is turning out to be the better choice for the out of the box performance...And cheaper too....

Aerokirk the carb and intake looks awesome on there and your air cleaner will be up high enough to catch the breeze rushing by...I was wondering how the height would be with the circle S framework...
    So there was some parts {locknut}missing off your tensioner ??? Good to hear that's all it was and an easy enough fix to the problem...

After considerable head scratching as to how to re-route the throttle cable and support the new carburetor I believe I've come up with a simple, light weight solution to both using one 6" piece of 1/8" x 2" aluminum angle using the threaded hole and stud already in the crankcase. I guess the best way to describe it is in pictures.

The caburetor support is a piece of 1/8" x 1" steel strap that I twisted 90 deg and attached to the front stud of the carburetor. The carb and spider are extremely rigid now.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by aerokirk; 09-12-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Good thinking that's what I was after, some way to do it using existing mounting points. I have pretty much the same setup with the cable and cable bracket.

You had to have it running if you are that close?

Not yet Papee ... still need to wire up the carb .... ran out of daylight and it's COLD up here! Tomorrow is the day ... I'll probably dream about it again like I did last night. That's when most of my ideas happen
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

You and me both. I have a hard time shutting down at night thinking about what I have to do the next day and constant what if thoughts.

You guys are killing me........ Papee can you make me that bracket that Aerokirk has invented for his carb set-up?

I can put one in the box Nick but I'll just drill the mounting holes to the engine. You'll have to drill the others once you have it for the cable bracket just in case ours are slightly different.

Once you bolt the angle to the engine case and are ready to drill the holes for the throttle cable bracket make sure that you manually place the choke in the "full off" position so the carb's throttle lever is in it's full closed position, otherwise you may find that your cable positioning will not allow the throttle to go to the full closed position.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging