Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: aerokirk's build

Re: aerokirk's build

I've been researching prices for stainless steel tubing with the hopes of using it for my build instead of EMT conduit. Initially, I was disappointed to find internet prices in the range of $50 - $90 per 20 foot length, however, I just found a local source in the $29/20' price range. I believe that this is probably worth it in the long run as I won't have to worry about corrosion for a long long time. The sizes that I'm looking at using are 1/2" OD x 18ga round 304 stainless and 3/4" x 16ga square 304 stainless tubing for the longerons. I'm trying to guess just how much round tubing I'll need for my build and I'm guessing that 100" will be sufficient.

Can those of you who've already built your cages give me an idea as to how much you used on your build? I am planning for a 67" prop and two tandem seats.

Thanks!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

If I had to guess I would say I used 150 ft between the rigging and the cage. I got 200ft total and have 3 sticks left. This is from my last build on the tank II.

Sent by note on a brick
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I ordered my stainless steel today so I'll be ready to start the metalwork when the weather starts cooperating. It's been subzero here for the last several weeks and the last couple of days we've had temps in the 30's so I'm finally able to get out and size things up. Ordered 140 feet of 1/2" SS tube, 20 feet of 1" SS square tube, 20 feet of 1/8" x 1 1/2" SS strap and 200 feet of 1/8" SS wire. Hoping that's enough!

Today I finally had a chance to try starting the 084 before I begin removing all the non-essential parts. After bodgering a temporary muffler connection and hooking up two 12v batteries in series I jumpered the solenoid and after a brief crank it fired right up and ran smoothly (much to my amazement and joy). It took quite awhile for it to smoke out all the preservative that has been in it since it was manufactured. I've now started stripping it down and removed the stock alternator stator to be rewound to 12V. Now I'm really getting anxious for Spring!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

They are definitely one smooth running motor, I couldn't believe it when I first started mine.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Sent my stator coil out to Hank for rewiring to 12V and I'll be ordering a 67" Whirlwind Razor X propeller tomorrow. Still below zero here so can't do much else yet.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

http://miniairboatassoc.com/forum/sh...hlight=airfoil

Here's that thread about the airfoil rudder. Page 4. Really nice design
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Received my new Whirlwind propeller and picked up all the stainless steel today. I'm really impressed with the look and feel of the propeller ... hope it performs as good as it looks! Now I've got to paint the 084 and attach the reducer and prop so I can get some accurate measurements. Come on Spring, where are you?
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

More progress ...
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Damn kirk thats looking real nice. That prop has to push some air. Looks to good not to lol.
    Steve

Your photos were just a little too big so the forum software rotated them. The biggest they can be is 800x800, I resized them and edited your post.

Another snow storm here again today but thanks to a heated garage I'm able to begin building the rigging. I can't weld the stainless yet since the supplier is out of tri-gas mix for my mig welder so I'm positioning the engine mounts instead.

I got my stator back from Hank after he modified it and it's back on the engine so now I've got a 12V charging source. I also purchased a 1/2" tubing bender for the stainless tubing and a Harbor Freight tubing roller. It feels good to actually get started on my build ... it's been a long winter!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Looking good. I like how you made an out of hull template for building. I would imagine its a lot easier to weld that high up rather then having to crawl around inside the boat. I know its around here somewhere but van you reference me to where hands number is so I can get in touch with him on rewinding my dads stator. Also what did that end up costing? Keep up the good work.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Doozit20 View Post
    Looking good. I like how you made an out of hull template for building. I would imagine its a lot easier to weld that high up rather then having to crawl around inside the boat. I know its around here somewhere but van you reference me to where hands number is so I can get in touch with him on rewinding my dads stator. Also what did that end up costing? Keep up the good work.
    Steve
    Steve ... I sent you a PM on this ... Ted

Despite two snowstorms and sub-zero nighttime temps this week, I was able to start welding up the stainless rigging. Not being able to work outside has created a rather cluttered work space as you can see by the photos. I did make one small miscalculation however, by ordering 1/2" stainless tubing instead of 5/8" but I think it will work OK with a little extra bracing. I made the engine support legs out of 3/4" just to make sure. I also picked up a used Harbor Freight tubing roller and upgraded it with Swag Off-Road dies and hydraulic pump so I am looking forward to rolling the propeller hoops! ok ... I know ... I didn't really need that to complete the build but what the heck, it will come in handy for my other projects
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Thats looking good. I really like the looks of those seats. I think 1/2 stainless will work great with proper bracketing.

More progress today! Pretty soon I'll be able to sit in it and make airboat noises!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

After looking at the motor stand I'd think I'd add a little more braceing somehow. You said that's 1/2 stainless? Then again a lot of people are making them out of 1/2 emt so I guess stainless will be stronger. really like how its coming along. and yeah sitting up there making those sounds is perfectly normal so if/when the neighbors look at you a little funny, simply smile and wave

Keep up the nice work
    Steve

is the tubing 1/2" ID or OD? Very cool... great work!!!

The tubing is 1/2" OD. If you're planning on using stainless steel like I did then I would recommend using 5/8" tubing instead. I assumed that the 1/2" would be the same size as 1/2" EMT but it isn't. The EMT is actually larger than 1/2" on the OD and when I picked up the stainless I was surprised at how small it looked comparatively. At that point it was too late to return it and I'm using it for most of the structure except for the engine supports where I went with 3/4" 16ga stainless instead.

I've also upsized to 5/8" tubing for some of the other supports for the rudder and engine cross braces. The 1/2" IS very strong and will work great with the proper trussing and also gives you a bit of weight savings so I guess I'm glad I ordered it.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

cool deal... you using a wire feed for all the stainless welds? What wire you using for your wire feed welder? What gas? I have the same welder and debating between going with ss or aluminum for my 084 project.