Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: aerokirk's build

Re: aerokirk's build

Corky,
    I got the aluminum for my rudders from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. I purchased a 4' x 6' piece of .025" 2024 T3. This was exactly enough to produce the two 4' rudders. The .025" is what most aircraft control surfaces are made from and it provides enough rigidity while keeping it light. The foam cores are really nothing more than fill material and don't add much to structural strength but do keep the aluminum from vibrating/warping. I used aluminum channel for center support and 1/4" aluminum plate for the top and bottom ribs (no center ribs).

I am very pleased with my rudders ... they are very effective and light. I guess the only thing I might change if I were to make another pair would be to make them slightly narrower. Mine are 4' high by 23" wide and that was based on the sheet size of my aluminum (it was cut into 4 pieces and there was no waste). I think that 18" to 20" width would be more than enough to control the boat but I would stick to the 4' height as it's working well and looks good.

I've got my rudders off right now for painting and I'm considering using chameleon on them for a cool color shift effect.

Ted
    Last edited by aerokirk; 03-27-2015 at 08:28 AM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

The airboat has now been reassembled, the new battery box is finished, the prop and cage are back on and I installed an electric anchor which can be controlled from the drivers seat. I just finished spraying the rudders with zinc chromate primer in preparation for top coat color ... yes, it was a very productive day today! I'm going to have to slow myself down or I'll have it all finished and ready for the water long before there's any thawed water around here.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by aerokirk; 03-28-2015 at 08:28 PM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

I know its around somewhere but how thick are your rudders?
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

The vertical aluminum channel (see the vertical rivet line) is 1" x 2" with the 2" being the width which is the widest part.

Here's a photo of the profile ... the welds are on a 1/16" x 3/4" angle which is welded to the 1/4" end rib so there's a flange to rivet to on the upper sides.
    Last edited by aerokirk; 03-28-2015 at 09:47 PM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Ok I think I gotcha. And just pop rivets on the top and bottom?

Yes, all pop rivets ... I found that by making cuts every inch on one side of the top aluminum angle it helps it to follow the profile as you weld it to the top. I didn't put foam or rivets in the front skin since it is quite rigid due to it's shape ... I just riveted it to the channel.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Mounted my electric anchor winch onto the front deck and ran wire back to the control panel so I can actuate it from my seat ... the front passenger can also run it from the switch on the winch itself. I got the pontoon boat model on super sale last Fall but the only problem is that it's designed for mounting on a flat deck so I had to weld up an aluminum pedestal for it.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Very nice. Looks like she ought to back up and ready for fishing real soon. Looks like you got a small crack on your top deck on the left side bow??

Nice,clean install...Just curious I have'nt seen the specs on one of those power anchor winches what's the gauge wire you needed to run for that ??? Just trying to figure out how big of a through-hull wiring hole I need for my build for future toys...thank you...

Doozit ... that white mark on the gunnel is where I hit the steel pipe on my neighbors dock last winter. That was all the damage to the fiberglass except for two narrow gouges on the bottom where the dock pipe scraped. It's all been re-glassed and stronger than before (just haven't painted it yet). If you look closely you can see the piece of inner bumper rail that I had to replace. Marty Bray sent me enough outer rubber to go completely around the boat so I didn't have to splice that. He's a great person!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Corky ... I believe that the power wires are 10 gauge but I'll have to check when I see the boat next. Enough comes with the winch to run back to the battery as well as a circuit breaker. The remote anchor switch and wire are accessories. I was able to run all my wiring through a 1/2" plastic conduit to the bow. That's including front nav light (2 wires), two extra 14ga wires (for future LED lights), winch power wires (2 wires) and the control cable for the winch remote control.
    Last edited by aerokirk; 04-05-2015 at 08:15 PM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

My winch came with the remote. You have a choice with the one I have, either mount the switch on the winch or mount it remotely. They give you enough wire to do either.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

OK thanks for the updates...I should have plenty of room to run the wiring in the gunnel and out my access holes...

Ok I thoight that was the damage from your ice capade deal lol. As long as its not major itll be fine. And yeah I thoighybit looked like it had some resin in it.

Supper Job! The electric anchor makes all the deference in the world. It looks like the crash cleaned up pretty well. Are you going to pad your battery case to stop the erosion from the vibration?
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

I welded up an aluminum bottom frame to contain the battery box and keep it off the floor of the boat ... also ordered a paint kit for the rudders today. It consists of black base paint, a quart of Chameleon color change paint and a quart of clearcoat. I'm hoping the chameleon will really complete the look I've wanted as the color shift should appear to go from a dark blue to a violet hue.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Today was the day I've been waiting for for many months .... the last task before launching the airboat for another season. The task was to paint the rudders and the weather cooperated nicely. This is my first attempt at spraying chameleon and it went pretty good except for a bit of a patterning problem with my gun (evident by slight streaking lines).

In a related development, today the ice began to breakup on our lake and the timing couldn't have been better ... tomorrow's the maiden voyage for the year! Yay!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Wow Ted I really like your paint choice !! Just those 2 pics show the light shimmer affect... I can't wait to see them on the boat...Glad to hear spring is pushing it's way through up there...

I agree the paint looks great! Our big lake is just starting to open up as well but the smaller ones are still locked up with only a little around the shore thawed. C'mon Spring!!

Well, we tried several launch sites at area rivers and lakes but there was too much snow on the access roads so I opted to try the boat on the lake we live on which is about 1/4 open water (north side) and thick ice (south side). This video shows how much fun that can be ... sorry Corky ... I know you're getting anxious to finish yours and this may add fuel to your fire

http://youtu.be/0wYhzDHTfbU
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging