Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314

Thread: aerokirk's build

Re: aerokirk's build

Thanks for the update Ted...I'm going to call whirlwind and express my concerns with running the flawed,substandard hub parts...It seems like a timebomb waiting to happen.....If need be I'll purchase the new hub set but knowing the customer service they'll probably swap mine out...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I just received my seat cushions from Lynn's Stitch Shop and they look great! I took a quick pic to share but I haven't had a chance to properly install them yet so it's not the best pic but I'll post more later. Actually, I've made several improvements to the boat so I'll get another walk-around inspection video to share soon
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Wow, that's a great looking seat !!! They'll make a nice addition to your boat...Lynn's does some excellent work that upholstery should last for years...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Seats cushions installed! As it turns out, the blue sides really compliment the blue cameleon rudders. Great quality workmanship from Lynn.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

It sure does !! Nice choice...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

We've been enjoying the airboat this Spring and now that bowfishing season is here we're out on Lake Michigan chucking arrows. I posted a short video of our trip back to the launch site across the deep water. I apologize for the shaky forward looking camera as I had it on a flexible mount.

https://youtu.be/SA2Pnmwdfrc
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

You know, seeing you two enjoying your boat always puts a smile on my face I really like your build...Thanks for sharing the videos...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Thanks Corky,

We're anxiously awaiting your sea trials also .... hope you're getting close to making that maiden voyage!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Let the air boating season begin in the north! Some water,some ice
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

More videos. I love your videos and the main reason i bought the boat i have now. Mine is like yours except no stainless cage and seat stand. I do have three blade razor. Been so busy not had it out yet.

Sent from my SM-G935VC using Tapatalk
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Hi Ted,
    Now that I'm up and running I have my circle S tensioner tied up and out of the way...You've been running yours much longer than I have and I was wondering if you've experienced any accelerated wear on the belt from running that way ??? I see they now make a Gates polychain with a blue teflon layer for the cogs now.. I'm assuming it's a step up from our standard polychain belt that came with the redrive...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Hi Corky,
    It's been a while since I've posted on this site. I am still running my mini quite frequently in the summer months. I have over 500 hours on it now and have had no issues with the engine or reducer since tying back the tensioner. The belt is still in good shape. I am in the process of purchasing a 1.4L Ecotec turbo engine for my next build as the 084 doesn't provide enough push for two adults onboard.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Quote Originally Posted by aerokirk View Post
    Hi Corky,
    It's been a while since I've posted on this site. I am still running my mini quite frequently in the summer months. I have over 500 hours on it now and have had no issues with the engine or reducer since tying back the tensioner. The belt is still in good shape. I am in the process of purchasing a 1.4L Ecotec turbo engine for my next build as the 084 doesn't provide enough push for two adults onboard.
    That is just a few hours. Glad you have been having fun with it.. with you picking up a 1.4 Ecotec, that will be a big jump. 10 to 1 compression, and triple the hp at 5,600rpm. what gear ratio are you thinking of using?
    I am putting in the final stages of getting my 084 finished up. I am almost wishing I had an stock motor to compare this with, a gentle man has an SDS EFi system on a 084, and is saying he has noticed an 20 percent increase in the thrust. so it will be interesting to finally see what this motor will do in a few months, when spring melt starts...
    It will be fun to see how your next build goes.

hi aerokirk glad to hear you haven't had any problems in 500 hrs. Wow i don't have nothing close on mine and have had a number of problems. Nothing i couldn't fix but it keeps me busy. That new build sounds like a great idea. I'm sure that will give you enough power for 2 people than some. Those ecotec engines are a power house. Just be careful and safe out there.

Thanks bgmcl60,
    My boat has been a real hoot to run and we've had a lot of fun with it but just need a bit more push as we normally run in deep water up here. Dak10's boat is a real screamer and he's seems very pleased with it so I think that's the way to go. Performance and fuel efficiency. The biggest problem is going to be tuning the ecotec for standalone operation...that may prove to be a nightmare.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    That is just a few hours. Glad you have been having fun with it.. with you picking up a 1.4 Ecotec, that will be a big jump. 10 to 1 compression, and triple the hp at 5,600rpm. what gear ratio are you thinking of using?
    I am putting in the final stages of getting my 084 finished up. I am almost wishing I had an stock motor to compare this with, a gentle man has an SDS EFi system on a 084, and is saying he has noticed an 20 percent increase in the thrust. so it will be interesting to finally see what this motor will do in a few months, when spring melt starts...
    It will be fun to see how your next build goes.
    Hi Bart,
    I'm planning to use a century drive 2:1 at this point but still researching. I was following the threads on upgrading the 084 to EFI but my fear was the ever-present limiting factor of those engines when it comes to cylinder head temps. I just thought I'd go liquid cooled.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Hi Bart,
    I'm planning to use a century drive 2:1 at this point but still researching. I was following the threads on upgrading the 084 to EFI but my fear was the ever-present limiting factor of those engines when it comes to cylinder head temps. I just thought I'd go liquid cooled.
    I think you will have a lot of fun with the Ecotec motor, I hope that the century drive or a prsu will fit up to the motor. that would make things real simple.. If not it would not take much to make an adapter plate.

You are correct about the cylinder head temps. last summer after I did the fan drive on the front, with the shrouds, for cooling the head temps. I have about 30 to 40 hours on the motor, just testing different things on it. put a prop on it after a while. to see how it would load up. But all in all, the cylinder head temps never have gone over 350 degrees. at least that I have been able to document. Even though in the motor specs it states the head temps can run up to 450, that just makes me cringe...I have read to many articles on how the higher temps or heat stress weaken the aluminum head.
    so maybe, this will give me some wiggle room.

the only other mod I may do at least for 1 or 2 cylinders is to get the head and piston ceramic coated. just to see what that does.
    If after this summer, things are still running smooth, I might add a AMR500 compressor and see what 5lbs of boost will do. and if I can keep the head temps in check..

Just for a note, changing these motors from a mag & carb to electronic ignition & fuel injection. Has been a good learning curve. as you can look at my threads. a lot of trial and error, and finally this spring / summer I should have it out on the water.
    is it really going to make a big enough difference, and the returns outweigh the time and cost involved. probably not.
    but I did this to learn. and that I have.
    between learning the electronic side, and how simple it can be, just to be able to pick up a DIY board, put in the parameters, and to hear the motor run, I did a Happy Dance, big time... then fabricating 99 percent of the parts I needed for this mod. This is what I really have enjoyed doing.

Didn't mean to start rambling, on your thread. Can't wait and see what you come up with..

Good to hear from you Bart! I been busy and haven't kept up with all the great research you and others have done on going EFI on the 084. I'll sit down and review your thread to get up to speed with all that's happening. Haven't gotten my ecotec engine yet as the seller experienced a blood clot in his leg and hasn't been able to get to it to take off the transmission, but he is saving it for me and I'll pick it up when we get back from Florida in April. I'm thinking I'll purchase the HP Tuners MPVI2 module so I can eventually do my own tuning. I'm going to stop in and see Marty Bray while I'm down there and check in on his new Rivermaster 12'x7' hand laid hull. My boat is only 6'wide and I'll be swinging a 72" propeller and with all the extra weight of the liquid cooled engine I'm thinking I will most likely need a bigger displacement boat. We've still got 20" of ice on all the lakes here so I've got some time to think it over.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Good to hear from you Bart! I been busy and haven't kept up with all the great research you and others have done on going EFI on the 084. I'll sit down and review your thread to get up to speed with all that's happening. Haven't gotten my ecotec engine yet as the seller experienced a blood clot in his leg and hasn't been able to get to it to take off the transmission, but he is saving it for me and I'll pick it up when we get back from Florida in April. I'm thinking I'll purchase the HP Tuners MPVI2 module so I can eventually do my own tuning. I'm going to stop in and see Marty Bray while I'm down there and check in on his new Rivermaster 12'x7' hand laid hull. My boat is only 6'wide and I'll be swinging a 72" propeller and with all the extra weight of the liquid cooled engine I'm thinking I will most likely need a bigger displacement boat. We've still got 20" of ice on all the lakes here so I've got some time to think it over.
    sounds like you are getting things in order and figured out.
    If you take time to go through my threads on the EFI to the 084 motor, if you have questions, or if I might not be clear on something. Please ask for me to clarify it. I still have a lot to learn on the subject, right now I am making modification to my board to accept more input sensors. like the fuel & oil pressure, fuel & oil temp, & another head temp. it is the little things that can make a difference. I am finding out that having the board know what the fuel temp is, can make a difference on the fuel delivery.
    to some it might be overboard on sensors and inputs. But if I want my motor to run at its optimum. it is always the little things that can make the biggest changes.
    Yes this speeduino is a DIY system, and there is a lot of leg work that I need to figure out and do on my own. But it is great to see the modifications that the main contributors are adding every 3 to 5 months to the code, and still trying to keep the price within reason.
    I hope that you will share with us your process of this next build.