Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: aerokirk's build

aerokirk's build

Officially began my second mini build with receipt of my new surplus 4a084 engine. Let the fun begin!

Re: aerokirk's build

Lets see some pics!

I've been looking for pics of my first mini but I disassembled it about two years ago and have lost most pics in a computer hard drive crash so I only have a few "old style" pics which I need to digitize before posting. So far, I've only just received my 4a084 so nothing to show yet!

Do you have any pics of your Circle S drive yet?

These are the only pics I could resurrect from my first mini build... circa 1979. I used this rig successfully for about 30 years. Lost all current pics in a computer hard drive crash (no backups)
    Attached Images Attached Images     

That's a nice rig there. I'd maybe try a little wider boat for stability if you can. It will also help to plane you out better I think.
    Regards Steve
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Stopped to see Chuck today and purchased a Circle S reduction drive and motor mounts. Now it's time to look at getting some aluminum.
    Last edited by aerokirk; 01-05-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aerokirk View Post
    These are the only pics I could resurrect from my first mini build... circa 1979. I used this rig successfully for about 30 years. Lost all current pics in a computer hard drive crash (no backups)
    That's pretty much what I started the mini thing with. I had a few before that, a clamp on was my first around 1971-72 then I moved to a VW powered 16 ft wooden boat. Next was a wooden boat with a 18hp then to one like in your photos, it was a 14' Sears with a swivel mount pedestal motor that I hooked a stick to instead of the tiller steer. It was a 8 hp and the first boat that planed. It was a super thin boat and very light, I always had trouble with the hull at the bottom of the transom rubbing through and leaking.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Stopped to see Chuck today and purchased a Circle S reduction drive and motor mounts. Now it's time to look at getting some aluminum.
    Could you take a shot of the rear of it please? Where it hooks to the engine.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

What kind of motor mounts did Chuck sell you? The ones circle s sent me weigh a ton. They would be adequate for a big block in a full size airboat! Chuck told me they just use conduit that is flared out a bit.

aewrigh .. Chuck does indeed use flared conduit on the mounts however he was out of stock on those so he sold me the heavier duty (i.e. thicker) tubes which take the same rubber inserts as the lighter ones. I was happy with that since the thicker ones should allow a better weld. I am attaching a couple of pics to show you what they look like.

Papee ... Here's a couple of photos of the input end of the redrive

Those still look super light duty compared to what circle s sent me. Mine probably weigh 2 lbs apiece at least. Look at the pics on my build forum!

Ordered a MiniPro 116 hull which will be built before the end of January so I can pick it up on our way back to Michigan from Daytona Beach. I was able to locate a double jetski trailer which I am picking up today so I have time to modify it and install new wheel bearings. I've now successfully blown my build budget by a significant amount, not to mention breaking my promise to my wife not buy anything until I've sold some of my other toys. I'm sure she will seek retribution of some sort
    Last edited by aerokirk; 01-09-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Drove to Live Oak, FL today to pick out colors for the boat build and glad I did because after seeing the boats in his yard I changed my mind (actually my wife changed my mind) on the original colors that I chose. I must say that I agree with her choice and as a side benefit, I think I actually got some "buy in" from her on my project, in fact, she even suggested that I have custom seats and an instrument panel box made along with the boat! Now that's progress!!!

Finished redesigning my newly acquired double jetski trailer to accept the airboat hull that I am picking up tomorrow. Stopping off at Marty Bray's in Live Oak, FL to pick up the boat that he has built for me on my way back to Michigan. !!!

Let the fun begin! IF you get over my way on the way home give me a shout and I'll meet somewhere for lunch/dinner/breakfast. I would imagine you aren;t coming anywhere near 81 though.

Got back to Michigan's U.P. with the new hull after a 24 hour drive from Florida. Went through a snow storm in Chicago and by the time I got home the boat was covered in slush and salt (arrghh)! Marty really does a nice build job and the boat looks great.

Here are some photos of the boat along with a couple of my other project, my ATV snowblower, which I had to use to get back into my driveway as two feet of snow had fallen since I left. Sorry I couldn't stop to say Hi Papee as we didn't go home via that route.

Nice looking boat and snowblower lol. I've always thought it'd be fun to run an airboat in the snow but none of that down here lol. Keep us posted on progress
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Got back to Michigan's U.P. with the new hull after a 24 hour drive from Florida. Went through a snow storm in Chicago and by the time I got home the boat was covered in slush and salt (arrghh)! Marty really does a nice build job and the boat looks great.

Here are some photos of the boat along with a couple of my other project, my ATV snowblower, which I had to use to get back into my driveway as two feet of snow had fallen since I left. Sorry I couldn't stop to say Hi Papee as we didn't go home via that route.
    I figured you would be taking a more western route. We've had a few storm here lately too. I gave up on the snow blower because of getting the snow shower every time I used it and went with a plow on my UTV.

Called Hank in the twin cities area today regarding the rewinding of the stock alternator stator on my 084. He is definitely the person to talk to if you are planning to modify yours to 12V. I'm convinced that this is the way to go instead of running a belt drive version since it would save in weight and complexity while still being able to have a decent amperage output. Are any of you builders running one of his conversions on yours? I understand that he did one on buster's engine but it was sold shortly thereafter. What are your thoughts Dave?