Thread: Mini Hull for PPG back pack motor

I live in Centurion, Gauteng province South Africa

Mini Hull for PPG back pack motor

I am getting started on a 10' x 5' Aluminium hull designed to exept a powered para glider drive. I ordered the material today including
    5mm HDPE for the bottom the pictures is a 1:10 scale model, hope to get started a.s.p.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by peterCAPitALL; 11-09-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Re: Mini Hull for PPG back pack motor

Good luck, it's a lot of fun.
    I'm not sure of your experience in welding aluminum but here's something I've discovered while working on my build. I start out pulling my weld to get some heat in the material then switch to pushing the puddle. It's worked out great for me. Pulling it looks to be cold and lots of soot but it sure does make it easy to weld pushing the bead once there is some heat there. Looking forward to seeing some photos! What are the specs on the motor? I'm sure that will be a great little hull for you.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Only minimal welding on the front bottom, rest of the boat will be riveted. The motors for Powered Para Gliders (PPG)
    range from around 15 hp. to around 30 hp. My last, (first Airboat after Hovercraft's) was very basic 13' x 5' 9" riveted
    with a Rotax 503 ( 50 hp.) motor.

after waiting for 4 weeks on the engineering shop to do the cutting and bending I am now ready to start assembling my boat I will try and post some pictures tomorrow.

As said here is some pictures note the tool for putting in the curve on the stringers as the engineering could not do it, all the spaces between the stringers will be filled with 50 mm (2 in) urethane foam.

Close, only the rudders to complete, waiting for the end caps to be done, and the poly to be screwed on to the bottom.

Close, only the rudders to complete, waiting for the end caps to be done, and the poly to be screwed on to the bottom.

why did you decide to use poly vs. some other bottom coating? How heavy is that 5mm? How much?

just about the only option in S.A is U.H.D.P.E or H.D.P.E (I noticed in the US. its M.W instead of "D") it's < 8 kg. (17.5 lb.) H.D is good for this light boat total wight only 125 kg. (275 lb.) cost 1000 Z.A.R. = 100 U.S.D.

I tact it together to show to my friend from "Airboat Afrika" in order to put the rudders together without the aluminium end caps I made timber ones, worked until 3 am Sunday morning, now I have to strip down again to get the poly on. If I can get the rudder caps done this week I can go sliding this weekend.

Just a update on the boat, I have been hard at work to get all done in time for my big ride with Chris of Airboat Afrika with his 16 ft. scorpion on Sunday 24th. Some facts, in S.A. one don't need to licence a boat of 3 meters (10 ft) and < 15 hp. I'm running a Herth f 36. (Solo 210) motor std. 14.9 hp. with tuned exhaust it gives > 18 hp. with a 1150 mm. (45 in.) x 32 in. wooden Prop. I never did get my aluminium rudder caps done but as I have decided to replace the rudders at a later stage with 1 mm. instead of .5 mm. aluminium I will live with the timber ones for now.

Nice looking boat. Congrats on the build.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Out playing with the big boys November 24, very windy and choppy even the big boat had a hard time in to the wind. My boat ran good given the conditions even come out on the grass, I think I would be able to set it up for different conditions by tilting the motor slightly back and forth.

Nice photos, that thing sure does look "mini" next to that barge.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I came across a thrust test that was done 2003 on the same motor and propeller as mine it was given as 115 pounds,.
    Still no pictures taken of my mini on the water hope to get some on Sunday. Here are some pictures of the boat on the
    trailer I made for it.

Riding and Sliding January 26 2014, I have 10 kg. (29 lb.) removable ballast up front so it would run well with two up.

Looks like it is working good from looking at the photos. Great job! Isn't it the best when you finally get to get some water under you after all the work. I still giggle to myself when I'm out and I've had my last big changes 5-6 years ago.