Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Project The Tank II (The Frog)

Re: Project The Tank II

The engine rotates counter clockwise looking at the prop but this is not important with the ultra prop. They can push in either rotation by reversing the pitch blocks.

Doz, I use 030 wire with a 035 tip. I never use flux core for anything it's just not worth the trouble. When welding the conduit you have to use the tac tac tac method to prevent burn through.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Yeah just call and tell them what your using the engine for and tell them its counter rotation when standing behind the boat.

Thanks papee ill give that a try when I get to working on my next engine stand. Im thinking ill use 3/4" conduit for that and 1/2" everywhere else.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Papee, What decisions do you need to make for engine and operator location with regards to center of gravity? I agree with you, performance on the water is much more important.
    Kenneth

Ok before I start this I just want to say everything in this post is my opinion and others opinion may differ.

First, some say that having part of your prop below the transom doesn't hurt the performance. My opinion on this is keep all the prop above the transom. You need every bit of push you can get. This statement comes from the big boys where they are dealing with a lot of engine weight up high on the boat. We don't have this problem with the weight of our small motors so keep all your prop above the transom. The prop should also be at least 3" in front of the transom. This pretty well dictates where everything else will be.

As far as the center of the leverage point of the hull, your gas tank and battery can be moved around to balance this most times without the need to move your rigging forward.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee, I am definitely going to install an oil cooler. Do you have a photo of how it is plumbed in? Also, where did you find your foot throttle and linkage?
    Kenneth
    Project "Swamp Fox"
    Hull: 12' x 6' x 18" All welded aluminum
    Motor: 4A084-4 Continental NOS / OEM Carb
    Direct Drive
    Prop: 52" 3 Blade

This boat is now for sale due to his health. I'll be bringing it home shortly for a repaint. it's pretty much the same other than my intake and a VW CARB. He also put on an auto anchor winch. PM for price.

sorry to hear that his health is not doing so well, hope he can get back on the mend. i couldn't tell you how many times that i have scanned and looked at this build in just that last couple of years. you did good job on the boat.