Thread: Update on my other "hobby".

Update on my other "hobby".

Guess I start a new thread since this thing seems to have found a home. I had planned on fixing it up some and selling it but the itch needs scratchin so I'm keeping it.

As some of you know, I use to race obstacle course with my modified Toyota 4x4 for many years. I gave it up when I had all the knee surgeries. I found this thing and it made that itch need some scratching again. I'll be racing some of the same races I did before but now I've gotten into the short course stuff similar to the Lucas racing series. After talking to Chuck on the phone today I decided to post a few photos of my finished project.

It is a VW powered racer built for short course racing. The first photo is what it looked like the day I picked it up. The others are photos I took today of the finished product. Well not finished but race ready for some of the races. I still need to do a few other things to it to pass technical inspection for some of the other tracks I will be competing at later on. Because of my blood clots I've had to find a substitute driver for now until I'm off the blood thinners. It's going to be hard watching someone else race the thing after I've put so much time in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Re: Update on my other "hobby".

More. I've found a new hot rod shop and very good motor guy so hopefully a new engine setup is in the future. I have a lot of hours in this thing, reworking the frame, adding more chassis protection, motor work, completely redoing the suspension. I hope racing it is as much fun as building it has been. Some of it has been a pain but very enjoyable for the most part. If only I were rich, I would change a lot more.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hey Papee,

You sure got that lookin' sharp compared to what you started with! I wish I was up to building and driving
    buggys like I used to. Sure brings back some memories

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

It sure isn't easy to get in at my age, It's a lot easier to get out than in. LOL

I did put a quick disconnect on the steering wheel which makes it a lot easier.

I've got an old homemade loader tractor like that, remember the AEID (airboat engine installation device)? Main problem is my buddy built it originally for his height, about 5'6", Then I end up trying to funnel my 6'2" frame into it. I've made some mods, but there is only so much you can do without starting from scratch!

LOL I do remember it. According to the rules that opening can't be any bigger than 24". It makes it hard for us "full framed" guys.

I think you were right on about the age thing. A year or so ago I tried to get into a "Manx" buggy. I got half way in and that was all she wrote! Forty years ago I used to do that every day no problem, but my body no longer bends like it used to.

The only problem I have is my knees, they just don't move as well as they use to after all the "repairs". Those things like mine are built for short people, I have my seat as low as it will go and with a helmet on I don't have much headroom. I wish I had thought about it before I added the two extra bars up there. I could have changed them a bit and made more room.