Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: aewrigh's build

Re: aewrigh's build

I have right at 4k into it. But ill let it go for 3500.

That'd be great if I didn't already have a hull, 2 engines, a prop, and basically everything else I need to build one......just need my reduction unit. I already bought the starter that works with it too so I don't want to settle for an arrow prop reduction and have to figure out another way to start it

Thats fine. If I don't sell it I will finish it.

Cut my jig down to account for the spring-back...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Here are my new hoops. What do you guys think?

Nice job, I don't see any kinks and the jig you made is also nice. I thought about making a better jig but it's just another thing laying around so I went quick and easy. I know I'll wish I had made a better one and saved it next time I need to bend some hoops. I need a bigger garage, I'm just running out of room.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I was able to do a bit more today:

I ended up cutting the hoops the wrong length and didn't check before I welded......my prop is 66 inches so my hoops should be 69 inches tall. I was going to do 70 to be safe but ended up marking my line on the wrong side of the flat strap I used as a guide I guess. So......should I cut them off (only tacked on basically) and shorten them, or should I just leave it alone?

Well being the perfectionist I am, I cut the hoops down 2 inches so I think it looks better now but maybe it's in my head. They stand 69.5 inches on the underside of the conduit. I also tacked in my front hoop. The lower seat stand is still just sitting there as I haven't decided on height yet. I am thinking 14 inches to keep c.o.g. as low as possible. The drivers seat will be another 14 inches or so up higher. Need an opinion on one thing though......should I integrate the motor stand into my cage or should it be separate? I know if I tie the two together it will be that much stronger and it would also be easy to unbolt and lift the entire rigging out......BUT.......If I build them separate, I can lift my cage and seat stand out to work on the motor if I had to. Opinions welcomed. Here are some more pics:

And one more:

looking good!
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Worked for another hour or two tonight:
    Last edited by aewrigh; 10-11-2013 at 10:55 PM.

No opinions on the motor stand? Also, I was thinking about going ahead and running the pieces to the front hoop now......just wondering if I should make them straight, or put a bend in them towards the back? Or maybe I should just wait to get the motor in it and start working on the seat stand...

Also, I have 11 supports between the two main hoops....Would it be too many to run this many pieces to the front hoop? I notice most of you guys have a lot less....

I started cutting bars to finish the cage and I started electrical taping them into place. I was going to evenly space them on the front u-shaped hoop but it made all of the bars slanting downward at a steep angle. I didn't really like the look. Going to try something else. How do you guys go about spacing them? They will be evenly spaced on the main hoops.

I didn't see any engine stand. I would wait until you know where the motor is going to sit before running the bars to the main hoop. As far as number , it's up to you but the extra weight does make a difference. I have the stand about done and the two hoops in but I'm waiting on the the motor before doing mine. I am also putting tabs on the main hoop so the cage can be taken off separate. As far as the bends go, I just think the bends look better and adds some personality to the boat. Straight pieces make it look like you didn't have the skills or correct equipment to do the work.

As far as spacing, I plan the hoop braces to be aligned with the bars that continue to the main hoop so it looks symetrical.

I currently have my engine hoisted above the boat roughly where it is going to sit. And by the measurements the machine shop gave me on the reduction unit I have plenty of room for the motor and room for adjustment in any direction. I don't think it will hurt to go ahead with the cage with the room I have. And as far as the opinion on the bends, well it is what it is: just an opinion. To me, the bends look good I agree, but you only really need them if your main hoops don't give you enough room for the prop or if you only run one main hoop as opposed to two. My main hoops are spaced apart a good ways to allow forward/backwards adjustment of where the motor sits. The bends would make them a bit weaker in structure I am sure but not enough to make a difference I guess. Doesn't take high dollar equipment to achieve the results as I borrowed a conduit bender from work. And for the spacing, I will have them spaced so that they run directly into the runners between the main hoops. I was questioning the spacing on the front, u-shaped hoop. If you weld them equidistant on the u-shaped hoop, then you come up with some hard core downward slants to your bars between the hoops which, after mocking them into place, I really didn't like the look of at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    I didn't see any engine stand. I would wait until you know where the motor is going to sit before running the bars to the main hoop. As far as number , it's up to you but the extra weight does make a difference. I have the stand about done and the two hoops in but I'm waiting on the the motor before doing mine. I am also putting tabs on the main hoop so the cage can be taken off separate. As far as the bends go, I just think the bends look better and adds some personality to the boat. Straight pieces make it look like you didn't have the skills or correct equipment to do the work.

As far as spacing, I plan the hoop braces to be aligned with the bars that continue to the main hoop so it looks symetrical.

I agree completely, what one likes someone else may not like. It's your boat build it the way you want. As far as the main hoop, I forget what engine you are using but on mine I positioned the hoop so the front pulley stuck out just in case I had to wrap a rope and start it by hand which came in handy because my starter/gen gave out and I'm starting mine by hand now until I get a new setup figured out. Who is making your reduction drive?

Forum Reader

Re: Okay so it begins.....need all the suggestions/help I can get.

mite know where one is for 450

Re: Okay so it begins.....need all the suggestions/help I can get.

what? a reduction drive? Circle S said that mine will be ready to ship to me in a day or two. Sent the check. Now more waiting.