Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: aewrigh's build

Re: aewrigh's build

Think one would be too heavy for my hull? Seems like I could ensure running dry with more hp

A friend of mine has a VW on his boat and I can run rings around him. A VW is heavier than a 084 and has a little more HP. I run a Score Class 9 offroad buggy with air cooled VW, they can be made fast but There are way better choices out there for the money. Reductions are also hard to find for them. When you build a mini HP is a big thing, you can only expect so much out of a mini. Myself I see no need to go to a bigger motor and use more gas. I use my boat a lot, if it cost more to run I couldn't afford to run it as often as I do.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

hmm....I didn't know for sure how much hp you could get out of the bug engines. What is the max out of an 084? 45 hp?

Aewrigh im with Papee on this one, the 084 is cheap to buy, very reliable, easy and cheap to repair, fuel consumption is awesome........mines averages 10mpg.
    I think the 084 could be bumped from 45hp to 60-70hp with just modifying the intake and exhaust. If there was some way to get my engine dyno tested I would, maybe Dan (Bandit) will dyno his to see what increase in HP he gained from modifying his intake.
    Nick

Yea too bad someone didn't do some thrust tests, I guess mine would be the closet to stock with just Chucks headers on it. I'll have to try to find a scale and tie my boat to a tree. I think there are some thrust pulls videos around by the aircraft guys though.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

My boat builder wants me to send him pics of one of your mini hulls......he asked me how wide most were.....I told him 72 inch bottoms....if he will give me a good enough deal and I could sell my whole boat, I will still consider a new hull just for more room

anybody know how fast dans will run?

I know it runs dry because I have seen youtube videos of it climbing wooden ramps from water hole to water hole. Will it run on sand or mud or grass though?

If you plan on running dry at great distances in mud and alot, I think your gonna need a bigger horse.

sorry meant to say mud and sand alot

Not for long distances.....possibly just from hole to hole of water. And being able to.park it dry then take off from a stop

Chuck has been running dry with his setup maybe you should fire some questions his way.

He doesn't reply on here and I work during the day and really never have time to talk on the phone.

during day business hours anyhow

what size rudders can I get away with for a 66 inch prop. I want to go ahead and get them cut out

also, if the pieces of smooth aluminum I have aren't quite big enough, could get away with using diamond plate for the rudders without negative side effect?

You could but I'm pretty sure Aluminum is cheaper than diamond plate. I paid $40 for my flat rudders cut to shape. I forget the size but they are about 36 x 20 in.

okay I went and picked up my 2 engines.....is there any information anywhere on how and what to tear down on these things? I am still waiting on an invoice from chuck for a reduction unit, headers, intake, motor mounts and rubbers. I also ordered my prop today.

hopefully going to buy some materials to start building my rigging this week. I have an idea of building everything as one piece cage and all except for the motor stand which will slide to the front and back to give me a few inches of adjustment both ways. Are you guys finding 20 foot pieces of emt for the main hoops or butt-welding two sticks together?

I used 3/4 for my main hoop but you could do the same with 1/2".

I used all 10' sticks, what I did was just cut a short piece of the conduit about 4" long then put a cut in it length wise. I was able to get it inside using it as a sleeve to make the joint stronger. I did this on the straight sections on the ends not at the arch.