Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: aewrigh's build

Re: Okay so it begins.....need all the suggestions/help I can get.

I don't mind the extra money if it is going to be that much better. I don't see how any cogged belt design would be slipping though unless there is flex in the unit. Chuck made it sound like I would have to go buy a starter for a Dodge Caravan? Will this bolt right up to his reduction unit somewhere or what?

I'm using a v belt reduction now my new cog belt will be on the way soon. the starter bolts on to the reduction.

Here it is again if you missed it the first time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RslIuJx2uk4

arrowprop has a cogged version

The one that I have from Arrow Prop is a V Belt reduction

I saw the starter in the video the second time! Thanks eskimoboy

Quote Originally Posted by aewrigh View Post
    I don't mind the extra money if it is going to be that much better. I don't see how any cogged belt design would be slipping though unless there is flex in the unit. Chuck made it sound like I would have to go buy a starter for a Dodge Caravan? Will this bolt right up to his reduction unit somewhere or what?
    You'll have to check with Chuck on the reduction questions, I haven't talked to him for a while. All I know is that the starter is integrated with reduction and solves a big problem with starting these motors.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Looks like you (aewrigh) have come to a conclusion with your hull. Actually I think that little hull will do you some good justice. I have to say that Nick and Papee are some people that you and I need to stay in touch with. You will be surprised I am sure. Good luck aewrigh. I hope this endeavor really works out for you. It sounds like your boat is going to be a kick in the pants to operate. Have fun with it.

I have a much better direction to head towards anyways. What is wrong with the starters that come with these motors besides being 24 volts? I could have it re-wound for 12v. Or I could run a 24v trolling motor and I could start my motor off of that 24 volt bank. Then I wouldn't have that 44 lb additon of reduction and that would almost make up for the extra trolling motor battery. I need lots of trolling motor thrust to keep up with current in rivers while bowfishing. I do appreciate all of the help from everybody....now I just need to sell my mud motor!!!!!!

As far as I knw there is nothing wrong other than they are 24 v and would most likely cost as much as a new starter to get rewound. Using the stock starter would also involve using the stock bell and flywheel which adds more weight. The stock 24v charging system can be modified to 12 volts cheap. There are threads on it here somehwere. I think you will find it either under Busters build or in the 084 forum.

I had been running a trolling motor but decided to take it off. I figure I have a prop that is not in the water to move around scaring the fish less so why run one. It did come in handy a few times when I broke down and and mishap with a tree. Adding an extra battery also adds weight. Be very aware of the weight you are adding to the boat, it really adds up quick.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

That is one of my dillemmas.....I don't want to add steering and throttle to the front and have to tie it all in so in order to bowfish without a trolling motor, I would have to drive while a buddy fished, then swap out every so often. At the minimum, I will run a 55lb thrust 12 volt trolling motor so that two guys can fish on the front deck when the situation warrants that. I could run that 12 volt trolling motor and use it as my starting battery as well. But then you have that 44 lb reduction. I wonder if that reductions weight is about what you would lose by taking the stock starter and flywheel off. Like you said Papee, a backup way of propulsion is always nice to know you have at least.

BTW I have ran across a brand new 52 inch arrowprop wood prop that they guy told me was built for a 35 vanguard.....It is too small for me but he said he would take 150 for it.

BTW I have ran across a brand new 52 inch arrowprop wood prop that they guy told me was built for a 35 vanguard.....It is too small for me but he said he would take 150 for it.
    That is what I run, does it have leading edge protection? What is the pitch? I am interested if it has the protection and it is the right pitch.

That is one of my dillemmas.....I don't want to add steering and throttle to the front and have to tie it all in so in order to bowfish without a trolling motor, I would have to drive while a buddy fished, then swap out every so often. At the minimum, I will run a 55lb thrust 12 volt trolling motor so that two guys can fish on the front deck when the situation warrants that. I could run that 12 volt trolling motor and use it as my starting battery as well. But then you have that 44 lb reduction. I wonder if that reductions weight is about what you would lose by taking the stock starter and flywheel off. Like you said Papee, a backup way of propulsion is always nice to know you have at least.
    I had a 42 lb 12v one with foot steer on my boat and it took my boat anywhere on the river here even some pretty swift stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/3644592290.html Here is the link to that prop. It doesn't look like it has leading edge protection.

Thanks, I'm only interested in one with protection. I have moved the thread here to the Builds forum so you can continue once you get some parts together. Thanks for sharing.

aewrigh, if you are looking to sell that mud motor. Go to mudmotortalk.com and post it there. It's a big site and someone is always looking for a mud motor.

Re: aewrigh's build

No, I wish I had that kind of coin though....but seriously, does anybody pursue the use of the vw engines?

Re: aewrigh's build

No, I wish I had that kind of coin though....but seriously, does anybody pursue the use of the vw engines?
    There are lots of guys that use VW's. Although I know none of them personally they are out there.