Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: aewrigh's build

Re: Okay so it begins.....need all the suggestions/help I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by aewrigh View Post
    Okay so what is the optimum hull width going to be for a 12 foot boat with the 4a084? I talked to my builder today about quoting me a 12x6 in the traditional airboat design. I also talked to the guy with the engines and he said they were rebuilt by the military and preserved. I have talked him into 650 for two of them. Is this a good deal?
    After much consideration aewrigh, you may want to try your hull first. Problem is with my thinking I am on the aircraft side of things. I am as close to a mini as you can get without my boat being a mini. Papee is speaking from experience, and I have to say, if the man weighs 250 lbs and he is getting good performance with his boat, take his advice about the hull. As far as for the engines, that sounds like a real good deal to me. But, get with papee on that one. I have no experience with those engines. I like my lycomings for some odd reason.

Papee I agree with you on the length, on the other hand I think it all depends on the style of hull that your using. I have one of Marty's 11.5x6.5 fiberglass hulls that weights 230lbs and is quite strong for its weight. I think this hull would be even better at 13.5 ft long and 6.5 feet wide if your planning on boating with your buddy or spouse and some gear. The 2 extra feet would probably add an extra 50lbs so the hull would be around 280lbs. My brother-in-law will be using my hull as a mould to do what I just explained with a 084 for an engine.
    Nick

My son and I on the North West River, skip the first 40 secs its kinda blurry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aif9TVvUN1U

Quote Originally Posted by kajunoutlaw View Post
    Papee, you are speaking from experience and I can't argue with that. I tend to forget that I will be running an aircraft engine. But, I was taking into consideration him being able to run a little longer prop. But then again, even at 4'6" wide, he can still run a prop 50" prop. Shucks, my bad.
    Hey these are just my opinions some are proven some not. His bottom is 4'6" then chines, and slanted gunwhales, he can run about a 66" prop according to the info he gave above.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by eskimoboy View Post
    Papee I agree with you on the length, on the other hand I think it all depends on the style of hull that your using. I have one of Marty's 11.5x6.5 fiberglass hulls that weights 230lbs and is quite strong for its weight. I think this hull would be even better at 13.5 ft long and 6.5 feet wide if your planning on boating with your buddy or spouse and some gear. The 2 extra feet would probably add an extra 50lbs so the hull would be around 280lbs. My brother-in-law will be using my hull as a mould to do what I just explained with a 084 for an engine.
    Nick
    With length you are really just adding weight to the boat. If your boat is set up right you will normally run with the same amount of hull in the water when on plane. My boat really doesn't run much different now at 13ft 8 than it did at 15ft 9 before I cut some of the length off. I have between 4-5 ft in length of boat in the water which I would guess is pretty much what you have. The difference is that my boat is not as wide so I have less square footage of wetted surface causing drag.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Correction on my boat bottom....It is 54 inches the whole way. I just got off of the phone with Chuck. He said that he was getting several of the new reductions built but they are 3-4 weeks out. I guess I will go with a 084, cogged reduction, and a 66" ivo prop. He believed that I would possibly be able to run dry. Papee, is 650 for two rebuilt 084-3's a good deal?

Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimoboy View Post
    Thats a pass good deal bye.

Keep the information coming and we will show them together!
    Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    As you see, I march to the beat of a different drummer, I think that hull is perfect. I'm not sure what you mean by example #1, we are putting less than half the weight about the same height as bigger boats so I don't think the cog comes into play here at all, I have a 5ft bottom and I can stand on the back edge of my boat and bounce on it at 250lbs and I can't dip it in the water.

As far as #2 this is true but you can also go too far, the added width of a boat also adds drag when trying to push it over the top(the point just before getting on plane). Once you are on plane the less contact area to the water the faster your boat will be. His hull is wider at the point where it pushes over the top helping it get on plane.

#3 This is also true but more info is needed, while that area helps you when running dry it can also be a hindrance on the water. The more sq footage there is touching the water the more drag you have slowing the boat down. Think about it, we are asking a motor with a lot less HP and thrust to do the same job as the big motors using these wide hulls. I would not expect a hull the same size as a big boat to perform the same with a lot less hp and thrust.

I would love to have that hull to show exactly what can be done . Unfortunately my wallet does not support my wants. There is a new boat out now that has a design almost what he has but has a step and it is working very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by aewrigh View Post
    Correction on my boat bottom....It is 54 inches the whole way. I just got off of the phone with Chuck. He said that he was getting several of the new reductions built but they are 3-4 weeks out. I guess I will go with a 084, cogged reduction, and a 66" ivo prop. He believed that I would possibly be able to run dry. Papee, is 650 for two rebuilt 084-3's a good deal?
    Not sure what "rebuilt" means, totally rebuilt or just part. Sure it's a good deal, not a great deal but it is OK as long as they are running and don't need anything. With the new reduction and prop Chuck has available, his headers, and a new carb setup you'd be there. I am working on the dual carb setup right now but I'm not sure if I'll have all the info out on it or have someone that will make the intakes needed for the dual carbs I'm using. I should be pulling my boat in the garage in about two weeks to start mounting my new setup and testing shortly after. This setup uses two mule carbs with accelerator pumps made for the 2 cyl army mule so they should be perfect for the 084.

I seem to have parts lined out except I didn't account for a carb change. Keep me updated!

As far as being rebuilt, I am not sure. Here are some pics he sent me today:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

What about arrowprop's reduction unit for the 084? It is about half the cost of the one that Chuck is having built...

also, I read the the ivo prop wasn't the best prop for running dry as there is too much flex? What do you guys think?

Last couple of questions for the day hopefully: Are you guys splicing two 10 foot sticks of emt together to make your main hoops on the cage? And where are you having them bent?

Aewrigh I'm using a 3 blade 68in Ivo and my top speed in deep water was 35mph no wind. I'm currently using Arrow Props v-belt reduction and it works fine although I do have some slipping issues due to belt wear, Chuck just supplied me with the new cog belt reduction. As far as the carb change your best bet would be to contact Dan from Dan's build for he swaped the stock carb for the 42mm mukini and new plenum design. Dan told me that he didn't feel he gained 20hp but he did gain more power and was really satisfied with the change, contact Dan he has some videos before and after the change. Chuck copied Dan's design for my new engine also.I also spoke to another fellow by the name of Link who had a 4 in 1 exhaust which he felt increased his engine power and i've opted to try this on my new engine also.
    Nick
    Last edited by eskimoboy; 03-27-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Ok I figured that arrowprop's reduction was a v-belt unit.....they didn't have a picture but noticed the vanguard reduction unit above it had a cogged belt. I wonder why they don't have a cogged one for the 084? I noticed you had a light weight fiberglass hull or so it appeared? I need to weigh my hull....Chuck said as long as it is under 300 I should be good on running dry. You are happy with the IVO prop though? If a stiffer prop would give me more thrust I would be interested......I need all the help I can get it sounds like with my hull.

Just ran across a forum that had a cogged belt reduction from arrowprop. If their unit is only 699 for a cogged belt reduction vs. the one Chuck offers at 1350, I am afraid I would have to go with the cheaper one. It appears that the one Chuck offers is a bunch of thick aluminum......looks like the arrowprop reduction would be a lighter-weight unit by a ways.

What is the ratio of the reduction that Chuck offers?

I think Nick is running the Arrow prop cogged version now and is changing to the new design that Chuck has. Less slippage with the new version and you have the starter included I believe. I'm not sure of the ratio of the new unit but I know he has adjusted/changed it to better suit the 084.

This is what Dan had to say about the new intake on the Southern Airboat site.
    Preliminary results:
    Old set up: max rpm 2700 with 8 deg. Pitch at 21 mph going with the wind.

New set up : max rpm 4900 rpm with 10 deg. Pitch at 32 mph going into the wind.

I'm going to put more pitch so max rpm will be at 3600.
    That should get me over the dike.

I think around 1.65-1 reduction.

Aewrigh i'm not worried about the extra 20lbs? for the new reduction knowing I won't loose power when I need it due to slippage. Which has happened to me on a few occasions. Besides with that new intake i'm not worried about the extra weight on my new non slip reduction.