Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: aewrigh's build

Re: aewrigh's build

I placed my Faria oil temperature sensor and pressure sender in a Tee at the original pressure sender location above the oil filter which worked well, however, I also questioned whether the oil temperature sender should be located in the oil pan.

After a year of running I relocated the temperature sender into one of the drain plugs in the oil pan....the result - very little difference in the oil temperature readings when running so I don't believe it makes much of a difference where you locate it.

I eliminated the low oil shutdown switch as I have an oil pressure gauge in clear sight when running so I didn't feel it was necessary. It's original use in a generator application would have been important since there would be no one monitoring pressure.
    Last edited by aerokirk; 03-05-2016 at 08:31 AM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

That makes sense and was along my line of thinking as well. Thanks for the input!

More progress....only got to mess with it one day this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

last pic is where I added sleeves where the rudder pivot rod goes through the rudder supports. maybe I am being anal about things but I don't want water getting inside and rusting it out. no weak spots in the pipe from the holes anymore anyways at the least!

Excellent, not only does the sleeve keep out the moisture but adds the structural integrity back into the tubing...I like those gauges I've looked at those and thought the 4-in-1 gauge was an appealing unit and the diamond plate console is a nice touch...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

The diamond plate tool box was quick and easy. I didn't however think things would be so crowded. That is the reason for the weird assymetrical layout. The latch was in the way, had to notch out the lip at the top for one of the gauges so the lid would still open. I still have a 2-switch panel coming for 8 switches total. Installed a lanyard kill switch today and a 12v receptacle. I fired up my engine tonight and I have bad news!!!!! 4 oil leaks! 2 minor and 2 major. Pressure switch leaking....minor. Filter leaking, minor. Minor leak but major problem is where the pickup tube has rubbed a small hole in the oil pan. Doesn't really drip oil but isn't good either. Then the one I don't know how to fix is one of the pushrod tubes at the valve cover. How is that fixed? My solution for the evening was to pull out my other engine and start stripping it down. Both were remanufactured in 1986. What are the chances both will have all the same issues?!?! I will try to post a video at work.

The pushrod tubes are taken out by removing the rocker arm. There is a spring attached to the rocker arm that holds the tube in place. It's an easy job. I have a bunch of O rings here for the tubes if you need some. You have to boil the orings a bit before installing them, same when using a gasket out of the kit. These new old stock gasket kits have been on a shelf for years and need help. I just put them in a cup of water and microwave them a bit. I really don't use the valve cover gaskets from the kits, I make new ones out of cork gasket material.

Also, Walmart has a neat little setup for power, it has a 12v cig plug and a usb plug.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Here is the video as promised. The starter turns this thing over nicely with a good bolted connection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYb_mUmPDok
    Last edited by aewrigh; 03-08-2016 at 08:41 AM.

Hey guys, I have a few questions that have popped up. First, I remember bringing this back up earlier in this thread about having a hole in my oil pan where the pickup tube lays in it....I didn't see much if any of a leak coming from there but when I ran my motor in that video above, I had several other oil leaks. I then began tearing down my other "overhauled" engine and guess what?! It is ten times worse in the same spot!!! Please tell me the pickup tube is cast into these pans and that all I am seeing is the thin aluminum flashing on the outside of the casting coming off. Here are some photos of both of my motors and the problem area:

Next question, as far as my pushrod tube oil leak, I am going to post a couple of pictures. Is the seal back in the head where you can't see it once the tube is inserted? I can spin the tubes by hand on both motors with them assembled.

Last question for the day is for the guys who have hand-laid their cage wire. About how many feet did it take? Just want to get an idea.

I've never seen that as far as the dip stick, it's just too hard to tell whats up from the photos. The valve tubes, you are missing the spring that holds the tubes in. You can't see the Orings unless you pull it. I'll take a photo of the spring later and post it.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I ordered 19ea of 1/8"X 12' SS solid round (228') to close in my cage and I used all of it. My largest openings are 4" square but converge toward the center.
    Last edited by aerokirk; 03-10-2016 at 04:51 PM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Papee, it appears that the steel pickup tube, where it lays in the pan, has rubbed a hole in very thin aluminum that covers it. IF the tube was cast into the pan then it may not be an issue. As far as missing parts under the valve covers, I need to check my other engine. I don't see how I could get two motors both overhauled with metal tags could have these issues. It is a huge setback for me. My plans were to be up and running, on the water, by the end of the month. The engine runs well as you guys can see but I am an electrician......I absolutely hate oil, especially when it is leaking out of something of mine that depends on it for its life. If I have to buy these "spring retainers" for the pushrod tubes, how much will I be out for that? I am not sure I can handle the valve adjustment to finish up that repair?

Kirk, Thank you very much for your reply. Your cage looks awesome. I originally wanted to go with fence wire but don't want to have to be repairing it all of the time. Hand-laid wire looks 100 times better anyways. I have local prices on 1/8 stainless at $.40 per foot. I am a little worried about welding stainless to the mild galvanized steel though so I am getting a price on cold rolled steel rod stock tomorrow. I like the looks of your cage but I would rather my openings be larger near the front of the cage and a lot smaller at the rear, where the prop is much closer to the cage. Whether I can come up with a decent design to achieve that is a different story though. I would like for my kids to be able to ride in the boat with me and that extra piece of mind would be immense for me, as one is 9 and the other is 5.

Corky, I ordered a gallon of the quickslick bottom coating today. Again, I appreciate the info.

Looks like I better get those throttle brackets done if you're on that timeframe...I used the cold rolled steel...Off the top of my head I'd say 12 10ft pieces did the whole boat even the wire under the seat...My grid spacing is a little more than 4 inches I wanted to get my hands in there for maintenence..I have'nt read the 084 valve adjustment procedure but if you need to pull the rockers {mabe you don't need to} to get the retainer in there simply index the locknuts and count the turns coming off...Reinstall using the same amount of revolutions...My engine is sitting in the crate at the moment or I'd check the oilpan...Something is definitely wrong there but as Papee stated I can't tell exactly what...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

He doesn't have the springs listed on the site. I'll stop by and see if he has any but it will be a few days yet before I can drive because of my surgery. You can handle it, All you have to do is remove the two rocker bolts, put on the spring, then torque them back down. No adjustment needed. The head I have has no rockers on it so the spring isn't there. I'm sure they are cheap, only a buck or two.

Awesome Papee, I do appreciate it. I guess can you check on the o-ring seals as well? I will be more than happy to pay for it via paypal or check and cover the shipping and compensate you for your time. Thanks again!

Here's something you need.....I'll PM you with the details..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Awesome Corky! Check will be in the mail today.....I really appreciate the sacrifice you made to take time away from your build to help me out. Just goes to show what a good group of guys we have on here!

I'm still here guys. Just had the boat on the back burner for a while. Cage is done!