Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: aewrigh's build

Re: aewrigh's build

Well that was a wasted trip feels like. Boat wouldn't get on plane and so I started lowering it back to where I had it in small increments and it was slowly getting better until it started dropping idle rpm. Then wouldn't spin up like I had increase pitch. Finally noticed my throttle cable had slipped at the pedal. Tried to fix that but didn't have any danged metric tools in the truck so couldn't fix that. Then it was hard to start and running like total crap stumbling and barely made it back to the trailer. Once on the trailer I tried to run it and it was running real rough at low rpm's, real hard to get to fire when cranking over, and wouldn't spin up many rpm's at all. Maybe it was flooding out???

Ah...You got to love the stock carbs...I bet there's dirt in the carb...Papee does a modification to the carb to keep the small particles from clogging it up...But don't feel bad I need to pull the carb bowl on my kohler engine a few times a year to clean the needle,seat and emulsion tube with this crap gas that's being sold...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Not to mention a few backfires. Let's just say I have a 34 pict 3 carb in my eBay cart and I am hovering over the checkout button already.....

I know Papee said he needs to tap his carb every time he unloads it off the trailer to get the float into position...I guess it sticks frequently...Do you notice the dreaded flat spot when you hit the gas ??? With no accelerator pump I imagine it's pretty evident with that carb...
    I wouldn't get too discouraged that seems to be a simple carb to work on...Pull the bowl and check the needle/seat for junk and if you pull the metering tube or idle jets just make sure to count any adjustment threads {from being bottomed out in the carb body} so you get them back in exactly where they're adjusted originally...I've got my carb teardown procedure down to the point where it's a quick inconvenience not a trip killer... Don't forget to look at the 084 documents in the 084 forum there's a breakdown of the carb parts{page 5-15} Here's the link... http://miniairboatassoc.com/084/4A084a.pdf
    Last edited by Corky; 07-24-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

The float sticking is common. Your metering tube is probably clogged. It's a quick fix just a screw driver and blow it out. I've torn my carb off and apart more than a couple times while on the river. I don't miss that at all. I started carrying a spare carb at the end.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Thanks guys....I was so frustrated last night I parked it and went inside the house. I will mess with it some this evening.

Hi Aeron,
    Sorry I haven't chimed in but I've been at the EAA Oshkosh Airshow. Looking at your videos I would say that you are definitely running stern low and if your engine is already tilted front high then I wouldn't raise it any more but would instead try moving your battery or gas tank forward. I also heard the unmistakable whine of the idler pulley running on the back side of the drive belt. I would back that off some as it will run better without the tension (yeah, you'll hear some belt slap but I've run mine for over 150 hours without any belt damage). You might consider safety wiring the adjustment bolt to the reducer housing as it may vibrate off like mine did and go through the prop $$$
    Last edited by aerokirk; 08-02-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Hey Aaron did you have a chance to clean the carb out yet ??

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Hey guys! This whole divorce thing hasn't hit me nearly as hard as I thought it would. I have only sold my 084 engines and reduction unit so I still have everything else. Before I completely give up my dream of having a good running mini, I am pondering trying one more time. The guy who bought my engines said he believed I probably needed around 100 HP to push my hull/rigging after looking at it. If anyone has any suggestions on a different engine, reduction, and prop setup, I am all ears! Hope everyone has been doing well!

hey aeron glad to see you haven't given up yet. after all your bad luck i'm supprised to see you around. glad you are. i had a 3.8 v6 engine on my big boat until i busted a prop and broke the distributor off the engine. piece of the wooden prop bounced off the cage and hit the distrubitor. but it was a darn good engine and would plane that heavy 12' boat with 4 people. i almost put a 4.3 v6 on my new boat but decided to give the 084 another try. the chevy v6 is my favorite airboat motor and comes stock with 140 hp and up to 165 stock depending year and model vehicle. you don't need a reduction for it unless you plan to climb some trees. that is the cheapest way i can see to go. get a whisper tip whirlwind prop and an adapter for it lxl bolt pattern. they make two. one fits up to 1985 and the other fits 1986 and later. i have the prop adapter for a late model. 86 and newer. i have a 4 bbl carburetor and an intake manifold and a new distributor all never been used except carburetor. i bought for when i decided not to use the v6. you might consider a newer engine chevy makes i think it is some lighter too. i think airboat pros installed some of these on a few boats. just take your pick. plenty to choose from depending how deep your pockets are. good luck on your decision. you can change the intake on later model fuel injected and use a carburetor just by changing the intake. i think they called them ecotek engines that airboat pros (chuck) used.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 02-07-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

The only thing I would be afraid of would be weight. My boat bottom is only 4.5' wide and I remember with the 084 on it, I could lean and almost dip the back corner into the water. I know it would set even lower in the water with 3-4 times the engine.

I had forgot your boat was that narrow. If it were me i think a rotax engine with gear box if possible. I just don't like the high revving engines. Might be not as bad with a razor prop. They are very quiet and good push. A 2.65 to 1 ratio gear box sounds just about right. i've got a provision 4 i think gear box if you decide to go that way. the only bad thing it needs bearings. i think some rotax engines put out over 80 hp. twice as much as 084 but twice the rpm too. your prop would fit right on a rotax gear box. but if you had to go belt drive they are not as expensive as the circle s.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 02-07-2018 at 03:45 PM.

glad to hear that you are getting back on your feet, a place to look for a motor, is like the one like what Rollbar was thinking of buying, a complete setup from an ultralight, a year ago. if you come across a deal like what he was looking at, you would have an complete motor, gearbox & prop for under 1000.00 and it was rated at 65 hp.
    i know what you mean by seeing the back corner dipping. my little hull. was fun to play on. the kid put it though the paces, but an 70 lb motor assembly, was almost to heavy. and if i went on an diet, it could have helped out just a little also.

http://miniairboatassoc.com/forum/sh...hlight=rollbar
    Last edited by Bart; 02-07-2018 at 04:20 PM.

I was thinking that the Rotax was about my only option. I just don’t know anything about them. I would also like to keep everything I do under the 2500-3000 budget if possible. I did, however, run across another option today. I was reading up on the Suzuki G13 and g15 engines.......100-146hp.

I would feel more comfortable staying 4-stroke to be honest

look at the link below. on the back burner, i am looking for one of these 4 stroke motors, the power to weight ratio is awesome. and they are fuel injected.
    about the only way i could get into one of these is to come across one that is in a wrecked snowmachine. and start from there.

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.p...a-rx1-engines/
    https://ty4stroke.com/threads/yamaha...ircraft.16877/
    http://miniairboatassoc.com/forum/sh...ghlight=yamaha
    Last edited by Bart; 02-07-2018 at 05:49 PM.

http://www.hoverhawk.com/g15airboatengines.html

Check out these deals and let me know what y’all think. 100 hp turn key with gearbox and everything for just under 6k

wished i could afford 1 of those they ought to get the job done.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Might be worth the investment huh? All under 180 lbs fully dressed

Well I have located A complete, supposedly good running engine, 1991 tracker with a 1.6l engine. I believe that would make the engine a g16a sohc 8v engine. Specs show 80 h.p., tbi injection. One site said 230 lbs with water, oil, radiator, etc. reduction gearbox will be a bit over 2k. What do y’all think?