Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: aewrigh's build

Re: aewrigh's build

before I spoke with him I was contemplating running a small (35-50 amp) automotive alternator running it directly off of the crankshaft with a lovejoy coupling as opposed to running a belt.

Direct drive would probably be zero friction power loss, but I wonder if it would turn fast enough?
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Yeah I didn't think too much about that.....probably wouldn't get much amperage out but it wouldn't put much load on the motor either. Hey papee, got another question for you. I just got my tach in. It is a Faria part number TC9796B. Here is the information/options on the back: 4 cycle only, posts for battery, ground, and signal, rotary switch with settings 1-6 (4cyl set 1, 6 cyl set 2, 8 cyl set 3, 12 pole set 4. Is there anything different on your tach? I am just worried it won't work on the magneto.

also, did you come up with anything on my magneto issue with the wiring circuit?

You'll have to take a photo of your mag and wires so I can see it. Yep just set the tach on 4 cyl and the signal wire goes to the mag side and a "kiil" switch will be wired in.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Got my hoops bent with the jig I made. Next is to splice on for the needed height
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Ok I threw the hoops away for scrap metal.....I wasn't happy with them at all so I am starting over. I couldn't get them to keep from trying to go egg shaped at the top when I took it off the jig and put it on the boat. I did a little reading afterwards and read in a forum that they recommended building the jig roughly 15 percent smaller than your radius since this emt springs back so much. Sounds logical. Now I just have to find some 20 foot sticks of conduit because I am not going through that splicing crap again. Already frustrated enough.

Hey we're having some technical problems with the board so you will notice a few posts missing. We had to reset the forms twice now ad had to go back to this past Monday. We're still not sure what the problem is but we are working on it.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hi all sorry to butt in but I'm trying to get a tach hooked up. I have the tiny tach which isn't working right. Where did you get your tach from and papee when you say hook up to the mag side what do you mean. I have a kill swith that hooks to the tap on the back of the Fairbanks mag and another screw on the mag. Is this the wire I hook the signal wire too.

Also the way I built me main hoop was to make a jig that was only quarter of a circle and a little bit smaller then the overall diameter of the hoop. I made it out of 3/4 coduit 10 ft length. To splice it I took a piece about 8 in of 1/2 conduit and bent it and slid it inside te 3/4 and brazed it in place. Works great for me. I started out leaving a straight piece to mount to the deck and feeding my hoop through until I had no more conduit left. I then did two more like that with the third piece being the other part of the circle. Hope that helps

Steve
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Steve that signal wire would go right on your kill wire, when it is running you have the pulse there. When you kill it just grounds it out.

Ok thanks Papee, I just ordered one of the tachs mentioned above. Yeah I have a wire going from that little tab in the back od the mag going to a switch then a wire going back to one of the screws that holds the mag together. I actually just used trailer light wire for all my light wiring, Its cheap and you have a neat four wire bundle that is a lot cleaner then running separate wires and they are rated for 12v so they work great. That is as long as you don't plan on running any major lights that is lol. Thanks again for all the help papee. and ill keep watching this build and give some advise as asked. I am no pro but maybe I can help is some points. Regards Steve

yea just put the signal wire on the terminal on your switch that goes to the mag.

Hey aewrigh just wondering how your making out on your rigging.
    Steve

since the whole first botched hoop building attempt, I haven't messed with it any more. Still just collecting parts. I tried calling around to find some 20 foot sticks of conduit to build my new hoops (don't feel like doing the splicing/welding/smoothing again) but haven't had any luck. All of my local suppliers want me to buy 200 feet of it or they won't order it. I have also been meaning to weigh my boat but haven't gotten around to that either. I did, however, send off my stator to hank. He re-wound one that he had on hand and got it all ready before he called. I sent him my stator and 75 bucks....as soon as he gets it he will ship me the one he rewound. Stand-up guy for sure! He even went through the trouble to mount it on his buddies 4a084 to test it out.

Aewrigh glad to see you'll be getting a 12v stator soon. When I was building mine I looked everywhere for 20' lengths of conduit and couldnt find any. Like I said earlier I made a jig that was only a 1/4 circle where yours is half cicle. I started my hoop leaving a straight piece for the one leg then started bending it around and pushing the conduit as I went until there wast any conduit left. I then repeated this with two more. I then joined them together with the radius I needed by sliding a 1/2 piece inside and brazing it the joining to other half onto that one. There is very little joint mark that you can see. Also I took chalk and drew the full radius onto the ground so I had a guide to work with. It was really simpler then I make it out to be. I'll have to see if I can post a picture of tge jig and pipes I made.
    Regards Steve

Sorry there haven't been any updates. I'm sitting around with my thumbs tied. Can't get Circle S to put together a reduction unit for me. For a while communication was good and they told me they were cutting out parts for the units. Now I can't hardly get a hold of them. The lady told me 2 months ago that it would be 2 weeks and they would have all of the parts cut. Here it is September and I am still waiting.....it's getting harder and harder to leave the money alone that I put back for the reduction. So close to getting rid of all the airboat stuff I have acquired and just buy an outboard...

Aewrigh.....if you want an airboat I am considering selling mine. Its not finished but it is close. I'd be willing to part with it for what I have in it.

Oh and as far as cage hoops go..cut 1 stick in half and weld or braised each half to each end of a full stick. Bend it THEN grind it smooth. Mine came out fine.

Or if anyone is interested. Call me at 337-322-9349. My name is Rene'. I will give all specifics to anyone interested. I WILL show receipts for materials into this thing. It has a Lycoming O 235 C1 on it with a brand new 3 blade warp drive. Needs finishing. It will be a fast boat.

How much do you have in it?