Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lake buggy for ice

Re: lake buggy for ice

I rarely ran that engine over 5500 rpm at max trottle.I did not do any fiddling with the clutch or pulley to up my engine rpm to where it was in my snowmobile which was around 7800 rpm I think. If my memory is correct at wide open throttle the ration should be 1-1. The reduction was constantly changing because it was stock and to get the max performance youd have to do some adjustment and changes to the clutch and pulley. As for what the prop was spinning at I didn't have a clue.
    Nick

Forum Reader

Hi; I'm in Ontario Canada presently living in Noelville and grew up on an island on Lake Penage. We used air drives to travel ice during the cold months (-40f). The airboats worked well, but high seats were not used due to cold wind effects (a deck & windshield were prized). The boats were wood with high density poly on the bottom and lightalunamin protection on the sides (to above water level) due to abrasion from the snow and ice.Also the bow had a very slow long lift from the bottom upwards to allow a better climb from water to ice or onto snowbanks. Also prevented piling of wet snow (think snowplow) in front. The bottoms had to be extra strong to take the hammering effects of ice chunks etc. For better control brakes were installed (snow and ice are slippery) and .125 x 1 inch metal runners were added.

I hope this helps a bit
    Mike

Forum Reader

Quote Originally Posted by eskimoboy View Post
    Here are some of the pics from my second 670 build I used the clutch and pulley from the snowmobile also
    Do you think that the same set up would push a 12ft flat bottom across snow and ice with two people in it? Id probably go with a two blade prop. more torque i think?

I built my boat from lakebuggy.com. It was a fun build but just a toy. I used a Harbor freight Predator 420cc. It runs 25-30 mph. Smooth and slides for days in shallow water. I bet it would be a blast to run it on ice. I would ad some pic's but not familiar with the URL option.
    Last edited by Gg Kustomz; 07-18-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Forum Reader

Quote Originally Posted by Gg Kustomz View Post
    I built my boat from lakebuggy.com. It was a fun build but just a toy. I used a Harbor freight Predator 420cc. It runs 25-30 mph. Smooth and slides for days in shallow water. I bet it would be a blast to run it on ice. I would ad some pic's but not familiar with the URL option.
    Ice shouldn't be a problem. But the snow on top of it may be. I'm going to buy the lake buggy plans. Did you run a direct drive or reduction. What is your prop size and pitch. What was the total cost of your build?

I built mine direct drive with a 42x24 wood prop.
    Attached Images Attached Images